Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,890,495 times

Advertisements

Heck, if the radical left gets even worse and continues this atrocious furor, they'd probably force us to convert to Islam. Or else, "racist!".

To be fair though, a woman wearing a hijab doesn't seem bad. It's just clothing. But the disquieting idea behind it is the concerning part (forced upon by a violent ideology). If, say, Buddhists or Taoists were wearing hijabs by choice I would actually condone it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM

410 posts, read 397,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Obviously I support a woman's right to wear a hijab, and in many cases I do hope it's a choice and she is not forced to do so. I want to make that clear. However I think it's clear what the origins are...

I have spoken to young Muslim women who also say they feel empowered by wearing it. That's good for them, although as an outsider I don't see it as empowering. One said it's empowering because it's a choice she makes. That's fair.
Did you really expect her to tell you that she is wearing a hijab because she is forced?

The meaning of "choice" is that she freely wears it some day and freely removes it some other day.
I am willing to wager that you would never see her fluctuating between the wearing and not wearing.
And that is no choice, she has psychologically conditioned herself to believe that she has a choice.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Honestly much of it is for attention. Assertion of identity in the face of the prevailing culture. A way to stick out.

Really, if the goal is modesty then hijab and burka makes you STICK OUT and call attention to yourself in the western world!
In our world yes, but not theirs. The weirdo in a lot of these heavily Muslim countries where they take Sharia law seriously would be a woman walking around in shorts and a tank top.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 PM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Honestly much of it is for attention. Assertion of identity in the face of the prevailing culture. A way to stick out.

Really, if the goal is modesty then hijab and burka makes you STICK OUT and call attention to yourself in the western world!
It depends upon where in the western world. In the NY/NJ metropolitan area, no one would give someone in a hijab a second glance. A burqa, probably. You see them occasionally, but not that often. But there are women in traditional dress from India. All these people could be at the mall a couple of miles away from me.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
*shrug* That looks like a scarf, which I've worn in that manner before. Hijab is beautiful though.

Oh and I'm a libertarian...
Hijab substantially predates Islam.

Anyone ever see a portrayal of the Virgin Mary, sans a hijab?

Like you, I don't care who wears a scarf, or not.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-31-2017 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
With the Muslim worship of the left I could see this happening .
Leftists women wearing hijabs to "stand in solitarily" maybe they are already doing it ?
Maybe the men will do it too , the same way they been wearing the pink little pussyhats.

Once it's on social media all the lemming leftists will start doing it .

http://shoebat.com/wp-content/upload...256736s-vi.jpg
I doubt it. American women love our hair! But if they do, what's it to you?

Old 01-31-2017, 10:55 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Yes. It will be hip and trendy and socially conscious until someone even leftier calls them out for cultural appropriation.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 AM

15,066 posts, read 6,142,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Smh...get some exposure.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:46 AM

15,066 posts, read 6,142,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
Did you really expect her to tell you that she is wearing a hijab because she is forced?

The meaning of "choice" is that she freely wears it some day and freely removes it some other day.
I am willing to wager that you would never see her fluctuating between the wearing and not wearing.
And that is no choice, she has psychologically conditioned herself to believe that she has a choice.
I have friends and family who fluctuate wearing hijab but do feel hijab is beautiful and empowering. Scores of Muslim women have a choice. It just depends on family, culture, etc.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 AM

14,888 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
With the Muslim worship of the left I could see this happening .
Leftists women wearing hijabs to "stand in solitarily" maybe they are already doing it ?
Maybe the men will do it too , the same way they been wearing the pink little pussyhats.

Once it's on social media all the lemming leftists will start doing it .

http://shoebat.com/wp-content/upload...256736s-vi.jpg
So you think they'd wear those silly little pussyhats over or under the hijabs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies