Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If I could go back in time and witness a conversation, it would be the one between Frederick Douglass and John Brown in the quarry at night when Douglass tried to talk Brown out of Harper's Ferry.

Shields Green, an escaped slave who had come with Douglass--a FREE man, chose that night to go with John Brown. And died for that choice when he could have gone back north to freedom. Unimaginable courage.

It's American history, folks.
John Brown stayed in Canada for a short time period in the town that my ancestors lived in prior to instigating the raid. He lived with a man who was a black poet and anti-slavery activist while in Ontario and his family. The black poet later moved to the city I'm from and gave some newspaper interviews about John Brown and how he, Douglass, and other black anti-slavery activist tried to talk him out of the raid. His son - John Brown Jr was even said to have tried to talk him out of it but knew it was fruitless - that his dad felt that him being a martyr for the end of slavery in this country would be more important at getting that to occur versus being a typical abolitionists. John Brown Jr is buried here in Ohio at Put-in-Bay. I went to take a picture with his grave this past summer (I have what many consider odd hobbies lol as I like to go to cemeteries when I'm vacationing and take pictures of graves).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Frederick Douglass would be considered an Uncle Tom in today's "culture". LOL. Suspected of plagiarism and child molesting, he was still a "black" icon. Due, no doubt, to "black privilege". But carry on with worshiping him.
Something is wrong with you. If Frederick Douglass was alive you would hate him and he'd be considered what he was in the past - a radical, dangerous, liberal hell bent on "equal rights." He is still revered by "black culture" and would be in any time period. Only thing that I remember one of my older relatives saying they didn't like about him was that he married a white woman when his first (black) wife died lol. And she told me that she could forgive him for that lol.

And when has he ever been accused of child molesting or plagiarism....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 07:50 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
.....and what he did.

I guess he gave some sort of Black History month speech today and....it was something else. As usual.

"Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I noticed."

"Last month, we celebrated the life of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. It turned out that that was fake news. Fake news. The statue is cherished, it’s one of the favorite things in the—and we have some good ones. We have Lincoln, and we have Jefferson, and we have Dr. Martin Luther King. But they said the statue, the bust of Martin Luther King, was taken out of the office. And it was never even touched. So I think it was a disgrace, but that’s the way the press is. Very unfortunate....."

"And Paris has done an amazing job in a very hostile CNN community. He’s all by himself. You’ll have seven people, and Paris. And I’ll take Paris over the seven. But I don’t watch CNN, so I don’t get to see you as much as I used to. I don’t like watching fake news. But Fox has treated me very nice. Wherever Fox is, thank you.

There were also shout outs to Ben Carson and Omarosa in they "Hey, I'm not racist, I have black friends" category.

Sigh. He should have just skipped speaking
https://www.google.com/amp/theconcou...?client=safari
He's STILL making everything about HIMSELF? This is getting really super bizarre.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
John Brown stayed in Canada for a short time period in the town that my ancestors lived in prior to instigating the raid. He lived with a man who was a black poet and anti-slavery activist while in Ontario and his family. The black poet later moved to the city I'm from and gave some newspaper interviews about John Brown and how he, Douglass, and other black anti-slavery activist tried to talk him out of the raid. His son - John Brown Jr was even said to have tried to talk him out of it but knew it was fruitless - that his dad felt that him being a martyr for the end of slavery in this country would be more important at getting that to occur versus being a typical abolitionists. John Brown Jr is buried here in Ohio at Put-in-Bay. I went to take a picture with his grave this past summer (I have what many consider odd hobbies lol as I like to go to cemeteries when I'm vacationing and take pictures of graves).
Odd? ODD? I am beginning to suspect we are related! I know you've done a lot with your genealogy--did you have any Dutch relatives from New Jersey?

From the time we were children, when on vacation my mother and my sister and I would want to go check out the local cemeteries. Now in our 50s, my sister has photographed thousands of gravesites for Find-A-Grave. I work near Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn and intend to take my sister and do a day trip there when the weather is nicer. I live in a part of New Jersey where every so often I pass small cemeteries here and there alongside the roads, and I stop when I can, and of course, when I go somewhere I do the same.

Thank you for sharing that info about the poet and Brown's time in Ontario.

Quote:
Something is wrong with you. If Frederick Douglass was alive you would hate him and he'd be considered what he was in the past - a radical, dangerous, liberal hell bent on "equal rights." He is still revered by "black culture" and would be in any time period. Only thing that I remember one of my older relatives saying they didn't like about him was that he married a white woman when his first (black) wife died lol. And she told me that she could forgive him for that lol.

And when has he ever been accused of child molesting or plagiarism....

Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Odd? ODD? I am beginning to suspect we are related! I know you've done a lot with your genealogy--did you have any Dutch relatives from New Jersey?

From the time we were children, when on vacation my mother and my sister and I would want to go check out the local cemeteries. Now in our 50s, my sister has photographed thousands of gravesites for Find-A-Grave. I work near Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn and intend to take my sister and do a day trip there when the weather is nicer. I live in a part of New Jersey where every so often I pass small cemeteries here and there alongside the roads, and I stop when I can, and of course, when I go somewhere I do the same.

Thank you for sharing that info about the poet and Brown's time in Ontario.

LOL, I haven't found any NJ relatives yet, but lots of Pennsylvania roots, which isn't far. Maybe we're 8th cousins who got that recessive cemetery picture taking gene

Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
I don't see what the big deal is.

“Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and millions more black Americans who made America what it is today. Big impact.”

In no way does this indicate that he thinks Frederick Douglass is still alive. "Has done" (that's what the apostrophe in "who's done" stands for, ya know) is past tense, and the only present tense in there is talking about the recognition that FD's contributions are lately receiving.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Who knows if Trump knows the man has been dead for well over a century. It was representative of the same shallow way he speaks all the time.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:34 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Who knows if Trump knows the man has been dead for well over a century. It was representative of the same shallow way he speaks all the time.
I have to believe that he can't be so stupid that he thinks Frederick Douglass is a living person, but it did sound as if he really didn't have much of an idea about him. Just now receiving more recognition? Really, Donald? A five minute read could have gone a long way toward sounding smarter.

It is believable that he didn't know too much about Douglass because I know damn well that there are plenty of people out there who don't know who Frederick Douglass was.

Now, when I was growing up--and I'm younger than Trump--kids in white suburban schools did not get much of a black history education. I knew more than your average kid because I was a voracious reader, and there was a whole shelf of biographies about black Americans in the kid's section of the library, and I read them all. But, we did learn some in school, and if there were two historical black people that white kids learned about in the 1960s, they were Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass. Just like the confusion you see here all the time over loose and lose, advise and advice, some kids were just plain goofing off in third grade throughout spelling AND history.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:53 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
In no way does this indicate that he thinks Frederick Douglass is still alive. "Has done" (that's what the apostrophe in "who's done" stands for, ya know) is past tense, and the only present tense in there is talking about the recognition that FD's contributions are lately receiving.
"Has done" is the present perfect.

This is why I mentioned in another thread that theres going to be linguistic debates about this quote. There will be journal articles and doctorate dissertations on Trumps usage of the present perfect.

Last edited by Tritone; 02-02-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I don't see what the big deal is.

“Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and millions more black Americans who made America what it is today. Big impact.”

Frederick Douglass has already been recognized....

At least by people who know anything about our country's history as it pertains to the anti-slavery movement and Civil War.

Also someone who is our president should be aware of the fact that Frederick Douglass was the first black person to be appointed a position by the federal government (general consul to Haiti).

Old 02-02-2017, 12:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Also someone who is our president should be aware of the fact that Frederick Douglass was the first black person to be appointed a position by the federal government (general consul to Haiti).
No, they should not. We don't need a Jeopardy champion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies