Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:16 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And how much $$$ American taxpayers get hosed for.
no different than the trillion dollars obama gave away and we got nothing, in fact they dont even know where it went.

sooooooo, after all this money in spent, at least we can claim, we have a wall/fence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:02 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no different than the trillion dollars obama gave away and we got nothing, in fact they dont even know where it went. sooooooo, after all this money in spent, at least we can claim, we have a wall/fence
Well you won't be entirely sure if the money was spent on it, because it will be invisible!!!

“There will be the physical wall and then parts of the wall that you can actually see through because it will rely on sensors and other technology,” Herridge said, reporting live from near the border in Texas.
Mexican border wall could take just two years to build | New York Post

Old 02-02-2017, 11:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,784,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I'm really curious about this, because I have always been taught that Congress holds the purse-strings. The President can't spend any money unless its been appropriated by Congress. So Dems are going to vote no, and I would think a lot of Republicans who preach cutting govt spending would also have a difficult time approving $20 billion.

I know Trump said he might fund it through a tariff on Mexico. But here too, I question his authority. Can the President just slap a tariff on any country without Congressional approval? Even if he can, the money raised through the tariff is not his to do whatever he pleases with. Perhaps Congress would approve the spending if Trump shows he is off-setting the cost with income from a tariff. But this all ain't gonna happen overnight.
I have been thinking about this the same way you are. If I remember correctly both things, they have to go through congress for approval. Also that Trump can't impose a tariff if it's over so much. I could be very wrong though.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,909,512 times
When they built a concert stage in the big park near my house they sold "bricks" with your name on them for $25 - $ 100 so you could show community support. If they sold bricks for The Wall for $ 100 a pop, they would sell at least 100,000 of them which would raise $ 10,000,000 for the effort. I'd buy one.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:03 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,562,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
“I think the funding will come relatively quickly ... we will build it where it's needed first as identified by the men and women who work the border."

"If we could surge the court proceedings -- immigration court proceedings on the border -- and within the law, do it very rapidly ... I think that alone would act as a huge deterrent for people who are considering making the trip up."

DHS secretary: Border wall should be finished in two years | Fox News

This was perhaps President Trump's signature issue. It will be exciting to watch how the border wall is completed so quickly.
I think the wall is finished, already.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 AM

636 posts, read 391,489 times
It'll go all the way to Bowling Green!

Old 02-03-2017, 12:18 AM

7,178 posts, read 4,744,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I think the term fence and wall are interchangeable in this matter
Ah yes! Let's start lowering expectations and making adjustments.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 AM

7,178 posts, read 4,744,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
When they built a concert stage in the big park near my house they sold "bricks" with your name on them for $25 - $ 100 so you could show community support. If they sold bricks for The Wall for $ 100 a pop, they would sell at least 100,000 of them which would raise $ 10,000,000 for the effort. I'd buy one.
This is a very, very good idea. WOW, are you sure you're a Trump voter?

I'm not buying one, but if some folks want their name on a brick, I'm all for it.

Every dollar helps...as long as it isn't my dollars.

It's a good idea indeed.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:56 PM

707 posts, read 746,037 times
I'd have to tell them good luck getting it finished in two years. Everyone here seems pretty unanimous on this.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,724,631 times
This is the only thing that I disagree with Trump about is building the wall. The people coming over the Mexican border should be our last worry. He should concentrate on the flow of people coming into the country from overseas. This is the real threat. The travel slowdown was a good step in that direction so there is time to revise the immigration process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies