Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,990,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Liberals...it's time for you to fall all over yourselves to promote foreigners over Americans... now go.
I ran out of rep or I would have repped your great posts in this thread.

It's disgusting that there are Americans who promote foreigners over Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:38 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
No. You brought up learning programming.

Sure, someone can be self taught. However, many companies want to see a certificate stating that a person has taken a class and became certified.

Post some links showing how those whose skills have become rusty (while H1-Bs have jobs, which is so galling) can take classes to update their skills if they have no money. I'm sure that the many Americans who work in tech but can't find work, would love to know what resources are available to them. Be sure to post those links every time the subject comes up in other threads.
Sure, take classes at Coursera or Codeacademy. Buy a book and pass Microsoft or Oracle certification. Certifications are not free, but will run you less than $300, including the book. Hardly an enormous amount of money for someone who worked in tech.
I'm sure well qualified American techies who are out of work can google specifics that are related to their area of specialization and past experience. I would be surprised that a qualified American techie would be clueless as to how to "keep their skills sharp".

Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
It's called free markets for a reason.
I'm not going to let any government tell me who or what I can hire.

If you can't compete, it's probably best to go find a more appropriate line of work
So, if you get laid off and are forced to train your H1-B replacements if you want your severance pay, you would be happy about it? You think it's okay for companies to abuse and misuse the H1-B visa program?

Don't be smug and think that this will never happen to you. Many people thought it would never happen to them...until it did.

Yeah, the government can tell you who you can hire. You can't hire illegal aliens, for example. Well...you could but if you are caught, you pay the penalty. Properly run visa programs won't just allow you to demand a visa worker when there are qualified Americans around. One of this new administration's priorities is to rid the H1-B program of fraud and corruption.

Your hatred of American citizens is duly noted

Old 01-30-2017, 09:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't Americans who are qualified to do a job get hired first and foremost? Do you think other countries like India would put up with Americans going there and taking jobs from Indians? If you think that, then you live in a dream world.

Why should the US be an employment agency for the entire world? Why should visa workers be holding jobs while qualified Americans go without? Oh, wait! I know! You like the idea of having visa workers who are nothing but cheap, exploitable workers. If they don't like their jobs, they just can't quit unless they find some other company who will sponsor them. It's either that or stay put and take abuse, like expecting to work very long hours, etc.

No one said that incompetent Americans should never be fired. However, no company should get away with laying off experienced, competent Americans and replacing them with H1-Bs. Period.

You've clearly never sought work outside of the US. It's easy finding work in India, SE Asia, Middle East, etc if you have a degree from a top 200 american university, speak good english, and are professional. Most of those countries have very competitive job application processes -- multiple interviews and test -- although that is pretty common in CA. We tend to have lots of applicants and the vast majority can't pass our basic proficiency test, so obvious they will never be considered for hire.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Sure, take classes at Coursera or Codeacademy. Buy a book and pass Microsoft or Oracle certification. Certifications are not free, but will run you less than $300, including the book. Hardly an enormous amount of money for someone who worked in tech.
I'm sure well qualified American techies who are out of work can google specifics that are related to their area of specialization and past experience. I would be surprised that a qualified American techie would be clueless as to how to "keep their skills sharp".
Where are these cheap certification programs? My husband had to pay a heck of a lot more than $300. Those cheap programs may exist in low COL areas. Not here.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
You've clearly never sought work outside of the US. It's easy finding work in India, SE Asia, Middle East, etc if you have a degree from a top 200 american university, speak good english, and are professional. Most of those countries have very competitive job application processes -- multiple interviews and test -- although that is pretty common in CA. We tend to have lots of applicants and the vast majority can't pass our basic proficiency test, so obvious they will never be considered for hire.
And your point is, what exactly? No one is forcing you to hire anyone who can't pass basic proficiency tests. Guess what? There is so much fraud and corruption in the H1-B visa program, that H1-B hire could well be a total fraud. Amazing how companies will blindly hire H1-Bs when so many frauds get through the program.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fake-...a-ravi-bhushan

Google H1-B visa fraud. It is very eye-opening.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Where are these cheap certification programs? My husband had to pay a heck of a lot more than $300. Those cheap programs may exist in low COL areas. Not here.
They have been around for a while and many are available online. Someone in rural mongolia is probably using codingacademy right now to learn javascript.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Quote:
It's called free markets for a reason.
I'm not going to let any government tell me who or what I can hire.

If you can't compete, it's probably best to go find a more appropriate line of work
It's not that foreigners are better, it's that they are cheaper. Now lets remove you from your job because someone in a 3rd world nation can do it cheaper. Or are you so great that no one in India can do your job for 30% less. The stockholders want to know.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
And your point is, what exactly? No one is forcing you to hire anyone who can't pass basic proficiency tests. Guess what? There is so much fraud and corruption in the H1-B visa program, that H1-B hire could well be a total fraud. Amazing how companies will blindly hire H1-Bs when so many frauds get through the program.

You said it would be impossible for an Americans to find work in India.

My point is that no, it'd be pretty easy given that you have a good education and speak proper english

Old 01-30-2017, 09:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,071 times
They need those immigrants with drivers licenses to undercut American's wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies