Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:49 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You're free to imagine anything you like, it's not 'Obama's 'deal'. But if you think another foolish war of choice is a better alternative, feel free to pack your bags and sign up.

Deadly serious, they were the ones intent on spending American blood to fight for Iraqi democracy.

My service was done a long time ago. What about yours? What have you done for your country?

I already acknowledged I was not in favor of going into Iraq. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that was done for Iraqi democracy. Afghanistan was in retaliation for 9/11. Iraq was GWB's way of finishing off Saddam for going into Kuwait, something his father wasn't allowed to do.

That said, no doubt Saddam was a butcher and deserved what he got, but he brought it on himself by not allowing the inspectors in. I just never felt like the game plan was executed very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 07:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
My service was done a long time ago. What about yours? What have you done for your country?

I already acknowledged I was not in favor of going into Iraq. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe that was done for Iraqi democracy. Afghanistan was in retaliation for 9/11. Iraq was GWB's way of finishing off Saddam for going into Kuwait, something his father wasn't allowed to do.

That said, no doubt Saddam was a butcher and deserved what he got, but he brought it on himself by not allowing the inspectors in. I just never felt like the game plan was executed very well.

Well then it was just one of the lies we were told to justify it. What lies will we be told for this latest round of trash talking?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post

That was 16 years ago almost. What is the excuse for 16 years? Kuwait was 25 years ago. Why are we still in Iraq? Saddam has been dead for over a decade.

Quote:
The inspectors were in.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Finally, someone asks the question. We would do wonders in defending our shores. We could kick ass there. Defending ones land is an entire different thing than invading another country.
I think Iran knows they have a geographical advantage against any western nation who wants to invade them on their soil. Sooner or later if there is going to be boots on the ground you have to cross some unkind territory.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:20 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wow, is this what his supporters signed up for? Another war in the middle east. How lovely.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lynn-on-notice
Iran is the one that wants war. They thought that ship they attacked was a US ship. That IS an act of war.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:20 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It's not war. Iran can't fight back.

It's simple punishment. Until they submit.

Our mistake in Iraq was trying to occupy it, because we had bad intel about alleged WMDs and wanted to find them.

We know Iran is trying to build nukes and missiles that can deliver them.

Iran needs to be spanked. Triple up on sanctions, bomb, bomb, bomb, destroy their capacity to produce and export oil, assassinate their leaders.

Not a single American needs to set foot in Iran.
You said to bomb them and take out their leadership, exactly where has that worked out well. Iraq was also supposed to be a surgical strike with superior fire power, shock and awe just go ask Rumsfeld. The idea is to convince more moderate Iranians what we are about, not help reinforce the Ayatollah and the Iranian Guard. Funny you always single out Iran but never hear a work on North Korea.

Besides where exactly is this air strike coming from that you are proposing, Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia? You sure have some great plans for our military.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
How about we just give up this asinine notion that we're the world police?
Agreed

Quote:
WHERE is it written Iran can't test a missile yet N Korea can have nukes?
It is written nowhere. Iran never agreed to stop testing missiles

Quote:
Should we compare how many countries the US has invaded in recent history to the number Iran has invaded?
Irans number is zero. The number for America is outrageous.

Quote:
If these alleged tough guys in the administration start some BS conflict for no good reason I can only hope the impeachmenyt papers are in the Oval Office within 48 hours.
No chance. We the people have voted in too many war mongers and cowards for that to happen for now.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:32 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You said to bomb them and take out their leadership, exactly where has that worked out well. Iraq was also supposed to be a surgical strike with superior fire power, shock and awe just go ask Rumsfeld. The idea is to convince more moderate Iranians what we are about, not help reinforce the Ayatollah and the Iranian Guard. Funny you always single out Iran but never hear a work on North Korea.

Besides where exactly is this air strike coming from that you are proposing, Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia? You sure have some great plans for our military.
More than likely the Saudis. They have been hitting Yemen for awhile. Granted team 'Murica sold them the weapons.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:35 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wow, is this what his supporters signed up for? Another war in the middle east. How lovely.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lynn-on-notice
it is not a war we can win. It will not happen , Trump would be deposed by Ryan and Pence, and Bannon would be black sited .

Old 02-02-2017, 01:36 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If a war starts, it won't be Iran that starts it.
The nation has never started a war in its history as a modern nation.
Every war Iran has ever fought has been defensive.

...and I seriously doubt rumblings from an adolescent delinquent will worry them enough to break that tradition by himself.

What I do worry about are the Russians. They want to be the big dog in the Middle East, and Putin is mighty quick on the trigger. He's also a lot smarter and cannier than Donald Trump, who has always been a patsy for a strong man who knows how to flatter Trump, who will do anything for a strong man's approval.

If I was Vladimir, I would sure rather see Americans bleed out lives and money that see Russians bleed lives and money. It will take a lot of both to put Iran out of the game.
any move on iran will be at the behest of the israelis , would not be the first time the u.s started a war for israel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies