Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think most "regular" conservatives though, are pro-choice.

I lean socially liberal but fiscally conservative and I am pro-choice.
I'm a democrat who feels the same way. Every republican I know also feels this way. And I really don't like the extremists on either side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Why are the Republicans obsessed with denying women safe abortion?
If it becomes illegal, which seems to be what they want, women will resort to unsafe abortions and die or will have children they do not want.
What do these people think will happen to these unwanted children?
It seems they want To provide no help for single mothers, no help for birth control, no help for abortions, and no help for children. They just want them to be poor and die.
And they wonder why those not of their kind call them lacking in compassion?
Two words. Jerry. Falwell.

The abortion issue is just a smokescreen for the real agenda of the religious right. Jerry Falwell was able to convince evangelical Christians back in the 1980s that the number one issue in our society was ending abortion and that mindset remains to this day. He needed to do this because issues like racial segregation and imposing a Dominionist system of government were not as popular as the abortion issue and were less likely to unify evangelicals into one political bloc. By doing this, Falwell was able to ensure that evangelical Christians will always vote Republican as long as the GOP remains the pro-life party and the Democrats remain pro-choice.

One of the most ironic things is the Southern Baptist Convention praised Roe v Wade when it was handed down. The pro-life movement, in its early years, was a Catholic thing. Jerry Falwell changed that.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Religion, the bane of humanity.
It once served a useful purpose. When humans wer 10 hairs away from being apes, it gave them some pretty good rules to live by. But you are right, it has caused a lot of problems since then.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Post is a miss.

I'm a Republican. And pro choice.

That's why Democrats lose; they are so busy assigning beliefs to their various straw men that they have no way of understanding what is happening to them.
So why does the GOP have denying women abortions in their platform and why do they never voice their opposition to defunding programs that give women access to safe abortion? Are we supposed to read their innermost thoughts?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

I do have a follow-up question though:. Why do liberal women rant and rave about how the government has no place to tell them what to do with their bodies, but then they expect the government to pay for everything related to their bodies?
In what way do they rant and rave about wanting control of their bodies that is different from men and other kind of women ? Please explain how they want govt to pay for everything else related to the Body. Like when pregnant or sick?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Prochoice, Republican here too. My voting history is all over the place but rarely comes down to one issue. I haven't run into the wall yet, fortunately.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
If it becomes illegal, which seems to be what they want, women will resort to unsafe abortions and die or will have children they do not want.
Having an unsafe abortion is a choice. Have you never heard of adoption or adoption agencies?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Having an unsafe abortion is a choice. Have you never heard of adoption or adoption agencies?
Do you know how many children are placed in foster homes where they are abused and even die

Old 01-31-2017, 09:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Religion, the bane of humanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It once served a useful purpose. When humans wer 10 hairs away from being apes, it gave them some pretty good rules to live by. But you are right, it has caused a lot of problems since then.
religion isnt the problem, the abuse of religion is.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:11 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Why are the Republicans obsessed with denying women safe abortion?
What do these people think will happen to these unwanted children?
It seems they want To provide no help for single mothers, no help for birth control, no help for abortions, and no help for children. They just want them to be poor and die.
And they wonder why those not of their kind call them lacking in compassion?
Personal religious values aside for the moment as a factor, I suspect that a cross-section of the Republican Party would likely reveal a somewhat better level of education and foresight. Whether the radical egalitarians will admit it or not, unplanned pregnancy is more common in blue-collar and underclass America. I saw a little of this at a hotel I used to help manage; a junior housekeeper impregnated by a handyman, both of whom had subpar IQ's and little command of English.

But like it or not, many of us have long been conditioned to view abortion simply as a cheap shot -- the easy way out at the expense of a someone who doesn't have a say.

(And I want to add at this point that my judgment is a bit clouded by the presence of a developmentally-disabled adult nephew; I'll never know if I could have summoned up the courage of his parents, but I refuse to play God -- and it's one of the reasons I chose to turn away from a truly beautiful woman).

And also, that it takes two fools to cause an unplanned pregnancy; and we don't make enough of an effort to identify and penalize the MEN responsible, or the chiselers in small, mostly rural communities who look the other way because unplanned pregnancy is a factor in supplying cheap labor and getting the most-distasteful jobs done.

It's probably the single most shameful feature on the ragged underside of our society, but it's not easy, or fair, for anyone to say they, or a militant fringe, alone know what's best for all of us.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-31-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies