Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:19 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I am neither a democrat nor a republican.
I am neither conservative nor a liberal.
I am part independent part libertarian.

Nothing in the current federal government structure shares the majority of my belief structure yet I'm still proud to be American. I think "America" is great as once was "Rome" but Americans have become weak, culturally bankrupt and no longer deserve the title as greatest in the world.

Both sides blame the other. Both sides believe that they are correct and their vision for America is superior which in fact both are inferior representations of what we once strove to be.

Dwight D Eisenhower (the last great president IMO) had the following to say in his farewell address:

Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961 (Full transcript)

Dwight was very articulate about a better vision for American in a growing complex and dangerous world. Internal and external threats be warned... There were clear guidelines to follow for the future of American and we got off course.

He was our Marcus Aurelius, a last leader of a golden age. All future presidents have sold us out down the river in one form or another. They have been a string of Commodus or a beginning to an end yet we cannot see it.

what? get with the program we are in-2017 and that "world" is long gone---

Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
Violence is never the answer and anyone on either side who does it is wrong.

As for me, I did not vote for Trump. I think he's not fit for the Presidency. With that said, i'm lying if there aren't things that he says or does that I agree with however i don't think he is going to serve this country and the people very well. I think he's an ego driven narcissist and it's going to bite him and all of US in the end. He's just like a bully in that he thinks he can talk tough to Iran or Korea and Mexico and they'll just bow down to give him what he wants. It's not going to happen...especially when other world leaders are just as ego drive and narcissistic as him. I firmly believe that in his 4 years, we are going to be in another military crusade (i won't say war) against another country.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I didn't vote for Trump, but I'm disgusted by all the anti-Trump hatred. The knee-jerk reactions, the sheer stupidity, hypocrisy, closed-mindedness, arrogance. UGH. I'm sick of it! For example, I just saw the thread about the nationwide strike to be held on Feb 17, and I'm thinking wtf??? Everyone is supposed to skip work because...????

The more anti-Trump hatred I hear, the more I feel myself wanting to cheer him on and support him. (I don't even understand that about myself---some psychological reaction I guess). He is an odd guy, and has said/done things I strongly disagree with, but he is our president now, and we should all want him to succeed. But the left would never want to admit that he is capable of doing even one ounce of good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You speak of stupidity, hypocrisy, close-mindedness, and arrogance. Let me let you in on a nonsecret about your candidate and President. The man who says he represents the working man has appointed nothing but Wall Street billionaires to his Cabinet; billionaires who have no experience in government or politics. The man who says he advocates "freedom of religion" is shutting out Muslims by severely restricting Muslim immigration. Whether you like Muslims or not, they constitute a religion and deserve religious freedom just like Christians. And anyone who truly believes these restrictions are "merely temporary" is living in a fantasy land. There is no evidence of that.

The man who says he believes in equality for all citizens is curtailing women's reproductive rights by defunding Planned Parenthood, which is a major source of contraception and prenatal care for women. He is the ultimate example or hypocrisy and is the typical lying politician. I have no hate for Trump voters. I do think they don't understand the man they voted for is corrupt to the core.
Scooby, the first five words of my post were I DIDN'T VOTE FOR TRUMP.

Yes, I think it's hypocritical of protesters at Berkely to refuse to even let Milo Y speak at their school. Free speech and all that. Yes, I think it is arrogant of people opposed to Trump's immigration EO to expect Uber drivers to give up an hour of their pay. Yes, I think its's stupid when YahooNews runs a story headlined "Everyone is Deleting the Uber App" (Really? Everyone? Exaggerate much?) Yes, I think it is stupid to expect everyone to skip work on Feb 17, as if everyone can easily afford to do give up a day's pay, or worse, to risk losing their job altogether. Yes, I think it's hypocritical that the women's March included a torturer-murderer, and was headed by a Muslim (Islam is not known for being supportive of rights for women or gays). Yes, I think it's closed-minded when people hate EVERYTHING Trump does and says, even when Bill, Hillary, or Obama have said and done similar things and were praised for it.

So yes, I am disgusted. And I am frustrated that even though I did not support Trump or vote for him, you felt the need to lecture me with an air of superiority, as if *I* couldn't possibly also be concerned about his cabinet choices or him trying to get Roe v Wade reversed. It is that air of superiority, and contempt from the left, that saddens and angers me. I'm a Libertarian, I'm not left or right, so sometimes I feel like I'm hated on by everyone, and left and right hate each other. What kind of society is being created with all this hatred and anger???

You and I are probably more alike than different, but you blasted me, and why??? It's that knee-jerk reaction that I referred to in my post. Some people just have to be angry. And worse (I've seen this a lot) people get angry at those of us who aren't acting angry! Liberals don't even want to hear anything about give Trump a chance, or how can we TOGETHER move this country forward. For example, I heard today that the Uber's and Disney's CEOs have now pulled out of Trump's economic panel. They won't even work with him for the betterment of our country (and I am sure it is because they feared backlash from liberals who couldn't stand the thought of anyone even ATTEMPTING to help this president succeed.)

It all makes me sick.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I do not condone violent protest or destruction of either private or public property; however, I do support our Constitutional right to gather peacefully in protest of that which we believe is unjust.

Personally, I have never believed that Donald Trump is fit to serve as president, and nothing he has done in office has disabused me of that notion. As for safety pins and pink hats, they are a form of free speech, which is granted to all Americans. I wear neither, but I'm perfectly okay with those who do.
Randomparent said it perfectly for me.

I thought Trump would be a disaster and it's turning out worse than I feared.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:36 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm a liberal. I didn't really support or vote for Trump. I chose not to vote this year because I really thought Hillary would win, but Hillary looks like she's the devil...lied her whole campaign about stupid things (like the emails and her health), instead of talking to people she just pandered (like the time she talked to black people and had to mention that she carries hot sauce with her...or using black celebrities to promote her instead of actually taking the time to just....talk to these black communities), and quite frankly, she didn't ever say what she'd do as President, it was just "Vote for me because Trump is sexist and....IM A WOMAN!". I couldn't get behind her.

But for me, I grew up with Donald Trump since the 90's. He's been around for quite some time. I was even at the Wrestlemania that Trump was at when he had his battle with Vince McMahon. The first thing that really kinda tipped me off was when people started calling him racist. That confused me, because Trump was a guy who was universally loved by all races and he never gave me a racist vibe before when I saw him talking to non-white people.

But what tipped me off the most was when he made fun of that handicapped reporter. I saw it on some Facebook video (like AJ+ or NowThis). But, as someone with a handicapped niece, something seemed off. So I went on YouTube and checked the source...turns out...he DIDN'T make fun of the reporter or mock him at all. But the media painted that picture. It was there and then I knew something was up.

Now I realize that the media is doing everything they can to make him look bad. And it's been a powerful tool, as these reports are literally just made up these days and have people outraged and brainwashed. Now we have people deleting people because they voted for Trump. Attacking people for wearing Trump gear (I've seen this in person at the Women's March in DC). Now the left is using violence (which was NEVER EVER advocated before), turning a blind eye to when Trump people get beat up, setting stuff on fire for no reason, and using Hollywood as propaganda for everyone to hate the sitting President. Never have I ever seen this before. CEO's of companies have to DENOUNCE the President now.

I don't care for Trump. But, he's the President. I'm not gonna go wear Trump gear or anything, but the way the liberals have been acting the past few months is damn near embarrassing and pathetic. They are making themselves look like fools out here protesting about nothing. They protest about random refugees not being able to come here for 90 DAYS, yet, won't ever take the time to help out homeless people in our own inner cities. They run around with Black Lives Matters signs, but will never ever visit the projects to try to help out poor blacks. They protest like their rights are being taken away and that they're suffering and oppressed. Then, they get to get directions on their fancy iPhone to the nearest hotel, can afford to buy a nice meal at a restaurant, and go sleep in their warm beds and take their birth control and live comfortably, yet...are SO OPPRESSED!

They talk about Trump being a fascist and how they need their free speech, but attack people for having an opposite viewpoint of theirs and will literally censor anyone who doesn't see their viewpoints. Or just randomly throw out buzz words for people who don't agree like "you're racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynistic, sexist, etc".

Quite frankly, I'm a liberal who will never lower myself to their pathetic level of hypocrisy. I don't go off stuff because Buzzfeed or CNN tell me to. I like going off FACTS. And the fact is, Trump is the President now. I'm just not falling for any of this crap. It's just a shame that these people are this brainwashed. I'm going to just accept and embrace the new President because if he fails, we all fail. Let's hope he takes the country in the right direction, and I'll continue to ignore the BS the media is putting out.
I can't rep you again, but I admire you for what you've said here. I hope to see lots more of your rational, intelligent posts.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The irony is that you stand in the sidelines while 1 party has promised to rebuild our decimated military to the tune of trillions, as much as i respect Mathis and Kelly ,Flynn to a lesser degree and you hour they do the right thing, they were in the boards or otherwise heavily vested with the biggest companies of that military complex you claim to be against.
That is missing the point, I'm sorry that I can't articulate the issue in a manner that you can comprehend.

1 example:

Executive Order 12333 was created by Reagan on December 4, 1981 to extend the powers of the intelligence community; specifically the CIA and NSA.

GWB then created EO 13355 & 13470 that modified and strengthened many provisions of the original act.

Obama then took 12333 and expanded the availability of the intelligence found under these acts so that all domestic federal agencies could review it.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/obama-ad...s-intelligence

To me this is a clear picture of how the military industrial complex has infiltrated both parties to all levels of the federal government.

Another example is Lockheed that has botched the design, development, and production phases of both the F22 and F35 programs. Every step of the way from a project management perspective they have over-promised and under-delivered. Over budget, behind plan, capabilities not managing the user Spec. They have botched most every phase of project management for Trillions of $ yet continue to get rewarded with new contracts (hello B52 bomber replacement).

If you and I pitched a program costing $10 in development and $20 per unit cost of a jet yet the development cost $50 and the unit cost was $100 for an inferior product we would be fired.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what? get with the program we are in-2017 and that "world" is long gone---
actually it's not... you can replace communism threat with extreme radicalization. Different flavor of the TCBY threat.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:43 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
I support the protestors peacefully assembling. I do not support the violence, I don't support any violence.

I don't like President Trump, and don't like what he's doing.

My thoughts on what's happening in this country? Just a general sadness. People used to be so much more civil to one another, or maybe I'm not as naive as I used to be. I don't know. I don't blame this on the President, obviously. I don't think it's entirely coincidental either, though.

I certainly don't hate him. I love him, actually, I wish he were more thoughtful and less impulsive, being more kind and less contentious wouldn't hurt. I'm disappointed in him more than anything. I was impressed with him picking Justice Gorusch to take over for Justice Scalia. I've read that he is very intelligent, and fair and impartial. I would have preferred Justice Garland obviously, but beggars can't be choosers haha.

That's all I have to say about that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
We've had three months of crying, safety pin displaying, safe spacing, Hollywood videotaping, vote recounting, Russian accusing, Democrat obstructing, city destroying, p***y-hat wearing, fake news watching, dissatisfaction with the results of the 2016 election.

My question is for those who voted for someone other than Trump and/or who did not vote in the last election. For those who are NOT wholly invested in hating on Trump. What do you really think about what has been happening across the country?

How do the feel about the response from liberals who loathe Trump, his voters, and everything they stand for? Do you agree with their responses? Support their responses? Think their responses are good or bad for the country (and for the party)?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if there are any liberals on this site who are disgusted with how things are playing out among the people of this country, and who are willing to accept the results of the election and give Trump an honest chance to govern.

Anybody out there?

Old 02-03-2017, 10:45 AM

420 posts, read 704,105 times
I am a centrist who leans left who voted third party. First generation American.
What do you really think about what has been happening across the country? I think a lot of the fear comes from the fear mongering that the MSM did. But in all, I don't think this presidency will be any different than others, except being under more scrutiny.

How do the feel about the response from liberals who loathe Trump, his voters, and everything they stand for? Do you agree with their responses? Support their responses? Think their responses are good or bad for the country (and for the party)? I think it's ****ing annoying. I feel like there is a lot of group think going around, and that the democratic party has completely changed in their ideals and values. To sum up: I think progressives/democrats have lost their ever loving minds. I don't mind the peaceful protesting, it's mostly the safe space needing Chicken Littles screaming HitlerHitlerHitler that annoy me.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if there are any liberals on this site who are disgusted with how things are playing out among the people of this country, and who are willing to accept the results of the election and give Trump an honest chance to govern.

Anybody out there?
Yes, I am disgusted, but I have some bad experience with over zealous liberals, including a white woman who said my mom supported the KKK because she backed Trump (we are Asian immigrants). But I hold to my values, and try to recognize the extreme liberals are a small minority.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
There is no doubt that the "swamp needs to be drained". I believe that would unite virtually all of the country.

But, to do it, you need an articulate, educated, experienced and smart person to do it.

We live in a global world. The internet, the smart phone, air travel and our life styles make everything in the world at our fingertips. Any solution to America's issues involve the entire world. Becoming an isolationist is not going to work in the modern world.

Just look at what goes into an automobile? Parts from Japan, Indonesia, Canada, the US, Mexico, Argentina, France and dozens of other nations. That's the way things work. PIzz off the Canadians and the vehicle doesn't move.

Trump is, as Romney said, a dirt bag. A liar, a fraud, a con-man, a charlatan. He is WAY out of his league, not to mention the apparent mental challenges which he faces. You can't take a guy who spent his entire life screwing people over and put him in charge of the strongest and most benevolent nation on earth and expect satisfactory results. He is very capable of running his mouth (which ALWAYS comes back to what a great person HE is), but not so good at bringing people together and accomplishing mutual goals. Remember the Health Care Plan that was "all set to go on day one"? That was just one of many lies which he tried to get Americans to accept.

Those of us who know the Donald knew it was going to be a bad experiment; we never imagined it could be this bad. And yet, the goal is quite easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies