Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
She will make an excellent Secretary of Education. Pence's vote will break the 50-50 tie, so she'll probably go in.

My own view is that the Department of Education should give no educational guidance; they should allocate funds and so forth. So requiring the Secretary to have experience in the educational system is pointless.

Her plan will make good schools available to students who live in poor neighborhoods. That's a good idea, and one that is not now implemented. Today, we take bad schools and try to make them good schools by spending money.
But... seriously, she knows nothing about education. Nothing about teaching. Nothing about pedagogy.

I taught years ago before I went back to school and changed careers. I'm more qualified for this job than her and I don't even want it.

Surely, there's another Trump supporter out there that he could select that has some inkling of what they'd be doing.

You cannot allocate funds without having SOME clue what you're allocating them FOR.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
When two words are combined, it's like a chemical reaction in some liberal minds.

I'll carefully space them out to avoid heads exploding.

School

Wait
Wait
Wait for it

CHOICE

The "choice" is the catalyst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:57 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Good. I dislike her. She is not qualified. I have no idea what Trump was thinking when he picked her. Bad move.
Exactly!

Old 02-01-2017, 02:59 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
might want to actually read up on her. she doesnt want to eliminate public schools, but rather open up the education system to competition instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_DeVos
Have you lived in a place where the schools were opened up to competition with a plan like hers? I have, and all evidence shows that even after 20 years of vouchers and charters, the district is no better than it was before. A few people have, however, gotten rich off of some fly-by-night charter schools, so I guess there is that. I'm all for school reform in areas where public education isn't working, but let's not try an approach that has been tried and failed. And let's leave the places where public education IS working alone.

Last edited by AminWi; 02-01-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 03:01 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But... seriously, she knows nothing about education. Nothing about teaching. Nothing about pedagogy.

I taught years ago before I went back to school and changed careers. I'm more qualified for this job than her and I don't even want it.

Surely, there's another Trump supporter out there that he could select that has some inkling of what they'd be doing.

You cannot allocate funds without having SOME clue what you're allocating them FOR.
She has her own self-serving reptilian agenda....

Betsy Devos

Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Have you lived in a place where the schools were opened up to competition with a plan like here? I have, and all evidence shows that even after 20 years of vouchers and charters, the district is no better than it was before. A few people have, however, gotten rich off of some fly-by-night charter schools, so I guess there is that. I'm all for school reform in areas where public education isn't working, but let's not try an approach that has been tried and failed. And let's leave the places where public education IS working alone.
Do you believe that all public schools are the exact same and no one is better than another?

Old 02-01-2017, 03:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When two words are combined, it's like a chemical reaction in some liberal minds.

I'll carefully space them out to avoid heads exploding.

School

Wait
Wait
Wait for it

CHOICE

The "choice" is the catalyst.
NOBODY is saying parents should not have a choice where they send their kids to school. What people are saying is that we should not have a complete moron heading the Department of Education who thinks schools should "carry out God's work", and who has zero clue about students with disabilities.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:05 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
She will make an excellent Secretary of Education. Pence's vote will break the 50-50 tie, so she'll probably go in.

My own view is that the Department of Education should give no educational guidance; they should allocate funds and so forth. So requiring the Secretary to have experience in the educational system is pointless.

Her plan will make good schools available to students who live in poor neighborhoods. That's a good idea, and one that is not now implemented. Today, we take bad schools and try to make them good schools by spending money.
Did you listen to her?

Old 02-01-2017, 03:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you believe that all public schools are the exact same and no one is better than another?
If you fund public schools like in the NYC suburbs ... they work. If you fund them like they do in Sam Brownback's Tea Party Kansas ... then they don't work. It's real simple.

This is about making billionaires even richer. Parents here in NY already have all the choices they need: public schools, homeschool, private school, religious schools ... and our public schools beat them all hands down any day of the week.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
NOBODY is saying parents should not have a choice where they send their kids to school. What people are saying is that we should not have a complete moron heading the Department of Education who thinks schools should "carry out God's work", and who has zero clue about students with disabilities.
I know very little about her and feel the Dept Of Ed should be eliminated; however, the fact that she is pro-voucher is just about enough for me to like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies