Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your position on Trump's travel ban:
I support the travel ban. 229 55.99%
I am against the travel ban. 110 26.89%
I support making modifications to the travel ban. 70 17.11%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,226,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the plan be be correct in thought- the execution was a flat out ckluster f WHERE IS GEN KELLY??? he was not even asked about this -- why appoint him-? why appoint anyone?? OH well BANNON-- just jumped ranks over other security heads at the WH-- wonderful!
Actually, he was. All involved agencies were notified and consulted well before the public announcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,653,538 times
I support the travel ban, but it should be extended.
When I immigrated legally to USA I was questioned if I was in the communist party or worked for Nazi Germany. Those were disqualifying questions. We need to add to this an affiliation to Islam. Every muslim should be banned from entering USA forever.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,449,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In a general sense I support the killing of the jihadists. That's exactly what the jihadists want.

Do innocents die? Of course.

But really - riddle me this - of the 250,000 who have died in Syria, how many do you think the USA has killed AND are innocents?

Yes, each life is important - but in the general realm of National Security numbers do matter. Thousands of your fellow Americans will die this month because they got into their car...often to do something they didn't need to do (get a snack, etc.).

I'm a history nut and so know the percentages and numbers from past American actions. Our wars often kill and wound MILLIONS of innocents.

Much of what is going on today is the backlash and results of the GWB era. We broke it and it can't be fixed so we are simply trying to be as effective as possible without great losses of life anywhere (except ISIS themselves).

This is why the "Bengazi" type of chants on right are downright ridiculous - as if a few lives mean anything in the great game.

Here's a thought experiment. Pretend it was 1998 to 2002. How many innocents in the middle east were being killed by either the American military or similar coalition forces? I think the number is near zero.....or in dozens.

Now we are in the millions in terms of displaced, dead, refugees, wounded, etc.

Which is better? Dozens or Millions?

Therefore, who did better - the GOP (started and prosecuted ALL these wars) or the Dems (who wound some down, changed the goals, etc.)???

Unfortunately there are a lot of our fellow Americans who cheer the deaths of millions in the middle east. It's hard to have a decent conversation when that is the case.

Any way you look at it, the basics were at least holding together until GWB broke the thing into pieces.
Well, as unfair as it is to place historical partisan, I will give it a winger! For the record, I am not dem or Rep. I actually voted for Obama, not for Bush, and not for Trump. I am a wait and see when their done kind of participant. But.....since you asked.

In 2008, Obama said he'd "end America’s grueling conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan." And in his second term, he" pledged to take the country off what he called a permanent war footing." Stating that Bush's war was "stupid war." He vowed to change that. Leaving the impression that he would remove America from senseless war. We were impressed!

Now that Obama is done, he leaves an extremely different legacy as he now hands his commander-in-chief hat to Donald Trump.

American forces have been at war for a total of eight years, the entire Obama’s tenure., the only and first 2 term president with that honor. Obama launched airstrikes and military raids in at least 7 countries, including Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan, Syria and Iraq.

This is the first time in ten years that there is the potential of an armed clash with America’s largest adversaries, Russia and China. That is thanks to Obama, not Trump or Bush. He did parades with American troops at Russia's border, to let them know we would act.

He expanded elite commando units, used tech like armed drones and cyber weapons, but it was war, lives were lost.

Obama left us wrapped up in low level conflicts all over the middle east with no end in sight. We will see how Trump removes us from that mess of a web.

We have secret drone bases in Africa now, and throughout the middle east. He moved troops to Europe because of his hate for Russia. He has micromanaged the military.

He approved NATO's air campaign in Lybia. Obama withdrew after Kadafi was killed — the country collapse in conflict and now has become a magnet for terrorist groups. (I won't mention Benghazi, but you know what happened. )

What he's left for Trump isn't any better than what Bush left for him. Islamic State is still in control of a large parts of both countries.
It's larger and more terrifying than Al Qaeda, with about 35,000 fighters, and followers. It's a self-declared caliphate and is responsible for the most deadly attacks around the world.

Obama finally admitted that he was not able to help get America out of the foreign wars, that came out of the Sept. 11th attacks. So this is what he's handing the new president. His broken promises and a new web of war throughout Europe and the Middle East that will be almost impossible to remove ourselves from.

Yes, Bush did start a "stupid war" as Obama and Trump have stated. But, Obama took that war and made a mess of it. He got us in further, not out as he promised. He didn't shut Guantanamo, he didn't offer a public option healthcare plan, and so now Trump is handed his failures, we will see how he handles it after taking the relay stick.

Most presidents D or R. understand the difficulties in promising anything. Which is why I think Trump has had an amazing first week. He seems to really adhere to what he says, and not give into what others think are impossible circumstances of the American government. So far he doesn't seem swayed by the challenge.

So yes, Bush made mistakes, although to his credit he wasn't handed anything easy either. Obama then made his and now I'm sure Trump will also make some. Time will tell. But, I'm happy so far. I'd like less war and more infrastructure. We only have so much money to hand out. Protective measures like this temp ban are more acceptable to me than drone strikes.

As far as your numbers on lives lost, let's hope the next four years leaves us with less than both. Better roads, bridges, more jobs, and better healthcare. Fingers crossed!!

Old 01-30-2017, 10:55 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,634,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Are the Saudi's training and radicalizing ISIS fighters? The bulk of terrorists and those being radicalized are from the "countries of concern" named on Obama's list (and I intentionally said "Obama's list" because he was the President that selected the countries on the list, not Trump).
They are radicalizing (teaching and training that the world should be based on Fundy Islam) 10's or 100's of millions of people.

If these "countries of concern" were so concerning, why do the stats not reflect it? Why has the FBI arrested more AMERICANS as terrorists than others? Should be ban Americans? Thought control? Minority Report?

Whether "the list" was made by Peter Pan is of no validity. Everyone knows we (Bush, Reagan, Bush II, Clinton, Obama, etc.) kiss up to the Saudis.

What we are saying is that - if you are going to claim it's a New Day and we are REALLY going to cut to the root of the matter, it's the Saudis and Pakistanis (governments) which represent the greatest threat.

There is also a big diff between terrorists and fighters/insurgents/etc/

The whole thing has become a convoluted mess - one which we have at least 3/4 of the blame for creating.

So, as the creators of the mess - what are our responsibilities? Do they include, for example, saving a small number of innocents? Do they include allowing translators who will be killed if left back home (for service US) to immigrate?

Be reasonable. There was absolutely no need for this ban in a national security sense. If we want to change immigration policy we can do it as usual - through the Congress. We are not seeing American bodies piling up here at home due to immigrants from these 7 countries.

On the other hand - compare the death rates on the streets of this country early in the 20th century from Italians (mob) and even Irish (various mobs) let alone anarchists (various Euro Nations)....

No comparison at all. The only blip on the chart is those terrorists from Saudi Arabia.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 AM

15,054 posts, read 10,048,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I'm not insinuating that you or Obama approve of the bombings of innocents. Simply stating that there was no outrage or protests as a result of Obama's orders. Sorry that your not smart enough to figure out the connection.
Insults... Thats all you have to stoop to.? How pathetic

If only you were smart enough to know how truly asinine your reasoning is. The two are unrelated. Casualties of war isnt the topic of this thread

Now if you were to mention that Obama had also issued a restriction to travel from Iraq in 2013 without all the outrage, then you would actually be discussing something on topic.

Are you going to predicate each discussion with "Obama killed innocent people..." for the next term? Like it actually relevant? You got to do better than that... Its as old as Bbbb but Bush....

Last edited by usayit; 01-30-2017 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 11:05 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,743,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
By omitting Saudi Arabia and Pakistan I don't think it merits the status of being a 'plan', seems more a PR stunt than anything e;se.
They were saying they might revise it to include more countries.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:19 AM

57,079 posts, read 26,047,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obama Selected The List Of Muslim Countries in Trump's E.O.

In February 2016, the Obama administration added Libya, Somali and Yemen to the list of countries one could not have visited — but allowed dual citizens of those countries who had not traveled there access to the Visa Waiver Program. Dual citizens of Syria, Sudan, Iraq and Iran are still ineligible, however.

So, in a nutshell, Obama restricted visa waivers for those seven Muslim-majority countries — Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Libya and Yemen — and now, Trump is looking to bar immigration and visitors from the same list of countries.
That was nit quite the same and it was just regarding visa waivers, Trump is proposing a ban on refugees from all countries for 120 days and Syria indefinitely. He is also placing a 90 day ban on visas with few exceptions. Since that travel ban was expanded to those additional countries is presently in place what exactly does Trump plan with regard to visas and why did he include refugees.

I also don't recall 85 year old women and children being detained at our airports and shipped back to their country,.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,261,789 times
I don't think the travel ban serves any purpose when you don't exclude countries that have actually harmed us like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. What is the point then? People from Iran have not caused us any trouble. Most the hjiackers from 911 were Saudia Arabia. Saudi residents are practicers of the most extreme form of Islam in wahhabism. Pakistan provided shelter to Bin Laden and kept him there secretly from the United States. A lot of terrorists still hide in Pakistan which is well known to the Pakistani government that does nothing to address them. So to me, what is the point of this when the countries that actually have terrorists are not banned from entering this country.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,532,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't think the travel ban serves any purpose when you don't exclude countries that have actually harmed us like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. ....
Trump's EO did not specify any countries. It referred to a list of countries created by the Obama administration.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,261,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Trump's EO did not specify any countries. It referred to a list of countries created by the Obama administration.
What is the point of your response. The thread asked what do I think of the travel ban and I said I don't think it really provides any benefit because it doesn't exclude Saudia Arabia and Pakistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies