U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 10:12 AM

381 posts, read 130,812 times

Advertisements

I saw a part of her press conference and she was asked whether she would make any statements, to which she responded she's been doing it throughout her career. I know she fights for LGBT rights and has some references in her song--like Born This Way which she sang last night and some thought it was a shot at VP Pence. I have no problem with her singing about what she believes in and many of her fans might belong to the LGBT community. Good for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 10:13 AM

19,758 posts, read 11,010,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually it was Arlo's dad who wrote "This Land Is Your Land." Woody, not Arlo. Arlo did, however, write that classic hit "Alice's Restaurant."
Yes. I mixed up which was father and which was son.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:16 AM

44,233 posts, read 35,794,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes. I mixed up which was father and which was son.
I just thought it was funny - no offense taken I hope!

Arlo seems more flippant than his dad but what do I know? I did think Alice's Restaurant was pretty funny.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 AM

4,955 posts, read 1,775,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Do you know the connection between "God Bless America" and "This Land is Your Land?" It wasn't happenstance that she put them together. If you think that is engaging in some kind of conspiracy theory so be it.

BTW: I just read her response at pre-Super Bowl press conference. Makes it pretty clear that it was intentional.
It was intentional and it was very effective. A lot more effective than an in-your-face Trump denunciation. Honestly I was never much of a Lady Gaga fan, but this was over the top smart, have some new found respect for her.

As far as the connections between God Bless America and This Land, that's well known. Woody Guthrie originally had named the song "God Blessed America for Me" because he was sick of hearing the Kate Smith rendition of God Bless America.

Not only that, but the irony of singing "God Bless America" at the Super Bowl, at a time in our history when we have a godless ego-maniacal hate-filled slug of a man as President is not lost on the nation (or the world).

Old 02-06-2017, 10:26 AM

3,940 posts, read 3,230,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It was intentional and it was very effective. A lot more effective than an in-your-face Trump denunciation. Honestly I was never much of a Lady Gaga fan, but this was over the top smart, have some new found respect for her.
I agree. Her music is not my cup of tea, but I have always admired her as a very talented musician, performer and businessperson who has been inventing and re-inventing her brand since she was in her early 20's.

From the performers perspective, the entire goal of the Superbowl is getting people to talk about you, and people spent all last week talking about what she might do, and now, everyone is talking about her based on what she didn't do. She's a smart cookie.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 02-06-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM

7,960 posts, read 2,727,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Not really.

"America First" is not nationalist?

KKK is not white supremacist?

Muslims should be banned, registered...

When you support this RW nonsense, you get tarred with the same brush.

"America first" may have an air of protectionism to it, but that's not "white nationlism" nor is there anything racist about it.

The KKK ? What KKK? They're all but dead and gone.
When was the last time you saw a KKK rally?
Had a cross burned on your lawn lately?

It's not a Muslim ban, otherwise we'd be blocking all travel from all Muslim countries... not sure how that doesn't compute?

And we've had a "registry" of potential terrorists since shortly after 9/11....including throughout Obama's terms.
Obama also temporarily blocked immigration from certain terror sponsoring countries during his time in office.

But....it's not racist when Democrats do it I suppose.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 AM

9,173 posts, read 7,027,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
It would be hilarious if Gaga piggy backed on the woman march and made statements how woman have no rights and can't achieve the same goals as men while she's getting paid millions of dollars performing at the Super Bowl......
It sure would, given that she didn't get paid anything for performing at the Super Bowl.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:46 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,520,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Arlo seems more flippant than his dad but what do I know? I did think Alice's Restaurant was pretty funny.
His dad suffered as a Dust Bowl refugee. He was an "Okie". He was part of the migration of people who fled Oklahoma to avoid starving to death. Not many people came out of that as "flippant". Living in tents in migrant labor camps picking fruit and seeing your children picking cotton to help put food on the table doesn't lead to "flippant". Woody's songs reflected the hard times, dire poverty and discrimination the migrants faced.

For the record: Woody Guthrie HATED Trump's father. He wrote a poem about it called "Old Man Trump". It was about Fred Trump's bigotry and the rampant racial discrimination in the apartment buildings he owned.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM

21,253 posts, read 21,740,289 times
I did notice the one part where the dancers behind her were clearly mouthing "Trump no good...he stinks"

Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,644,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Irrelevant...

If you walked up to an average American on the street and asked them if they thought that song was about open borders, they'd look at you like you just asked them for a lightly grilled weasel.
Yes, because the average American you'd talk to knows diddly squat about ... well anything really. I don't know how any American can be an educated adult and not understand what that song was and why Guthrie retooled it. It was an answer to the flag waving, jingoistic God Bless America song that was popular at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or