Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 03:16 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Wow, that's nuts.

Excellent point about there being dozens of such companies providing similar services. That seems fairly obvious.

Also, this isn't just about Facebook, or (as pointed out numerous times above) one particular party or candidate. Or even the U.S. (see 2sleepy's info on the UK government investigation).

So, perhaps the bigger question to discuss is what needs to be done (if anything) to control this going forward.

Maybe we can take what you say more seriously when all these articles basically "See, this is why Trump won and why Brexit happened!" Basically looking like an excuse for losing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
Exactly. Sure it’s possible but the real question is how effective were they? Did they really made anyone change their vote?

Let’s say they targeted conservatives and they just motivated them to vote. In that case it is more like advertising than brainwashing.
Please watch the video that I posted a link to, this is not just ordinary advertising, it's dirty deeds on steroids. You might think that what they did is ok but I don't, there is a big difference between their tactics and advertising

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
To believe what, that people are influenced by what they see and hear? I hardly think that needs to be proven if people couldn't be persuaded there would be no such thing as advertising.
Exactly right. The company created an entire web of false information. They inundated the platforms so that the BS was all over the place confirming each other. Putin wanted to do here what he as done in Russkieville.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Poor baby. Now he's only worth a paltry $69.5 billion .
Must be tough . He has a family now , I hope he can get by on that .

267 posts, read 122,061 times
Quote:
Did you watch the video and see exactly how CA operates? If not I would suggest that you do.
I know we don’t have enough information to know how effective their methods were which is what I care about.

Time for people to:
- Stop liking and disliking things of Facebook, Youtube etc
- Stop talking about politics online
- stop taking stupid surveys
- stop loading your photos and life online unless you can make an income out of it.

Sure we all have posted too much about ourselves and political views in the past but if we start today they are gonna run out of recent data eventually.

I personally never gonna like anything ever again. Not even a reputation point.

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Quote:
Watch the video and read the guardian article about CA and then we can talk. It's not about new technology, it's about 270,000 facebook users completing some kind of online personality test and Cambridge Analytica obtaining the complete profile of all of their friends, a total of 50 million people https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...act-on-society

And it's about CA bragging in the video I linked about how they can shape opinion by using the hopes and fears of the public and how it's not necessary to tell them the truth all that matters is if they believe it
What is your point, that many people are gullible? This is somehow news? And what is the solution? I can guess that one: lock up everyone who doesn't agree with a "chosen" candidate's point of view so they can't vote the "wrong" way?

This is beyond FUBAR.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:18 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
If you want to state that targeted advertising or propaganda constitutes the lack of a free and fair election, then you are going to delegitimize every election since before WWII. A rise in sophistication means nothing if the medium was not before criticized to any great extent.

And you think that the libs didn't use techniques that were similar enough to be indistinguishable in essence if not down to the specific technique? Get real.

Last, questioning election legitimacy based on advertising or released information simply impugns the free agency of every voting American.

You do not, nor does anyone else, have the right to do that.

Americans are not babies. They all have the right to consume and filter, for themselves, every piece of information out there. Lie or not. Because there will always be lies and exaggerations in elections seasons. This complaint amounts to "the voters liked the opposition propaganda too much, and our propaganda not enough" .
nice synopsis.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Seems to me, there's an awful lot of people who enjoy handing over their "lives and privacy" to reside in the "online paradise" of "Suckerberg". Not me, baby!

Old 03-19-2018, 03:19 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
again, since Hillary lost because of this and will be better prepared next time. Why doesn't she run again? I would be encouraged to run again if I was told I only lost because of outside factors

Old 03-19-2018, 03:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Seems to me, there's an awful lot of people who enjoy handing over their "lives and privacy" to reside in the "online paradise" of "Suckerberg". Not me, baby!
No, we all just reside in the "online paradise" of City Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies