Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 04:44 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times

Advertisements

So, if I wear a shirt the says "Proud to be German" am I a racist German/American? When you question me about it and find out I'm descended from German Jews, does it make it ok, or worse?

What I get from this thread is that you shouldn't be too proud of whatever race you are and I'm still not clear on what a white nationalist is. The whole thing sucks if you ask me. There are just way to many thought police living in this free country we have.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Labels and names, they are so pointless anymore. I don't care what awful thing someone wants to call me because nothing means anything now.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which is different in wanting to preserve your cultural identity, which is not based on inferior/superior races, IMO. While one has merit, the other is obviously deplorable, especially on a country like the US, which was NOT built on "white identity" or British identity. The US not comparable at all to, say, the British Isles, Japan, Korea. Racists often use East Asia as an excuse to justify their own white supremacy, while ignoring the fact that whites in North America are not "indigenous" to this side of the world.
What in the world are you talking about? The country is now very diverse but absolutely our origins are white and British. It is upon that base that the country was built. You may recall something called the Revolutionary War when 13 British colonies rebelled and formed the US. They weren't French, German, or Spanish colonies. They were British. The population at the time was roughly 80% white and though we now know slavery to have been a great wrong, the governing culture was based on a white identity.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:04 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
i.e. Just another long winded way to say the way way overused word, racist.

Nobody is listening anymore.

That's the dictionary for ya! trying to explain what we all know!

Old 02-05-2017, 05:20 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
What in the world are you talking about? The country is now very diverse but absolutely our origins are white and British. It is upon that base that the country was built. You may recall something called the Revolutionary War when 13 British colonies rebelled and formed the US. They weren't French, German, or Spanish colonies. They were British. The population at the time was roughly 80% white and though we now know slavery to have been a great wrong, the governing culture was based on a white identity.
OH BOY time for history lesson: let go of 5th grade history dear--

The notion of Spaniards fighting Frenchmen in Florida four decades before England established its first permanent settlement in America, and half a century before the Pilgrims sailed, is an unexpected notion to those accustomed to the familiar legends of Jamestown and Plymouth. Th Huguenots dispatched to establish a colony in America in 1564,

Read more: America's First True "Pilgrims" | History | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

When was the country we now know as the United States first settled?
If you said 1620 for the Pilgrims you are way off.
“The country we now know as the United States”, which I will call America for the rest of this post, was first settled by Asians thousands of years ago. When the Pilgrims landed, America already had millions of people. Like, say, Squanto, who taught them how to live in America.
The Pilgrims were not even the first white people. There were white people already living in:
  • Albany, New York
  • Sante Fe, New Mexico
  • St Augustine, Florida
  • Jamestown, Virginia
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
There were already Jews in New Mexico, Filipinos had already arrived in California and there were blacks living in Virginia, Florida and Puerto Rico. People who would become Chicanos were already in the south-west. All here before the Pilgrims came over on the Mayflower.
In Canada, just so you know, there white people already living in Nova Scotia and Quebec and English-speaking people in Newfoundland.
If you look at the European settlement of America in the 1610s and 1620s, the Pilgrims do not stick out:
https://abagond.wordpress.com/2012/1...-the-pilgrims/

why would you think only the Brits had boats? so we talking world domination here and who killed who

Old 02-05-2017, 05:35 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It seems the racist label isn't paying off enough for them so they are trying out White Nationalist and Alt Right.
Reminds me when liberals had to reinvent themselves as progressives, but that's what they do. Use a name till you they wear it out and then reinvent it using something else and flood the media with it so it sticks.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Interesting... shows that I didn't do well against my fellow "asian" brothers... lol

I'd like to know if the study took socioeconomic status into consideration... is the graph a depiction of academics by "race" or simply a reflection of socioeconomic disparities by "race".
It isn't a study. It's just the results from the math portion of the SAT broken down by race for each 50-point score interval group. As far as I know it isn't adjusted in any way. But no, socioeconomic factors cannot account for the fact that, among college-bound seniors taking the SAT, a hugely disproportionate number of very low scorers are black and Hispanic, and a similarly disproportionate number of very high scorers are Asian.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It isn't a study. It's just the results from the math portion of the SAT broken down by race for each 50-point score interval group. As far as I know it isn't adjusted in any way. But no, socioeconomic factors cannot account for the fact that, among college-bound seniors taking the SAT, a hugely disproportionate number of very low scorers are black and Hispanic, and a similarly disproportionate number of very high scorers are Asian.

Why can't socioeconomic factors account for the results when the fact that there are a lot more lower income, educationally deprived "college bound" black and hispanic youth in our country??

Please see post I wrote above. There is no gene associated with intelligence so there is no way to say that just by someone being black or hispanic that they are automatically worse at math than an Asian person. Many Asian languages have math built into them when one learns to count. Many European languages do as well. I am black but took French in high school and college. Once you get to a certain number in French, you are starting to add so French children, like Korean children for instance, automatically learn more math by way of their language structure.

Also, someone can be either white or black if they are hispanic. Also many black people have a rather large degree of European ancestry.

Socio-economics is the primary factor for all standardized testing BTW. Those in upper income levels automatically score higher on average than those of lower income levels. Not sure why you would even say the bold when it is absolutely true that socio-economics is involved in SAT and ACT scores.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 PM

On the cultural arguments being brought forth, it is always funny to me that many people believe subcultures, within American culture are vastly different from the mainstream. America has its own "culture" and all Americans, no matter their skin color, if they are reared here by parents who are at least 2 generations away from an immigrant ancestor - they are culturally American and nothing else. This includes blacks, whites (and the various regions of whites BTW), hispanics, and Asian Americans and also includes all the religious practices that are popular in America.

On being afraid of cultural influences of immigrants, IMO that is silly and especially so in regards to religious xenophobia in relation to Islam in particular. Islam is a religion based in Judaism, as is Christianity. They are culturally very similar as a result. The Arab world has always been culturally focused on education especially and when those groups immigrate to America, they are considered "white Americans" (people from the Middle East and N. Africa are considered "white" in America by racial category).

So I don't get the whole cultural thing either. What exactly are you white nationalist trying to "protect" in regards to culture that has in some way diminshed as a result of immigrant groups over the past 50-75 years in America? Our country has improved in nearly every category since the passage of the CRM and allowance of more immigrant groups to come to this country along with the acceptance of hundreds of thousands of refugees.

IMO white nationalism is about the fear of those specific white Americans who do not want to compete against anyone who is not a part of their "group." It is also built on the false idea that they are "superior" to others based on some special cultural attributes that are common throughout this country with all ethnic groups.

It is a special kind of hate and it is sad that more and more white people are of the idea that they have a specific culture that is only apparent amongst "whites" (not taking into effect that all "whites" are ethnically different based on their ancestor's original country of origin). And believe that they are "more" American culturally versus other ethnicities, especially black Americans, who have been in this country longer in most instances that a majority of white Americans ancestrally. I have very long roots in this country as a black person and a lot of my white friends in my area and family members by marriage - their grandparent/great grandparents were immigrant - mine were born in Ohio or another American state. So I could say I am "more" culturally American than my friends/family, but that would be stupid just like the argument "for" white nationalism and black nationalism.

Nationalism IMO can be generic based upon the country. I do have a bias in regards to my country of America and I do feel we are one of the best countries in the world. But I also am not dumb enough to believe that my culture as a black American is all that different from a white American or a Asian American or a Latino American. We are all Americans and adhere to American culture.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
So, if I wear a shirt the says "Proud to be German" am I a racist German/American? When you question me about it and find out I'm descended from German Jews, does it make it ok, or worse?

What I get from this thread is that you shouldn't be too proud of whatever race you are and I'm still not clear on what a white nationalist is. The whole thing sucks if you ask me. There are just way to many thought police living in this free country we have.
I know many German Americans who are proud of their ancestry just like I know many proud Jews.

White nationalism is not about being "proud" of your ethnic ancestry. It is about certain white people feeling they and their "white culture" (not based on nationality for some odd reason) are superior to other types of people in this country and the world at large. They are racists in the purest sense of the form - believing that your own ethnicity/race is superior to another means you are a racist.

A German proud of their German heritage and the German contributions to this country in particular (which are wonderful and numerous IMO) is totally different. FWIW, in my own research into my black American family, due to where my family lived, I've also learned a lot about German Americans. They were considered to be the most "fair" white people according to a lot of black abolitionists that I have read/researched and many of those same people stated that in the areas where my ancestors live in PA that Germans did not own slaves due to their association with Methodism. Also many of the early black churches joined the Methodist church denomination or included them in the "black church" based on the above being associated with Germans and Methodist in particular. Germans in my area were also involved in the Underground Railroad and I found an account of a German family risking their lives to save black children when some Irish men mobbed and attacked all the black people in our city in the 1860s during a race riot. Germans also dug/built all the trenches alongside many of our roads in NW Ohio and drained what was then the "Great Black Swamp." Without their work - which took decades - the area would not have prospered. So there is lot to be proud of in being German in my area and those who have German roots are proud and rightly should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies