U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:57 AM

12,768 posts, read 3,234,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Nonsense. Why do Syrians have to travel half way around the world to a country and culture they know nothing about in order to receive help? Ask yourself that question honestly.
You can tell by questions like this how little is known about the subject in general and who it is that really needs to answer not only honestly but correctly.

Start by asking which countries have been accepting and/or receiving refugees (invited or not) besides the U.S., and in what quantities. Hint: there are plenty not "half way around the world," so not all Syrian refugees "have to travel half way around the world." At least get the basics right. Right?

Review of this interview might help bring some light to this subject full of darkness...

DANIEL BENJAMIN, Former State Department Coordinator for Counterterrorism: No, I donít think it will do anything to make us safer.

Since 9/11, there hasnít been a single case of a terrorist coming in from outside the country to carry out an attack. And so itís really hard to believe that this executive order is going to improve on the very, very good job that our immigration system does right now.

That system has been improved dramatically since 9/11. Applicants for visas or to immigrate here are screened many times against many databases with all kinds of information that might tell us something about them, and I donít think that this is going to in any way help. And, if anything, it will send the wrong signal and might undermine our security by further disturbing Muslim communities here at home about their feeling and increase their feeling of isolation and embattlement.

REUEL MARC GERECHT, Senior Fellow, Foundation for the Defense of Democracies: The Europeans are in a completely different situation, because they have had giant refugee waves, where there essentially was no processing, there was no security procedures set up, no interviews, essentially nothing. They just came over.

So, in that type of situation, of course, a group like the Islamic State or al-Qaida could implant people into those waves and use them. Now, the American system is much more laborious, much more time-consuming. Thereís a reason why there hasnít been a sleeper cell in any of the refugee programs in the United States, because it just ó youíre not guaranteed.

Why would you deploy a young holy warrior into a system that could take years and probably he might not even get status?

DANIEL BENJAMIN: Itís Holocaust Remembrance Day. Whatís going on in Syria is the worst humanitarian crisis since World War II. And we are punishing those who are suffering most in this circumstance, in this condition.

We vet refugees from Syria for a period of 18 to 24 months before theyíre allowed to come to the United States. And, you know, if you will permit me, I think we know more about them by the time they get here than we know about the presidentís finances.

Experts skeptical that limiting refugees would deter terrorism | PBS NewsHour

Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 AM

25,888 posts, read 39,178,572 times
Schiphol Amsterdam has stopped 5 men from traveling from Jemen and Syria to the US! Again, only men!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:07 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,461,270 times
With these stories comes out all of the opponents with human interest stories. Pictures of children in the war-torn area. Dead children and adults.

As a human being do I feel bad? Of course I do, because human life lost to atrocity is terrible.

But America is a country with only so much real estate and resources. I have traveled extensively i my lifetime (56 y.o.) in the U.S. I have seen countless homeless in most cities. I have been through enough poor neighborhoods with people living in shacks, torn clothing, barely enough food, etc that it's saddening.

Why shouldn't we focus on our own horror stories. Just because it isn't war related doesn't make it any less terrible to see what occurs in our own country. This is what I see as a inward refocusing, something I feel has been long overdue. I have grown weary reading of billions of dollars in aid sent overseas while we can't take care of our own. Our soldiers who fight for our freedom come back and are a mess for life and many times barely taken care of.

Will this prevent terrorism? No. Maybe en EMP that wipes out all worldwide communication will. This is about infrastructure and an attempt to begin strengthening from within.

That's my .02.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:09 AM

1,848 posts, read 1,704,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
We aren't the only ones who accept refugees. We are a melting pot of people who have came from all around the world. That is what America is.

Why did your ancestors come here?
Well, the difference was they wanted to come here to work, live and raise their families as americans. Syrian refugees are simply going where they will be taken in. Refugees have no such desires, and are more likely than not going to cause social strife in their new home because they cannot accept the culture and beliefs of the west. We have seen this even in second or third generation muslims in Europe. Their culture and radical religious beliefs are simply not compatible. That alone, and not terrorism should be reason enough to deny entry. Europe knows better than anyone that multiculturalism has failed and yet they are still too stupid to realize it.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 AM

200 posts, read 104,163 times
Haha!!! Keep these parasites out of our country! Love it!!!! And the NY times is trying to make me feel bad!!

Or we could have this like Europe.

This rape was broadcasted on facebook live in Sweden.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 AM

200 posts, read 104,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I'm unclear that there needs to be a choice between accepting refugee orphans and offering care for our veterans. It's possible to do both.

I wonder what happened to "compassionate conservatism"?

Time has a way of putting perspective on matters. Anytime we try to exclude or demonize the "other," we end up loking shameful and small as a country. Think "Loving v Virginia," Jim Crow, Japanese internment camps, McCarthyism, the rise of the KKK, etc. This will be looked on as another period of history when our country failed to live up to our values and I deals.

So continue to be proud of your country and one another. Some of of the views you are expressing in this thread will go down as among the most shameful examples of our age. :
WE are 20 T in debt! We can't take care of every third world sh**thole!!! Americans first!!!!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:24 AM

12,025 posts, read 5,136,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
The death of that Little Boy and the other 500k dead people in Syria and Libya is all on Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton's war mongering in the Middle East.

What we should do is import refugees and ship them to Obama and Hillarys neighborhoods and let them live with their mess.

Obama single handily is the main cause of the Syrian civil war. He also has thousands of drone strikes on under this belt.

I don't want Refugees coming here , and we the american people shouldn't have to take Refugees from Wars that our president started.

Obama starts a war. Displaces millions of people. Then wants us to import Muslim refugees from his mistake.. no sorry Obama , you take them in your neighborhood and live with them.
That wonderful "Arab Spring" Obama and Hillary promoted couldn't have been any more disastrous. Thank God the Egyptian military was able to take back control or we'd be talking about hundreds of thousands of Egyptian refugees as well.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:30 AM

4,094 posts, read 7,793,377 times
Quote:
I'm unclear that there needs to be a choice between accepting refugee orphans and offering care for our veterans. It's possible to do both.

Time has a way of putting perspective on matters. Anytime we try to exclude or demonize the "other," we end up loking shameful and small as a country. Think "Loving v Virginia," Jim Crow, Japanese internment camps, McCarthyism, the rise of the KKK, etc. This will be looked on as another period of history when our country failed to live up to our values and I deals.

So continue to be proud of your country and one another. Some of of the views you are expressing in this thread will go down as among the most shameful examples of our age. :
You might as well throw in Nazis, bigots, racists, sexists.

What do they have to do with US wanting to strengthen their border and immigration laws? Nothing. You know it. Everybody knows it.

You don't agree with me, so you are KKK, Nazis, bigots, racists, etc.

What nauseating and trite bull****!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:31 AM

11,086 posts, read 4,874,131 times
Quote:

Are you actually comparing acts of violence and active segregation with not letting hordes of foreigners flood the country?

We are in so much debt, we can't even afford to take care of our own, much less the entire planet. So unless you have a spare 20 tril to donate to the cause, spare the drama.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 AM

12,768 posts, read 3,234,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
With these stories comes out all of the opponents with human interest stories. Pictures of children in the war-torn area. Dead children and adults.

As a human being do I feel bad? Of course I do, because human life lost to atrocity is terrible.

But America is a country with only so much real estate and resources. I have traveled extensively i my lifetime (56 y.o.) in the U.S. I have seen countless homeless in most cities. I have been through enough poor neighborhoods with people living in shacks, torn clothing, barely enough food, etc that it's saddening.

Why shouldn't we focus on our own horror stories. Just because it isn't war related doesn't make it any less terrible to see what occurs in our own country. This is what I see as a inward refocusing, something I feel has been long overdue. I have grown weary reading of billions of dollars in aid sent overseas while we can't take care of our own. Our soldiers who fight for our freedom come back and are a mess for life and many times barely taken care of.

Will this prevent terrorism? No. Maybe en EMP that wipes out all worldwide communication will. This is about infrastructure and an attempt to begin strengthening from within.

That's my .02.
Again a common mistake you are making, with all due respect...

We don't address ALL our issues in terms of either/or. IOWs, we need to address the refugee problem because there are many consequences well beyond those you note if we don't. Please see my prior comment and that interview with people who know a bit more about all this than C-D posters.

I too have traveled a good deal around the world, and I am also glad we don't have the same levels of poverty and ignorance prevalent in other parts of the world (though sometimes I wonder about the level of ignorance). We are a very wealthy country as well, so we'd have to consider just what restriction of real estate and resources you are referring to. Either way, we can and should do better on all fronts; with our poverty rate, our lack of quality education, too few gaining access to opportunity. We also need to be intelligent about our international/foreign policies, because we can easily make matters worse rather than better under the guise of thinking we are more safe behind a big wall. Again refer to my prior comment and interview that explains all this a lot better than I can -- the pros AND THE CONS -- as I think we all need to learn better or there will certainly be far worse HELL TO PAY.

We may go from one POTUS to another and try this policy or that, but through it all and forever as long as we are alive, there will be the Muslims here and all over the world. Maybe we should think of accepting refugees as something of a "vaccination" to fight further infection rather than the other way around.

Possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies