Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times

Advertisements

Dems still looking for the reason they lost a year and a half after the election. Their candidate was the reason.

I hate Facebook so glad to see it's taking heat, we're better off without social media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Dems still looking for the reason they lost a year and a half after the election. Their candidate was the reason.
Lol, it seems they will never accept that. I voted for Hillary, but at least I can admit she was a horrible candidate, and I voted out of self interest only; her and Trump both sucked, she sucked more.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The market is so over valued that it doesn't/won't take much to bring it back to earth.
"For the period 1950 to 2009, if you adjust the S&P 500 for inflation and account for dividends, the average annual return comes out to exactly 7.0%."

I don't see where the bubble lies. 1980 to 2017 return averages much higher - closer to 10%.

So, either the economy is shrinking and horrible....or the stock market is not overvalued. Which is it?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
wait, I thought it was Russia that swung the election ?!?
Course, it appears you haven't done any looks into how Russia and American co- Conspirators weaponized all the personal individual data ! Guess, you are one of those that got DUPED

https://investigaterussia.org/media/...sia-connection
[QUOTE]As far as I’m aware, we’ve never worked for a Russian company,†Mr. Nix added. “We’ve never worked with a Russian organization in Russia or any other country, and we don’t have any relationship with Russia or Russian individuals.†LIAR LIAR PANT on FIRE!!

But Mr. Nix’s business did have some dealings with Russian interests, according to company documents and interviews.

Mr. Nix is a director of SCL Group, a British political and defense contractor, and chief executive of its American offshoot, Cambridge Analytica, which advised the Trump campaign. The firms’ employees, who often overlap, had contact in 2014 and 2015 with executives from Lukoil, the Russian oil giant.

Lukoil was interested in how data was used to target American voters, according to two former company insiders who said there were at least three meetings with Lukoil executives in London and Turkey. SCL and Lukoil denied that the talks were political in nature, and SCL also said there were no meetings in London.[/quote]

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/u...tw-nytpolitics

^^I have a feeling that the British will hold accountable these folks!!

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...P=share_btn_tw

MY questions WHY oh why would you even ask HOW is Russia involved?? Credibility of that silly question exposes your lack on Informations or worse.. trolling ignorance!!!

BTW @Domintian ~~ Elections are way past 2016... fast forward.. we are now in 2018~~Russians with the assistance of POTUS doing ZIP to curtail Russian Hackings/collaborating ( most likely) speaks volumes for 2018 mid-terms.

YES Russia influenced.. and much to DJT and GOP incumbent's dismay .. American voters WILL denounce and BOOT such corruption that been perpetuated !

Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Are you assuming FB charged the research firms highly (or at all) for this data?

From my knowledge, and that includes a top data guy in a POTUS campaign (a winning one), such was not the case. FB allowed access through certain development apps for a specific reason -

"while studying for a PhD in fashion trend forecasting, he came up with a plan to harvest the Facebook profiles of millions of people in the US, and to use their private and personal information to create sophisticated psychological and political profiles. And then target them with political ads designed to work on their particular psychological makeup.

“We ‘broke’ Facebook,†he say"

"And he did it on behalf of his new boss, Steve Bannon."
"Most damning of all, he had a letter from Facebook’s own lawyers admitting that Cambridge Analytica had acquired the data illegitimately."

Doesn't sound like FB was even paid for the data - yet you say they LOVED the money they were making.
Facebook apparently embraced this kind of technology, this is how they pimped it to advertisers:

Facebook showed advertisers how it has the capacity to identify when teenagers feel “insecureâ€, “worthless†and “need a confidence boostâ€, according to a leaked documents based on research quietly conducted by the social network. The internal report produced by Facebook executives, and obtained by the Australian, states that the company can monitor posts and photos in real time to determine when young people feel “stressedâ€, “defeatedâ€, “overwhelmedâ€, “anxiousâ€, “nervousâ€, “stupidâ€, “sillyâ€, “useless†and a “failureâ€.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...insecure-teens

Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Nothing to see here:

"Revealed: Trump’s election consultants filmed saying they use bribes and sex workers to entrap politicians
An undercover investigation by Channel 4 News reveals how Cambridge Analytica secretly campaigns in elections across the world. Bosses were filmed talking about using bribes, ex-spies, fake IDs and sex workers."

https://www.channel4.com/news/cambri...-investigation

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This social-media monstrosity has changed and damaged our whole society immensely. Far more that's false and anti-social, passes through it, than anything resembling truth and goodwill between people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Steve, I know you and I disagree on many social issues, especially of the local nature based on where we live. I believe we can put those issues aside on this one. I swear I've lost job opportunities over the years due to my lack of a Facebook identity, even though I have a good LinkedIn identity. This giant known as Facebook has polluted the entire landscape we hold dear. It has gotten to the point in HR circles that if you do not have a Facebook identity you are considered to be antisocial and not worthy of job consideration. And if you DO have a Facebook account, it is dissected by HR in every way possible to deem you not hire able. I see no real upside to using Facebook, and it is getting dimmer every day. So glad I have a wonderful job and not dependent on social media.

The photo and video-hosting websites, Flickr and Vimeo are the closest I come to social media. Some posters have tied the threat that these Facebook breaches of privacy pose to people, to the network of surveillance cameras, whose gauntlet we have to run, every time we go anywhere. I don't wear a tinfoil hat, but I do keep my phone and debit card inside a little shielded bag, that I've bolstered with an envelope of thin aluminum sheeting.

No tracking of my wanderings is possible through those things and no "shoulder-surfers" with remote scanners can pluck my card information. Some identity thieves can stand on the sidewalk in front of a house and scan unprotected cards inside, with the latest of those devices.

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Did Cambridge Analytica also win the election for Obama when he used their services in 2012
In 2012, he was lauded for his brilliant use for the data that he mined.
In 2018, it's discovered that Trump may have done the same thing, but now it must be investigated as being a crime.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
did cambridge analytica also win the election for obama when he used their services in 2012
in 2012, he was lauded for his brilliant use for the data that he mined.
In 2018, it's discovered that trump may have done the same thing, but now it must be investigated as being a crime.
bs

Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, I brought that up. What does that have to do with Zuckerberg specifically?
I'm just guessing but I thought that he might have heard about this data breach in 2015, isn't that the kind of thing that usually is brought to the attention of the CEO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies