Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 PM

736 posts, read 353,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The problem there by the looks of things is those currently in leadership rolls don't want to give them up, even if it drags down the party.
If the Democrat party can't turn things around in 2018 and suffer great losses, then there is a good chance the leadership will be force out or the Democratic party will go the way of the Whig party. Effectively bringing an end to the far left progressive and liberal policies.

Last edited by NekoLogic; 02-01-2017 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Looks like Chucky got a taste of it as well.

Thousands of protesters gather outside Chuck Schumer’s apartment | New York Post

Old 02-01-2017, 04:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Dara Barr, a 40-year-old acupuncturist from the East Village, told The Post she felt it was time for Schumer to crack the whip on the Democratic caucus

She is wrong. It's time for him to step aside.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Do ANY senators answer their phones directly from constituents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As you point out, Ryan. Gabbard would be another good choice. Seems the (D)'s have decided to hold the losing hand.
Does it make me a troll or violate any forum rules to keep pointing out that Tim Ryan and Tulsi Gabbard pretty much have the exact same views as Nancy Pelosi ?

This is an optics argument, and that is sad.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Does it make me a troll or violate any forum rules to keep pointing out that Tim Ryan and Tulsi Gabbard pretty much have the exact same views as Nancy Pelosi ?

This is an optics argument, and that is sad.
“I’ll tell you what I heard from the Syrian people that I met with, Jake, walking down the street in Aleppo, in Damascus, hearing from them.

They expressed happiness and joy at seeing an American walking through their streets. But they also asked why the U.S. and its allies are providing support and arms to terrorist groups like al-Nusra, al-Qaida or al-Sham, ISIS who are on the ground there, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing the Syrian people.

They asked me, why is the United States and its allies supporting these terrorist groups who are destroying Syria when it was al-Qaeda who attacked the United States on 9/11, not Syria. I didn’t have an answer for them,” Gabbard said, noting the clear dismay the average Syrian has for the U.S. support of al-Qaeda – a proposition which every American should equally question.

Read more at Hero Congresswoman Exposes Truth on CNN After Secret Visit to Syria, 'There Are No Moderate Rebels'

Pelosi would NEVER say that. NEVER.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What are you talking about? Most New Deal democrats want to bring the party to the left economically and more to the center on social issues. Tim Ryan? Head of DNC? Where did you get that idea? I have never heard that he ran for head of the DNC.
Oops, I meant to write Tim Ryan replacing Pelosi as House Minority Leader.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
I have watched what he has done. Ryan won big time in a state Hillary lost badly that she was supposed to win. Ryan can deliver Ohio, Michigan, Pa.

(D)'s have done nothing but lose ground under Pelosi. That is not going to stop. Maybe the crushing they are going to take in 2018 will finally wake them up.
Nancy Pelosi is not responsible for electing Democrats in congress, she is responsible for governing as minority leader.

the person responsible for electing Democrats to the House is Ben Ray Luján, and from 2011 to 2014, it was Steve Israel, and before that, Rahm Emmanuel.

And for the sake of saving time, we already had this discussion.

Quote:
No it doesnt, your argument is that you dont like Pelosi, but Ryan and Pelosi are ideologically the same. You wouldnt get new policies under him, you would just get a different speech

and No, it wasnt George W. Bush that got Democrats elected.

2006 is when Dems took the majority in the House.

Key

Blue, Democrats hold this seat in 2017
Red, Republicans hold this seat in 2017
Yellow, Dem lost seat in 2008 land slide victory for Democrats
Purple, redistricted/Other

Arizona 6th

Arizona 8th

there are now 9 Congressional districts in Arizona, there were 8 in 2006, Democrats after 2006 held 5 of them, they now hold 4.

California 11th
Colorado 7th

Connecticut 2nd
Connecticut 5th

Florida 16th
Florida 22nd

Indiana 2nd
Indiana 8th
Indiana 9th

Iowa 1st
Iowa 2nd

Kansas 2nd

Kentucky 3rd

Minnesota 1st

New Hampshire 1st
New Hampshire 2nd

New York 19th
New York 20th
New York 24th

these seats have no resemblance to what they were in 2006, the 20th is Kirsten Gillibrand's seat. A Democrat now holds that seat Number. The other 2 are now firmly held by Republicans.

North Carolina 11thThis was Health Shulers seat, it used to include most of Ashville, which is fairly Democratic, Survived 2010, Now it only includes the suburbs. Cook PVI took this district from +3 Dem to +10 Republican in 2012 after redistricting, Now +13 Republican.

Ohio 18th.

Pennsylvania 4th re elected in 2010, District "cracked" after Pennsylvania lost seats in reapportionment.

Pennsylvania 7th

Pennsylvania 8th

Pennsylvania 10th

Texas 22nd
Texas 23rd

Wisconsin 8th

* the 31st seat is Bernie Sanders being an independent and being elected to the Senate and a Democrat taking over his seat.

I dont think you can accurately argue that George Bush was the reason Dems gained the majority as Dems still hold 12 of those seats won that year out right. 4 Democrats losing in 2008 in a landmark year for Democrats and a couple more being redistricted out of their territory even after winning in 2010

202(districts Democrats held at height of Bush popularity)+12(districts Democrats won in 2006 and still hold today) = 214(addition of previous 2)+ 4(Democrats who survived 2010 but were redistricted in 2012).

Thats 218, a majority. Peter Welch not even included.
The years listed coincide with Pelosi as speaker.

The seats we lost in the time of her Speakership and here after were mostly conservative, and there is no way we are winning them back with a progressive as the leader of the DNC or Legislative branch of the party.

Cook says that Democrats actually holds the majority of the swing districts, our problem is Dems being packed in districts in the South.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi is not responsible for electing Democrats in congress, she is responsible for governing as minority leader.

the person responsible for electing Democrats to the House is Ben Ray Luján, and from 2011 to 2014, it was Steve Israel, and before that, Rahm Emmanuel.

And for the sake of saving time, we already had this discussion.
And we have seen the results and excuses. 2018 is going to be ugly.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:50 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Quote:
“I’ll tell you what I heard from the Syrian people that I met with, Jake, walking down the street in Aleppo, in Damascus, hearing from them.

They expressed happiness and joy at seeing an American walking through their streets. But they also asked why the U.S. and its allies are providing support and arms to terrorist groups like al-Nusra, al-Qaida or al-Sham, ISIS who are on the ground there, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing the Syrian people.

They asked me, why is the United States and its allies supporting these terrorist groups who are destroying Syria when it was al-Qaeda who attacked the United States on 9/11, not Syria. I didn’t have an answer for them,” Gabbard said, noting the clear dismay the average Syrian has for the U.S. support of al-Qaeda – a proposition which every American should equally question.

Read more at Hero Congresswoman Exposes Truth on CNN After Secret Visit to Syria, 'There Are No Moderate Rebels'

Pelosi would NEVER say that. NEVER.
Exactly. Tulsi seems to understand that there are no "good" guys in most Middle Eastern conflicts.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Quote:
Exactly how is Ryan corrupt? From what I've seen Ryan has done a good job of representing his constituents. He represents a very working class part of the state. He won in a state as a (D) that Trump won bigly.
Tim Ryan is the kind of Democrat that would help them win back the Midwest.

Unfortunately for Democrats, they seem content to stick with the "nothin' but the Coasts" strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies