Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:50 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times

Advertisements

Good. I'm glad they said they wouldn't vote for her. I'm pulling hard for one more R to do the same, then there's no way she can be nominated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 01:51 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Good, I wish they had 1 more vote so she could be defeated. She is an imbecile and knows literally nothing about education or teaching. Her sole 'qualification' is being a rich billionaire like Trump. She wants to dismantle our public school system so that her and her fellow billionaires can make some more money off for-profit charter schools.

I am all for allowing parents to send their kids to charter schools or even religious schools ... it's their choice but the reality is that a well funded public school system will always be better than any private school. Here on Long Island we have the best public schools in the nation. Why? Because we actually fund them. Perhaps places elsewhere should consider raising taxes to adequately fund their public schools instead of bashing them.
Exactly. Here in Westchester County we have top notch public schools. We pay for education through very high school taxes. I see NYC property taxes and they are so low. I wonder how they are paying for public schools... no wonder why most of their public schools are failing.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:51 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Does that make it 50 / 50 split? If so the VP will vote to appoint her.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:55 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
She will make an excellent Secretary of Education. Pence's vote will break the 50-50 tie, so she'll probably go in.

My own view is that the Department of Education should give no educational guidance; they should allocate funds and so forth. So requiring the Secretary to have experience in the educational system is pointless.

Her plan will make good schools available to students who live in poor neighborhoods. That's a good idea, and one that is not now implemented. Today, we take bad schools and try to make them good schools by spending money.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Exactly. Here in Westchester County we have top notch public schools. We pay for education through very high school taxes. I see NYC property taxes and they are so low. I wonder how they are paying for public schools... no wonder why most of their public schools are failing.
My point exactly

The suburban counties around NYC pay sky high taxes, but it's also one of the best places to live and raise a family.

Here's another thing that worries me, does anyone really think all these private schools are going to happily take in students with learning disabilities, or who have physical disabilities and require extra care (ie: an in-class aide)? I THINK NOT.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Does that make it 50 / 50 split? If so the VP will vote to appoint her.
It does, but see this.

Question - Can Jeff Sessions Vote On Other Nominees as US Senator once Confirmed?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:01 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think it's based on the number of senators actually in the chamber at the time of the vote.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM

16,552 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Trump was thinking just like DeVos. She wants to dismantle public schools and replace them with church sponsored charter schools that tax payer money will go to in the form of vouchers. Legal challenges are already being prepared against doing this and in the meantime she'll destroy public schools and those who went to charter schools will get their vouchers pulled and parents will be paying the complete costs of private schools.

Wow, so much wrong with this post.
Irrespective of DeVos, charter and parochial schools outperform all but the best of public education in the most affluent areas.
As to "tax payer money", many public schools have incompetent and ideologically driven administrations that are allowing kids to graduate with an inferior education. This is especially true of the inner cities.
Rest assured many a parent is paying BOTH their public school taxes as well as the cost of a private/parochial education for their kids. That is a huge financial burden for some families, yet they are willing to bear the burden for the betterment of their future generation.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
The real point here is that she knows absolutely nothing about education as was evidenced by her confirmation hearing.

I get that he's gotta try to give this to someone who paid a lot of money to get it, but surely there's someone else out there with some actual knowledge of the education system AND pedagogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies