Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,777,005 times

Advertisements

Go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 02:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Truthfully, I don't think the intent would be to shutter up legitimate and honestly beneficial research. Trump isn't as stupid as you're saying. He understands fully, having run large interests that make serious money via R&D, how to examine where the money goes and what is worth keeping and what can be shut down. Any funding cuts would be aimed at specific areas. Berkely and other far left type leftist bastions using massive amounts of federal money for "research" will be seeing that research scrutinized , and useless studies and such cut off in favor of diverting those funds to honest research endeavors.

I don't foresee a blanket defunding of all programs, just selected ones that serve no real purpose other than promoting far left political agendas. Research in medicine and medical arts, hard tech such as energy, metallurgy, agriculture, and such, and programs with truly beneficial advances and application won't suffer. The defunding that takes place will not be conducted in such a childish fashion as you foresee. Oh, you may not like it, being as "liberal arts" grants and other politically and ideologically based "studies" and "research" will indeed suffer, with those funds being diverted into more productive areas. But most of us don't see that as a bad thing. It's been to long coming in reality.
You realize those "leftist" departs get no money right? And why would programs be cut for politics either way.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:32 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,998,003 times
This won't happen. Probably. I do think there is some serious introspection required by those running our universities about the directions they've been going in though. They need to reign themselves in before someone does it for them.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:42 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,939,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Parents are pulling kids from both UC Berkley and NYU
Mind telling us how you know this?

Old 11-18-2017, 11:43 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,939,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
UC would lose $9 billion for research, healthcare, education if Trump cut federal funds - LA Times
It looks like California is very dependent on federal funding to their higher education campuses.
It is amazing how much of a welfare state higher education is also when one university system gets 9 billion dollars in federal welfare money.
It also reinforces the fact that higher education is in a massive bubble right now and is dependent on federal government to continue.
From your link

"Legal experts say presidents have no authority to cut off federal funds for alleged violations of the 1st Amendment."

Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
There are public universities out there that are now ensuring that ALL students, regardless of whether they take the inane 'liberal arts' courses we all know have been deliberately indoctrinating new liberals into the fold, are expanding their mandatory courses on subjects like Civics to grab the minds of STEM students as well. Civics .. well, that should be a wonderful thing to teach .. all Americans should have a good background in the (real) history of the US and its Constitution. Agreed - and it should have been taught in grade school - but the problem with these particular courses is the focus and main content which does NOT spend much, if any time, on those good basic things but instead overtly promotes activism even to the extent of requiring all students to hit the streets to protest something in order to pass the courses. Any public institution of higher learning which does this - impose mandatory and deliberately inflammatory courses on all students regardless of their major - should have at least the ability to fund those activities curtailed.

The Milo issue at Berkeley has to do with the fact that free speech is being unfairly suppressed at many college campuses - but it is being done without saying that speakers with which the administration disagrees cannot come there. What is happening is that when a speaker with which the administration does agree and wants to promote is scheduled, no security fees are imposed. They know that their conservative students won't destroy anything or make waves - because they believe in free speech so in theory security won't be required (but, if it should be, they would provide it at no cost anyway).

When someone who they don't really want there to influence their students is set to arrive, at the last minute they ask for huge sums to cover the security side of things (and then encourage their more liberal students to go out and protest and destroy stuff to prove that security was required - but, when that security IS required, the security officers just stand around and watch the destruction happen anyway). If students cannot raise (or the speaker can't or won't pay for the security fees they were never even told about till the last minute) the monies, sometimes the speaker has to be cancelled or if the money is found and the speaker decides to go ahead anyway, the protesters will ensure that it is scary or even dangerous for either the speaker or the attendees to enter/exit the venue. Meanwhile the university can say .. we allowed them here but they decided not to speak or come. We didn't inhibit free speech. They were quitters.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Free speech is not banned "in university." At least not in the U.S. Maybe you live somewhere else?
Ironically....Arizona republicans passed several laws limiting free speech at public universities, under the guise of protecting conservatives from "libural brainwashing".

It is verboten to discuss any topic tangent to politics, be it Republican or Democratic.

WTF, Arizona - Inside Higher Ed - One Arizona bill would punish professors who violate FCC obscenity standards; another seeks to protect conservative faculty from alleged discrimination.

$500 Fines for Political Profs - Inside Higher Ed - Faculty members who speak on controversial topics would pay -- literally -- under bill approved by Arizona Senate panel.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:23 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,399,053 times
I've already made it clear that I won't contribute to my alma mater (Berkeley) until they get rid of pseudo-academic disciplines such as women's studies, Africana studies/Latino/Chicano studies, gay studies, trans studies, social justice studies, etc. Also, they need to end requiring students to take courses that promote diversity/white guilt/male guilt. Also, they need to stop hiring/retaining left wing nutjob professors. Also, they need to end showing favoritism to women/minorities in hiring, contracting, promotions, grading and admissions.

Also, if protesters riot because of a speaker showing up on campus, they should be expelled permanently if they are UC students. And the UC Berkeley police force should be replaced for doing nothing during the Milo riots. As for the private high school I attended, when I found out they were sending one of their teachers to a "white privilege" conference, I cut them off. There is too much (((tribal))) influence in education today. I hope Trump does manage to cut them off. Funny how the libs think UC doing the nation's nuclear weapons research is so great when they were complaining about it not all that long ago.

Last edited by dechatelet; 11-19-2017 at 12:36 AM..

Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,537,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The title of this thread is ridiculous because the President doesn't control how much federal money goes to individual universities.

The Trump cultists spewing their ignorance on this thread, are just a sample of what our country would become, if research and education were defunded and sabotaged. I guess they're angry because their own educations were cut so short. I wonder how many of them graduated from the 5th grade?

Old 11-19-2017, 12:41 AM

31,861 posts, read 14,847,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I've already made it clear that I won't contribute to my alma mater (Berkeley) until they get rid of pseudo-academic disciplines such as women's studies, Africana studies/Latino/Chicano studies, gay studies, trans studies, social justice studies, etc. Also, they need to end requiring students to take courses that promote diversity/white guilt/male guilt. Also, they need to stop hiring/retaining left wing nutjob professors. Also, they need to end showing favoritism to women/minorities in hiring, contracting, promotions, grading and admissions.

Also, if protesters riot because of a speaker showing up on campus, they should be expelled permanently if they are UC students. And the UC Berkeley police force should be replaced for doing nothing during the Milo riots. As for the private high school I attended, when I found out they were sending one of their teachers to a "white privilege" conference, I cut them off. There is too much (((tribal))) influence in education today. I hope Trump does manage to cut them off. Funny how the libs think UC doing the nation's nuclear weapons research is so great when they were complaining about it not all that long ago.
I don't think they really care. All alumnies get these letters to contribute. My kids are in their 20's and get these letters. So you aren't that special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies