U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 04:04 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,676,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
What are you...15?
No. Just blunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 04:17 AM

4,926 posts, read 2,177,718 times
It was subtle but you would have to be savvy on current events to understand that.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:18 AM

66,240 posts, read 30,169,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Lady Gaga is an incredibly intelligent woman. There is no way that song selection was happenstance.
Why doesn't she practice what she preached with that song choice ('This Land...'): the abolition of private property rights?

Same question of Nancy Pelosi who also chose to sing that song to send a message. When is she going to give up her mansion and million$?

Old 02-07-2017, 04:19 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,676,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
It was subtle but you would have to be savvy on current events to understand that.
I agree.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:33 AM

11,419 posts, read 3,901,390 times
What is Lady GaGa's Official Economic Policy and where does she stand on Foreign Policy.????

I can't say I am a big fan of American Football, it just keeps stopping all the time, and didn't watch the Superbowl or GaGa.

Then again the time difference means the Superbowl is on in the early hours of the morning in the UK and Europe.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-07-2017 at 04:54 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 05:16 AM

15,301 posts, read 5,146,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why doesn't she practice what she preached with that song choice ('This Land...'): the abolition of private property rights?

Same question of Nancy Pelosi who also chose to sing that song to send a message. When is she going to give up her mansion and million$?
So that is what you take away from that song?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So that is what you take away from that song?
Yes, because that actually IS what the song is about. As I posted earlier:

Quote:
It was written as a protest to private property ownership, and that is made clear by this verse:

"There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me. The sign was painted, said 'Private Property.' But on the backside, it didn't say nothing. This land was made for you and me."

The Story Of Woody Guthrie's 'This Land Is Your Land' : NPR

I learned that while mentoring a student who produced a documentary on protest songs for the National History Day competition.

That said, and in light of the original intent of Guthrie's protest song, I'll repeat my question...

How many illegal aliens are living in Lady Gaga's house? None? Why not?
I'm going to guess that both Lady Gaga and Nancy Pelosi are too stupid to realize that they're advocating for the abolition of private property.

Certainly neither one of them is giving up their own private property to actually practice what they preach.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:39 AM

15,301 posts, read 5,146,895 times
Quote:
Yes, because that actually IS what the song is about. As I posted earlier:

I'm going to guess that both Lady Gaga and Nancy Pelosi are too stupid to realize that they're advocating for the abolition of private property.

Certainly neither one of them is giving up their own private property to actually practice what they preach.

No it's not.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Arlo_Guthrie

[My mother] said, "Arlo, I was out in the middle of China. And they brought out these school kids, and they started singing us songs, and they started singing 'This Land is Your Land', and I said 'STOP! Stop the song! My husband wrote that song!" She must have drove them nuts! She was driving me nuts about it! It was weeks after she had got back she hadn't slowed down about it one little bit! And I just looked at her and I said, "You know, mom...California.....to the New York Island. What are they singing it for over there anyhow?" She just looked with one of those Mom kind of looks. She said, "Oh Arlo..." She walked away. I was left standing there feeling like my usual self. I knew she was right, but I just didn't know why. After a while though, it come to me. I could see it, just because it said "California to the New York Island", didn't mean it had to go the short way! I could see it going around back! Redwood Forests, Gulf stream waters, around that way! Then the whole world could be singing that song! Except America.
Talking about the song "This Land is Your Land" which was his father's most famous song, and his mother's trip to China. (Live in Sydney)

Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 AM

2,477 posts, read 2,515,030 times
Ugh. The conservatives in my area were so offended they tried to burn the town down. Half is just smoldering ashes as I type. Admittedly, it is a small town.

Yeah. That was bs. Just like it's bs to waste time what an entertainer "means." So shake off my sarcastic post, just like I shook off a singer's attempt at a political statement.

She sure has a good voice, though.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No it's not.
Yes, it is.

The complete verses include the following:
There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me.
The sign was painted, said ‘Private Property.’
But on the backside, it didn’t say nothing.
This land was made for you and me.

One bright sunny morning in the shadow of the steeple,
by the relief office I saw my people.
As they stood hungry,
I stood there wondering if God blessed America for me.
So... When will Lady Gaga and Nancy Pelosi give up their private property homes and million$ to benefit everyone, as they espouse by deliberately choosing to invoke Guthrie's song?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or