Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 07:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Nothing illegal or unconstitutional about Trump's 90 day ban. Or, can you cite the law and or where in the Constitution Trump is prohibited from issuing the 90 day ban?

I'll wait...

This restraint will be overturned before you can cite anything.
I can quote (again) the LAW (United States Code) that gives the President the right to impose a ban on immigration by from any CLASS of people:

And again, 8 USC 1182 says, in part:

"(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President
Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline."

Note that there is no requirement for the President to have any review by anybody. His power of proclamation under this law is absolute, to "suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens"!
This IS the LAW OF THE LAND!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I don't think that everyone is angry. I think many are frightened and anger is a defense they exhibit to cover their own fear. Thats ok. A deep breath can do wonders. The planet is still turning around the sun, the air is clear and clean most places and love is elusive and in the air each day. Be glad you're here. Signs and Wonders.
Change, especially RADICAL change (Trump vs past leaders) scares the snot out of many people and you're most likely right in what you say...

What people, EVERYONE actually needs to do is take a breath, look around and realize the earth will still be turning tomorrow, the U.S. will not end in a day (unless some idiot dictator hits a button) and not even Trump, as fast as he goes can destroy the U.S. in a month. There are checks and balances in the system to buffer Presidential actions.

If we don't slow down the roll of the hate/vitriol/violence train outside forces won't have to do anything to us, we'll EAT OURSELVES from within.
What EVERYONE should be fighting is those who wish to foment/perpetrate violence in any form against any other citizen or properties in the U.S.. To those that don't?
YOU are helping those that wish our demise.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:48 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
I'm happy the appeals court refused to hear this case. Maybe justice will prevail after all. No one is above the law, not even him. If the appeals court is upholding this, there must be legal merit to it.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Or maybe he is just a fair and compassionate Judge. We've lost the caring for one another we once had, and are cynical when someone, like this Judge, does good things for people who need a hand.
Hey, I've got no issue with what he does on his own time, good on him. I do have a problem when a judge legislates from the bench or colors his "interpretations" of the written law with his beliefs.
From what I've read so far the President, any President has in his power the right to do what Trump did. To be clear I'm not endorsing the way it was done, just the Presidential right to do so.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
Whether you like it or not, the ban IS within the presidents right and as the DOJ says, has no basis in constitutional law as immigrant visa holders do not have rights granted by the constitution.
Let the courts decide this one

Old 02-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm happy the appeals court refused to hear this case. Maybe justice will prevail after all. No one is above the law, not even him. If the appeals court is upholding this, there must be legal merit to it.
I honestly do not understand how you can say this, given the United States Code that I have repeatedly quoted. (Look at Post #420)
It is true, No one is above the law, not even a District Court Judge.
The law (8 USC 1182) seems to be quite clear as to the Presidential power.
How has justice been served, and the law obeyed?
Please explain.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
OF COURSE THEY DID, it is the 9th Circuit after all. The most liberal and reversed court in all the land (83%), that should tell you something about them and why it was filed in WA to begin with...

Old 02-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
OF COURSE THEY DID, it is the 9th Circuit after all. The most liberal and reversed court in all the land, that should tell you something about them and why it was filed in WA to begin with...
That's why there is currently a move to separate some states from the 9th Circuit Court and create a new Court. People in some of the states covered by the 9th are totally sick of them, and they want OUT!
Let CA, OR, and WA have their liberal Court. The rest of us want a Court that reflects OUR values, not liberal CA values!

Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Quote:
Change, especially RADICAL change (Trump vs past leaders) scares the snot out of many people and you're most likely right in what you say...

What people, EVERYONE actually needs to do is take a breath, look around and realize the earth will still be turning tomorrow, the U.S. will not end in a day (unless some idiot dictator hits a button) and not even Trump, as fast as he goes can destroy the U.S. in a month. There are checks and balances in the system to buffer Presidential actions.

If we don't slow down the roll of the hate/vitriol/violence train outside forces won't have to do anything to us, we'll EAT OURSELVES from within.
What EVERYONE should be fighting is those who wish to foment/perpetrate violence in any form against any other citizen or properties in the U.S.. To those that don't?
YOU are helping those that wish our demise.
You were doing ok until you went sideways. Take it easy. It's going to be ok.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:03 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Quote:
Hey, I've got no issue with what he does on his own time, good on him. I do have a problem when a judge legislates from the bench or colors his "interpretations" of the written law with his beliefs.
From what I've read so far the President, any President has in his power the right to do what Trump did. To be clear I'm not endorsing the way it was done, just the Presidential right to do so.
Trump sees this as a time of national threat and has the responsibility to protect the country by his actions. He feels that the courts have no power in this one. So far he is not correct. We will see how this plays out but on this one I agree with his actions and believe the judge acted unconstitutionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies