Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your position on Trump's travel ban:
I support the travel ban. 229 55.99%
I am against the travel ban. 110 26.89%
I support making modifications to the travel ban. 70 17.11%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:27 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

President Trump tweeted the following this morning:

"If the ban were announced with a one week notice, the 'bad' would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad 'dudes' out there!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The vast majority who are on this forum, yes. But we all know this is a hang-out for Trumpistas and wing nuts so I doubt it reflects what America in general want.
The polls on this site predicted for a long time that Trump would win the election too.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:32 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I support the travel ban, because according to 8 USC 1182, he is allowed, if not REQUIRED, to do it. He is obeying the LAW! Look it up.

"...when Obama did it, people could accept that he was acting in the interest of national security and not for the purpose of discriminating against Muslims."
Right.
I have read that clinton, carter, and reagan also did something similar. Was it discriminatory then, or does that only apply to trump?
sorry, your bigotry is showing. I guess as long as it is against trump, bigotry is OK these days.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
They are identified as countries with terrorist risks so my question is why hasn't traveled been banned from those countries for years now?

It just so happens that the countries with terrorist activity that pose a thread also happen to be majority Muslim. So if the whiners want to protest and say it is a Muslim ban, oh well; get over it.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The travel ban, whatever its noble intentions, is being greeted around the Muslim world as a insult to Islam. Media outlets in Islamic nations are in a frenzy over it.
In that case, my question is - Why weren't media outlets in these Islamic nations in a continuous frenzy over radical Islamic terrorism that has been going on for years and decades all across the world?

Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sadly, civilians are killed in almost every military action regardless of who the president in office. It is the reality.

However, I do not get the connection you are trying to make between Trump's for a temporary ban from these specific countries and civilian casualties in war. If anything, those causalities of war is in part addressed by the refugee program that is currently stopped.
So your saying deadly air strikes like these that don't kill terrorist are ok? Just another fact of life eh?

https://www.rt.com/usa/317932-obama-...nduz-hospital/

The connection is simple. Obama's orders killed innocent civilians and Trumps order is saving lives. Yet everyone is outraged with Trumps order that inconveniences a small percentage of travelers for 90 days?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:06 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
So your saying deadly air strikes like these that don't kill terrorist are ok? Just another fact of life eh?

https://www.rt.com/usa/317932-obama-...nduz-hospital/

The connection is simple. Obama's orders killed innocent civilians and Trumps order is saving lives. Yet everyone is outraged with Trumps order that inconveniences a small percentage of travelers for 90 days?
Please..... spare me the insinuation that I nor Obama approve of bombing a hospital.

"US military airstrike mistakenly struck an MSF field hospital in Kunduz"

Time of war innocent people die... people should realize this before they go supporting war efforts. You are attempting to compare apples to oranges. There is no connection in logical reason. You can use the same argument for virtual any discussion and it will still be asinine. Its like saying that ACA should remain on books because Bush killed people with the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq... one intents on saving lives while the other takes it.... both have nothing to do with each other.

Last edited by usayit; 01-30-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The travel ban, whatever its noble intentions, is being greeted around the Muslim world as a insult to Islam. Media outlets in Islamic nations are in a frenzy over it. The end result is that it will do nothing but fuel anti-American sentiment around the world which will put as at even greater risk of terrorism. For those arguing "Obama did it" you miss the fine point that Obama did not have a sullied reputation as a bigot with the rest of the world as Trump does. So when Obama did it, people could accept that he was acting in the interest of national security and not for the purpose of discriminating against Muslims.
And the Obama drone/bomb attacks were seen as a positive in the Muslim world and slowed recruitment of radical Islamist terrorists?

Let's get something straight, NOTHING we do as a nation will slow/stop the Islamist Terrorists other than converting to Islam and submitting to Sharia law or killing them where they stand. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO PEACE, they have repeatedly said so.
Why is it so hard for some to believe what they themselves tell us?

Secondly, if the Muslim countries involved were so concerned about radical terrorists why do they not do much to shut it down? Why do they resist ANY help to eradicate the problem?
No, they just want to sit there and (like many liberals here) point fingers at the U.S. government being the problem.

So, given that, why should we as a nation blindly admit people from countries that are home to people who want to kill us?
Would you happily allow one of Charlie Manson's followers to move in to your home?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And the Obama drone/bomb attacks were seen as a positive in the Muslim world and slowed recruitment of radical Islamist terrorists?

Let's get something straight, NOTHING we do as a nation will slow/stop the Islamist Terrorists other than converting to Islam and submitting to Sharia law or killing them where they stand. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO PEACE, they have repeatedly said so.
Why is it so hard for some to believe what they themselves tell us?

Secondly, if the Muslim countries involved were so concerned about radical terrorists why do they not do much to shut it down? Why do they resist ANY help to eradicate the problem?
No, they just want to sit there and (like many liberals here) point fingers at the U.S. government being the problem.

So, given that, why should we as a nation blindly admit people from countries that are home to people who want to kill us?
Would you happily allow one of Charlie Manson's followers to move in to your home?
Who is blindly admitting people?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
By now, most people know that President Trump ordered a 90-day travel ban to the U.S. for citizens of Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Somalia. The reason for doing this was because of the strong ties to radical Islamic terrorism in these countries.

Do you support this travel ban or are you against it? Why or why not?
I support it but think it may be going a little too far. Of course all we are hearing is the left wing propaganda and all those who should be allowed in that are not. I so wish we could get both sides a little more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies