U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 04:12 PM

35,061 posts, read 19,178,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Spend some money preventing employers from hiring illegals and call it a day. Crazy that we would waste 50 billion on a stupid gesture to satisfy some pretty ignorant voters.
Except that the wall IS NOT to satisfy some ignorant voters.

It's to satisfy Trump's enormous narcissism. That wall is to be his monument. The effect it'll have on immigration will be small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 04:13 PM

5,323 posts, read 1,981,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
All this wall talk. So, if you have to pay for the wall, would you rather spend the money to physically stop intruders with more border patrol?
Nope. Wall. Now.

Quote:
Can it even be done?
Yup. One foot in front of the other.

Quote:
Which is cheaper in the long run?
Irrelevant. More border patrol is not an effective solution. Anything that can easily be reversed or bypassed by liberals is not an effective solution.

Quote:
Finally, what stops Mexicans et al from simply flying to Canada and walking south? Will we need another wall?
Money. Canadian Immigration and border patrol. Inclination. Cold weather. The number of people doing this will be insignificant, comparatively.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:21 PM

3,592 posts, read 7,690,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Nope. Wall. Now.
Absolutely! I have a very attractive piece of wall for you. It is the best section of wall. It can be yours now for 11,000 pounds sterling.

You won't get to see it, but I promise you, it will stop those damn Mexicans, solve illegal immigration, and clean your teeth!

Checks must clear before wall will be built.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:22 PM

20,339 posts, read 13,828,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
None of them are law abiding. If they were they wouldn't be here and working here illegally.
You know what i mean. There are families with a mother and father, who yes are breaking the law by being here illegally, but they are not otherwise thieves, gangbangers, or thugs.

Quote:
I feel no empathy for illegal aliens and their kids.
Maybe you should. Empathy does not mean your grant amnesty. Empathy just means you understand their predicament.

A child born in Mexico, brought into the USA as a toddler does not know where the parents were going to, or why, the child is just along for the ride. Then they learn to walk and talk, go to school, etc... growing up thinking they are a US citizen, only to find out one day as a teenager, that they were born in Mexico.

I do feel empathy for these kids, they had no power over where their parents decided to raise them. All they know is life as an American.

You can feel empathy for them, and still feel they need to go back to Mexico with their parents. But don't tell me you want to pretend to be so thick headed you cannot understand the circumstances in which these kids find themselves in.

Quote:
Empathy that includes any member of the family here illegally rewards their parents for bringing them here illegally. They know the culture and language of their homelands. What's the difference? Kids often have to re-locate with their parents when they change jobs, etc. They adapt. Let me ask you this does that mean you'd allow these kids brought here illegally to remain here but deport their parents? Isn't that the separation of family that illegals and their supporters keep wailing about? I'll wait for your answer but I won't hold my breath.

Trump had better not offer any amnesty and least of all our citizenship to any of these people.
Get ready, because he just might offer these kids a way to remain in the US, as long as they follow the law to become a naturalized citizen.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:23 PM

10,765 posts, read 10,127,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Except that the wall IS NOT to satisfy some ignorant voters.

It's to satisfy Trump's enormous narcissism. That wall is to be his monument. The effect it'll have on immigration will be small.
The wall is because for over 30 years our government has been promising tighter border security and stopping of the inflow of illegal aliens. It has been promised over and over again since the Reagan amnesty, but it was all BS. Washington can SAY they will tighten up the border, or implement E Verify, but at this point, who in their right mind would believe them?

Maybe if they would have taken care of the problem in the last 30 years, nobody would be calling for a wall now. Unlike policies, you can't lie about a wall. It is either there or it's not.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 PM

843 posts, read 447,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
^^^The mindset of a Trump loving pseudo conservative.^^^

Amazing the amount of sociopathic behavior exhibited on this board from them.
Some, I assume, are good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Still on the 'round them up' scree I see. Try something new, besides starting out by insulting the person you are trying to debate.

A person trained in Mexico in construction, comes to the US illegally, and works construction for $6 an hour, depresses the wages that US citizens who work construction were getting paid $10 or $15 an hour to do.

Illegal aliens picking crops for cheap wages, depresses job where US workers could have built and sold automated equipment to that farmer to harvest those same crops.

Illegal immigrants, working for pennies on the dollar upsets our entire economy. Of course some people will be winners, that's why our corrupt politicians refuse to enforce our laws, because someone with deep pockets is paying them not to enforce immigration law.
I'll bite.

Let's say the undocumented immigrants have done everything they say you have. Working for less, and not paying taxes on it, because they are working in the shadows. The undocumented immigrant loses their jobs, so does that construction worker. The undocumented immigrant needs to find a job immediately or they will starve, along with their family, so they accept something at a lower rate. The construction worker who is a citizen or permanent resident with work authorisation simply can go on government unemployment assistance, SNAP, home heating if needed, and a copious amount of other government assistance programmes. The undocumented immigrant has nothing.

It would thus benefit the economy to bring them out of the shadows and into the real economy, wouldn't it? After all, all of those undocumented immigrants would now be documented and given a path to citizenship would then be entitled to proper wages, pay taxes, and everything else that already made this country great.

I do not see the solution to this problem besides this, and have been waiting to see one from you. I'll refrain from restating what our President has suggested as you apparently take umbrage to it - so be it, but I'd be interested in knowing what your idea of resolving this conundrum is - a border wall won't fix these issues.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 PM

62,647 posts, read 34,149,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Really? Maybe when they go to the store they pay some sales taxes. Otherwise, half of the illegals get payed working under the table or work for themselves, avoiding other taxes.
Yes, really, and no, not just sales tax.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 PM

20,339 posts, read 13,828,193 times
Quote:
Criminals and terrorists aren't interested in jobs. $50 billion? Where are you getting that number? The ignorant ones are those who would rather spend $113 billion year taking care of illegal aliens. Now that's ignorance!
If it costs $200 billion over the next tens years, just say tanks to all the many decades our corrupt politicians refused to enforce the law.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:28 PM

3,592 posts, read 7,690,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The wall is because for over 30 years our government has been promising tighter border security and stopping of the inflow of illegal aliens. It has been promised over and over again since the Reagan amnesty, but it was all BS. Washington can SAY they will tighten up the border, or implement E Verify, but at this point, who in their right mind would believe them?

Maybe if they would have taken care of the problem in the last 30 years, nobody would be calling for a wall now. Unlike policies, you can't lie about a wall. It is either there or it's not.
So... You expect that the same government that deliberately failed to enforce laws when confronted with money will change all of that because... wall?

If four decades of wealthy corporations buying government policy has been more effective than than the desires of voters in flyover country, why on earth would you or anyone else expect that behavior to change now?

Just a heads up, it was the conservative party that is currently in power that pushed through corporate personhood. More money is in politics now than ever before.

Even for a group of voters who only understand "alternative facts" must surely understand that this is at most a distraction.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:31 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,108,425 times
I'n not for a wall (that will do absolutely nothing) what so ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or