Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 02:28 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I work as a part time cashier at a grocery store. Funny thing, I'm going to say, for every 100 customers that come through with a food stamp card, at least 99 of them were not born here, and are immigrants, quite recent might I add, because they do have very thick accents. Please, tell me where else could I as an American citizen, go and move to another country because I don't like this one, and get a job, benefits and welfare. My life is getting worse and more harder, inflation going through the roof, the paycheck not keeping up, but because I am a responsible adult not popping out kids that I can't afford, don't have any special interest groups to stick up for me, or organizations I can turn to for help. My only option is to either get a third job, or just stop paying some bills and ruin my credit. I'm not against migration, obviously my ancestors were immigrants. But, I just think it's only fair that if my family can come here with nothing, and make something of themselves without asking for handouts, there is no reason why the newer immigrants can't as well. I'm tired of my quality of life going to hell because I am being over taxed and regulated so some immigrant can have the plush life. I can't even afford to run my AC in the summer, but the next door neighbors from one of the island countries seem to run the ac on a big house thanks to vouchers, drive around in Mercedes and BMW's and dress in high end clothes thanks to selling drugs and every night, throw huge parties,thanks to the welfare their baby mama's are bringing in, smoking pot, driving recklessly around the neighborhood with expired license plates on their cars, go to sleep and not have to wake up until noon the next day, just to do it all over again. All of those activities in turn, cause my insurance on the house and car to go up because they are creating unsafe conditions, cost of food is going through the roof, and dread the day I have to actually go to the hospital for some major treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
This is reality. A hard working person not asking for anything other than a level playing field.
Hope you voted for Trump by the way.
This truly is reality; not that our President Donald J. Trump haters will ever accept it.

Oh wait, had Hillary come up with the idea they'd be falling all over themselves to support the Wall. . . but then, in reality she couldn't because she wouldn't get all those votes from her illegals voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 02:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
People are on food stamps because they meet the specific poverty level income standards to be eligible for food stamps. You cannot be wealthy and claim food stamps. We have more people on food stamps, because we have created more poor people over the past decade or so.
The number of people on food stamps is about 4 million less today than it was few years ago.

Not that it has anything to do with the topic.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope, no amnesty! We tried that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegals here today. When do these amnesties end? Allowing them to remain here would negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration for years. No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them and then reward them for doing so? Hell no!

There won't be any mass deportations. Just remove the incentives for them to remain here and enforce the laws on the books as they are found. The illegal parents of U.S. born kids can all go back together to the homeland. The so-called U.S. citizen kids can return when they become of age if they so choose. Oh please, not this ole BS that they are only doing jobs that Americans won't do! Who do you think were doing them for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? They have flooded the construction, landscaping, hotel, restaurant industries, etc. Americans need those jobs back and amnesty won't accomplish that.

I don't care who pays for the wall just build it because it's worth it.
And Congress approved Section 245(i) amnesty in 1994, 1997 and 2000, with the numbers increasing each time they did it.

Then there was the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act, and the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act.

Now it's time for the American Relief and Fairness Act so we're taking care of our own instead of burdening our own while helping those who didn't care about entering legally.

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
People are on food stamps because they meet the specific poverty level income standards to be eligible for food stamps. You cannot be wealthy and claim food stamps. We have more people on food stamps, because we have created more poor people over the past decade or so.
Beg to differ.

In my state many of welfare families are comprised of unmarried couples. Mom can prove her income is low so she qualifies for anything she and the kids need. Dad works as a roofer, flooring installer, cement finisher or anything the state does not license. The contractor does not need to be licensed in most trades. The dad gets paid under the table in cash or if check, subs tell me they just take the check to the bank it is written on and nobody knows they made any money. Took me about 2 weeks remodeling a house in Texas to figure out the game. Now we do the work ourselves. If I have to hire, I look for redneck deplorables.

It is a racket. Then the state and the feds drop all kinds of money on the schools due to kids on reduced and free lunch. They don't have lunch money, but they damn sure have phones.

Yeah, I'm in for paying for the wall.

My only wish is that employers be jailed. Million dollar fines are just a cost of doing business.

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The whole WALL thing is just stupid.

People have this vision that every illegal alien coming into this county is dragging their dirty ass across the desert and swimming the Rio Grande.

The thing is, many if not most fly in on tourist visas from all over the world and then just 'loose themselves' somewhere in our country and never leave.
Well, border patrol agents won't stop visa overstays, so border patrol is stupid too. Right?

Everything, when judged all by itself, is stupid, so should we not do a damn thing at all, since nothing all by its lonesome is a fool proof remedy to stop people from violating immigration law?

Old 01-28-2017, 02:33 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I wish you would have asked this more specifically, perhaps in a poll:

If you were a huge supporter of Trump's idea for a wall, would you be willing to be taxed an extra $3000 for the building of it, and an extra $300 per year thereafter to maintain it and pay for the manpower?

I don't know where you are getting your figures but I'll roll with it. Let's make a deal! Those who don't want the wall will have to cover the share of the $113 billion a year that illegals cost us for those of us who do want the wall. The wall is a one time expense plus maintenance. The $113 billion is the cost for each and every year that illegals incur on the taxpayer and will only rise unless we do something to deter them. I'll gladly pick up the tab for someone who don't want the wall. Now who's on the losing end of this deal? Sounds like a plan to me!

Old 01-28-2017, 02:35 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There's always been a path to citizenship ever since we had immigration law. It is called apply for legal residency like everybody else!

What you are talking about is amnesty. As a legal immigrant myself, that's just outrage.
Yep I understand why you would think it unfair. Life is not always fair.

Unfortunately, the US govt did not enforce our borders and immigration policy.

As a country, we are somewhat complicit in the condition that illegal immigrants who are not criminal, but are simply trying to improve their lives find themselves.

Given than, a compromise is reasonable in my opinion. You are free to disagree.

As an American and as a rational person, I don't see the benefit of penalizing millions of people who are peacefully abiding amongst us. Sure, we could deport them, but why? They are doing jobs that we need and want done.

Cut the flow of illegals off and then deal with the ones we have allowed to stay here for years.

Additionally, it would be a brilliant move on the part of Republicans imo to grant these people a path to citizenship and potentially obtain their vote in the future.

Most Mexican illegals that I know are far more conservative than liberal.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Beg to differ.

In my state many of welfare families are comprised of unmarried couples. Mom can prove her income is low so she qualifies for anything she and the kids need. Dad works as a roofer, flooring installer, cement finisher or anything the state does not license. The contractor does not need to be licensed in most trades. The dad gets paid under the table in cash or if check, subs tell me they just take the check to the bank it is written on and nobody knows they made any money. Took me about 2 weeks remodeling a house in Texas to figure out the game. Now we do the work ourselves. If I have to hire, I look for redneck deplorables.

It is a racket. Then the state and the feds drop all kinds of money on the schools due to kids on reduced and free lunch. They don't have lunch money, but they damn sure have phones.

Yeah, I'm in for paying for the wall.

My only wish is that employers be jailed. Million dollar fines are just a cost of doing business.
So because some people are criminals who game the system to obtain things they did not earn, then the entire Food Stamp program is.... is what? Stupid?

We need better enforcement, and better management. Many social welfare programs like Food Stamps have become politicized. The people running these agencies just want as many people as possible on these programs, so they will vote a certain way to keep the free stuff coming.

The reality is, that there truly are poor people, legitimately down on their luck, and their children really would go hungry without our assistance.

The plan is not to crash the system because of the leeches and freeloaders, it's to better manage the system so those who need our assistance, get it.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
All this wall talk. So, if you have to pay for the wall, would you rather spend the money to physically stop intruders with more border patrol?
Sure, I'll pay for it.

It's a simple matter of a Cost-Benefit Analysis.

It costs more to not have a wall, than to have one.

The wall will keep out illegals, criminals, guns, drugs, and back-pack nukes just to name a few things.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yep I understand why you would think it unfair. Life is not always fair.

Unfortunately, the US govt did not enforce our borders and immigration policy.

As a country, we are somewhat complicit in the condition that illegal immigrants who are not criminal, but are simply trying to improve their lives find themselves.

Given than, a compromise is reasonable in my opinion. You are free to disagree.

As an American and as a rational person, I don't see the benefit of penalizing millions of people who are peacefully abiding amongst us. Sure, we could deport them, but why? They are doing jobs that we need and want done.

Cut the flow of illegals off and then deal with the ones we have allowed to stay here for years.

Additionally, it would be a brilliant move on the part of Republicans imo to grant these people a path to citizenship and potentially obtain their vote in the future.

Most Mexican illegals that I know are far more conservative than liberal.
Why??? How about to put our construction guys back to work???? Or to put our citizens back in the hospitality business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies