Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 07:47 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"President Trump's executive order on travel may be generating big protests, but an IRS missive on travel and passports may not go down too well either. More than a year ago, in H.R.22, Congress gave the IRS a new weapon to collect taxes. Tax code Section 7345 is labeled, “Revocation or Denial of Passport in Case of Certain Tax Delinquencies.” The law isn't limited to criminal tax cases, or even cases where the IRS thinks you are trying to flee. The idea of the law is to use travel as a way to enforce tax collections. It was proposed and rejected in 2012. But by late 2015, Congress passed it and President Obama signed it."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw.../#1a4527de40fb
I'm all for this President Obama law. How the heck do you have money to travel outside of the country and not pay back taxes? I would lower the $50,000 amount threshold, though.

This is "the rich man's" version of food stamp chutzpah (buying expensive items using food stamps). It's going to out them to their bosses, too, if their passport is taken away and they can't travel for business until they pay their tax debt. The IRS gives you a break on this if you have an installment agreement set up with a revenue officer or an offer in compromise. There are other exceptions you might want to check out.

Before the State Department takes action they will hold up that action for 90 days. 90 Days? Lots of luck with that one. It takes them more than a year to fill FOIA requests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm all for this President Obama law. How the heck do you have money to travel outside of the country and not pay back taxes? I would lower the $50,000 amount threshold, though.

This is "the rich man's" version of food stamp chutzpah (buying expensive items using food stamps). It's going to out them to their bosses, too, if their passport is taken away and they can't travel for business until they pay their tax debt. The IRS gives you a break on this if you have an installment agreement set up with a revenue officer or an offer in compromise. There are other exceptions you might want to check out.

Before the State Department takes action they will hold up that action for 90 days. 90 Days? Lots of luck with that one. It takes them more than a year to fill FOIA requests.
Yeah... Trump never would have signed that one.

I am sure there are exemptions for business travel, though. I haven't read it yet, but this has to be for recreational travel.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:49 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
$10 says they never stop our governor.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I am sure there are exemptions for business travel, though. I haven't read it yet, but this has to be for recreational travel.
Why should there be exemptions for business travel. (noting that you didn't say there should be, just saying that there likely would be).

Old 02-03-2017, 08:18 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
The o.p might have a point if taxes or the IRS were legitimate.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The o.p might have a point if taxes or the IRS were legitimate.
What is your plan for building bridges across major waterways?

Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I'm for the law. I'm just hearing about it now because the IRS finally has the instructions in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies