Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

I've determined that I'm a liberal redneck/hippy conservative. Here's what makes me a liberal and a redneck:
  • Abortion should be legal and available in all states
  • Healthcare should be a single payer system
  • Touch my guns and we are going to have problems
  • Cut-off limits for non-disabled/non-veteran individuals on welfare. 1yr maybe? Teach a man to fish... You know... Also, no additional welfare after child #2
  • Age 18 for drinking age
  • Legalize marijuana
  • Prohibit criminal background checks from being used in hiring/housing decisions.

Are there any other liberal rednecks here? Any hippy conservatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Most of us are a hodgepodge of ideologies.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Maybe we were separated at birth.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:09 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
I'm sure there are plenty.

The stereotypes of the past are becoming less useful.

I'm pro-labor and anti-globalization, so what does that make me? Liberal or conservative? Something else?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'm sure there are plenty.

The stereotypes of the past are becoming less useful.

I'm pro-labor and anti-globalization, so what does that make me? Liberal or conservative? Something else?
Who knows anymore?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
only veterans have earned the right to vote and enjoy other citizen benefits...the rest of you will need to put in at least 2 years fighting bugs in the outer colonies

Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
misunderstood the statement ...proud redneck here ...

Last edited by 1973PINTO; 02-02-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-02-2017, 08:25 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've determined that I'm a liberal redneck/hippy conservative. Here's what makes me a liberal and a redneck:
  • Cut-off limits for non-disabled/non-veteran individuals on welfare. 1yr maybe? Teach a man to fish... You know... Also, no additional welfare after child #2
  • Legalize marijuana
  • Prohibit criminal background checks from being used in hiring/housing decisions.

70% of the people I hung around with (when I was in my teens and 20s) were similar. There was a whole music genre that many of us enjoyed that identified with this.

Not sure when it was when the beta males & angry women took over the Dems.... and the constipated "stick your nose in my private life" bible thumpers took over the Repubs.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
70% of the people I hung around with (when I was in my teens and 20s) were similar. There was a whole music genre that many of us enjoyed that identified with this.

Not sure when it was when the beta males & angry women took over the Dems.... and the constipated "stick your nose in my private life" bible thumpers took over the Repubs.

This is interesting. Gets me to thinking about when I was in my teens/early 20s. The music I listened to(and still do) which is as much a mongrel mix as my political views. I tend to lean a bit right, though not as far as I used to, and find myself swaying a bit in the breeze as time marches on. But when a stiff wind hits me I stay straight. I dislike being forced.

The music you posted I believe is called "outlaw country/ Western." It's just a step or so off of most Southern Rock in content, but not tone. A band called The Outlaws (not the Waylon Willie one) crossed over a lot from Rock to this sort of style. From Green Grass and High Tides to Lady in Waiting. Indeed this music does identify with people like us. Not saddling up with either end (i.e. your closing statement) and landing in the middle.

Call it what you will. Lol, but we're mutts when it comes to politics. Much of the music we identify with shows that trait. I wouldn't describe myself as liberal, certainly not a hippy, but not a full blown conservative either and again, certainly not a Bible thumper. Without getting into specific issues I firmly believe in minding my own and letting folks be on their merry.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
  • Legalize marijuana

I'm surprised that I am closer to your views than I would have thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies