Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:46 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which we don't get, except illegally. The only exception are the ag visas, but most go home
Not understanding your post.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
At the present moment, and for some time, I have been in favor of a lengthy ban on all immigration. Truthfully, I only prefer European immigration if there is to be immigration, but at the current time I don't even want any immigration. The notion that we are a country of immigrants is antiquated!
Our economy will fail without immigration. The US birthrate is declining so we don't have enough young people to support the growing segment of the population that is over 65. The ideal ratio is somewhere between 3 and 5 people under 65 to every person over 65. This is why Italy, Greece, and Spain are having huge economic problems is they do not have enough young working age people to support the old people.

This is economic fact and has nothing to do with politics or race or religion. It is a well known, accepted fact within economics.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Our economy will fail without immigration. The US birthrate is declining so we don't have enough young people to support the growing segment of the population that is over 65. The ideal ratio is somewhere between 3 and 5 people under 65 to every person over 65. This is why Italy, Greece, and Spain are having huge economic problems is they do not have enough young working age people to support the old people.

This is economic fact and has nothing to do with politics or race or religion. It is a well known, accepted fact within economics.

I do get this. We are going thru this here at work. I heard something like 60% of our current work force will be retiring in the next 5 years.

Now that being said, I still don't think we've fully recovered from the millions of jobs lost in the past 20-30 years. Jobs that could really support a family, pay into a 401k, created a good tax base....not fast food wage jobs. I don't know about you, but in my area it seems like I'm seeing older and older people working at jobs high school or college age kids used to.
We need to slow the flow of people coming in, and jobs going out.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:33 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
We need to slow the flow of people coming in, and jobs going out.
Jobs are not going out. They are changing. But they always have, so this is nothing new really. Technology comes and goes. Recapturing old industries is not going to make America competitive, we need to figure out how to get more of America involved in new industries like bio-tech, computers, and robotics, all of which are high paying.

Japan has almost zero immigration. Their economy has been awful for almost 30 years.

If we cut immigration and raise import tariffs we will get a short term boost but we will lose our huge edge we have in the global economy which will be filled quickly by China. We will soon become a second rate economy, largely stagnant, like Japan. That is not making America great in my book.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:39 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Jobs are not going out. They are changing. But they always have, so this is nothing new really. Technology comes and goes. Recapturing old industries is not going to make America competitive, we need to figure out how to get more of America involved in new industries like bio-tech, computers, and robotics, all of which are high paying.

Japan has almost zero immigration. Their economy has been awful for almost 30 years.

If we cut immigration and raise import tariffs we will get a short term boost but we will lose our huge edge we have in the global economy which will be filled quickly by China. We will soon become a second rate economy, largely stagnant, like Japan. That is not making America great in my book.
I respectfully disagree with you.

The total land area of Japan is about 3% the size of that of the USA, yet Japan has a population of about 128 million; more than a third of the population of the USA.

I think the reason Japan doesn't need immigration to succeed is because of their massive population - 10th largest in the world.

So you are comparing apples to oranges here.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
At the present moment, and for some time, I have been in favor of a lengthy ban on all immigration. Truthfully, I only prefer European immigration if there is to be immigration, but at the current time I don't even want any immigration. The notion that we are a country of immigrants is antiquated!
That's pretty short-sighted. You need immigration to offset your Birth-Death Rate.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:42 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Property managed immigration is a huge asset to the country. It can be used to keep the population from getting too old and can bring in talent we want. We just can't let in every one who wants to, just because they want to get away from the overcrowded, destitute, third world hellhole they want to escape.

Quote:

Old 02-01-2017, 05:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
To be fair: cut all ALL illegal immigration.

Legal immigration: my 1st choice of legal aliens would be from most of Europe, Japan, Korea, South Africa, Australia, Canada, Botswana and a few other countries; regardless of "race".

Old 02-02-2017, 08:29 AM

379 posts, read 255,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To be fair: cut all ALL illegal immigration.

Legal immigration: my 1st choice of legal aliens would be from most of Europe, Japan, Korea, South Africa, Australia, Canada, Botswana and a few other countries; regardless of "race".
Why would you be so discriminative? Isn't that mean?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:

Those countries are not even employing the young people they have, so what makes you think more will solve the problem?

Exactly how many people does the US need? One billion? 10 billion? At what point is it too many people?

In the US, we have plenty of young people who are unemployed or under employed, so what would add more do for anyone? Have you seen the actual immigration stats? About how many actually are on some form of social assistance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies