Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Your body; your choice. But I sure as hell wouldn't have a foreign object implanted into my body (uterus). A pacemaker? Sure, if I needed one to remain alive, but an IUD? Not a chance in hell.

Diaphragm effectiveness rate: 94%

Diaphragm and cervical cap effectiveness | Columbia.edu

And as to why doctors recommend IUDs? More income for them via the insertion procedure. $2,000 cost, remember?
In 10 years they have been my most reliable birth control. I have only had one pregnancy with one and it resulted in miscarriage. I can live with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It is all about shaming folks, LowonLuck.

It is not about doing something that is fiscally logical.

How dare those poor people want to have sex with their boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, or wives?

I mean, really. The poor should just hit the fields and do manual labor, then go home and cook their own meals on ovens that are from last century and sleep on mattresses that were purchased in 1950. Oh, and shop only at Goodwill, because poor folks cannot have anything but used things. They're too poor to have anything nice for themselves.

Poor person got an iPhone? Damn them. Must be one of those free Obama phones (no... that program did not hand out brand-new iPhones). Poor lady got nice nails? Must be MY tax dollars subsidizing her frivolity. Never mind the idea that she might have a JOB INTERVIEW that would help her get off food stamps.

Or maybe she got a gift certificate to the nail salon for her birthday from her grandma and her mom and dad bought her that iPhone refurbished and added her to their plan because it was cheaper than her having a home phone line.

People don't use the brains that they were born with, I reckon.
Can't rep you again, but you deserve it. Thank you

Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 AM

88,955 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Soo... you were 16, working part-time, living on your own, supporting a family, paying rent, electric, water, phone... buying and preparing your own groceries... buying furniture, maintaining a car and/or paying for public transportation... AND buying condoms...all that on minimum wage back in the... what? 1980s?

Wow... you are a hell of a budget expert. You should have your own talk show.
No family to support. That poster was responsible and bought and used his/her own birth control. No reason anyone else can't do so, as well.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they recommend IUDs because they last 5 years and women do not have to insert them before each time they have sex, nor do they have to wait for a given period of time to remove them after sex so as to avoid pregnancy. Or clean them and keep them dry and with them at all times in case they decide to have sex.

Or keep spermicidal jelly to use with the diaphragm in order to get to that 94% effectiveness rate you speak of.

Mirena IUDs also help control heavy periods in women who have issues with that, so docs will try to provide relief for that problem AND birth control, all at once. Which is a money saver, really.
Implanting a foreign object into one's body? No thanks. Too many health risks associated with that. Irrational to take such an extreme measure when one's life isn't at stake, and far less risky methods are readily available.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
No family to support. That poster was responsible and bought and used his/her own birth control. No reason anyone else can't do so, as well.
Why sure, if everyone had an infinite amount of money. If that was my case at 16, I would have bought birth control and paid to sleep in a hotel, instead of my car some nights.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Implanting a foreign object into one's body? No thanks. Too many health risks associated with that. Irrational to take such an extreme measure when one's life isn't at stake, and far less risky methods are readily available.
What health risks? I am using it as birth control until my uterus no longer functions. I am past the age of prolonging its usefulness. Seriously. I am 38 and to old to have more kids, even if I wanted to.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
But, come on... 20 hours a week at 3.35? This person had some sort of support from family at 16. LOL.

I could buy some really nice clothes and albums and all manner of whatever caught my eye at 16 when I was living at home and working part time. Duh.

That's a very silly comparison to adults who have to maintain households.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why sure, if everyone had an infinite amount of money.
A minimum wage job does not provide one an unlimited amount of money. However, there are still inexpensive forms of birth control one can buy for oneself even on minimum wage.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
What health risks? I am using it as birth control until my uterus no longer functions. I am past the age of prolonging its usefulness. Seriously. I am 38 and to old to have more kids, even if I wanted to.
Well, there is the risk of and IUD being embedded in the uterus, but really, there are risks with ALL forms of birth control except maybe the rhythm method and that one is the most likely to produce a pregnancy.

Even condoms have risks... STDs, latex allergies, etc.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Any foreign object implanted into one's body has associated health risks including but not limited to infection, perforation of various organs, the body's immune system rejecting the foreign object, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies