Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:52 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,522,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
So is etc. including LGBTQ? Seriously, you can't even say sexual orientation. LOL I'm sure some of your best friends are etc.
What?

Actually my favorite contractor - the one who has done over $100k of remodeling on my house over the past three years - is gay. She'll be over later today since her company is currently remodeling my master bath. My next door neighbors - and THEIR next door neighbors two doors down from me - are gay.

I couldn't care less who consenting adults have sex with, as long as it's with other consenting adults. And as for employment and other rights - may the best man, or woman, or WHATEVER - win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 AM

88,733 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What?

Actually my favorite contractor - the one who has done over $100k of remodeling on my house over the past three years - is gay. She'll be over later today since her company is currently remodeling my master bath. My next door neighbors - and THEIR next door neighbors two doors down from me - are gay.

I couldn't care less who consenting adults have sex with, as long as it's with other consenting adults. And as for employment and other rights - may the best man, or woman, or WHATEVER - win.

I bought my house from a gay couple: Ken and Kenny. They are wonderful people! Also rented a home in Palm Springs for a week on vacation from a gay couple: Jaime and Brian. Also wonderful people!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,925,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Yes, I know there is more than one verse in the Start-Spangled Banner. I also know some of the history of its creation.

Not sure the connection to Lady Gaga's performance at the super bowel. The 2 she sang at the start of the show are connected. I guess you can believe that she was unaware of the connection and therefore the selections were just happenstance if it makes you feel better.

For me, its not like I had to look it up or google it, I knew instantly that was extremely likely the selection was intentional. I'm more convinced today having read her answer in a pre-Super Bowl press conference. Subtle: yes, over the head of many: apparently.
The point was, as I'd said upthread that there are many songs that have lost their original intended meaning or that have been changed at some point and then became popular.

The point is, it's not that people who don't know the historical context of the songs GAGA sang are stupid, or that if one doesn't know that the original song was longer they are somehow ignorant or that it went "over their heads", it's that the songs she sang lost their original intent years ago along with the extra words and most people are not so OCD to go back and parse every freakin' thing to find hidden meanings in a super bowl performance.

It was NOT an overtly political performance and for that I appreciate it...

Now where are those damn chem trails at....

Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,831,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The point was, as I'd said upthread that there are many songs that have lost their original intended meaning or that have been changed at some point and then became popular.

The point is, it's not that people who don't know the historical context of the songs GAGA sang are stupid, or that if one doesn't know that the original song was longer they are somehow ignorant or that it went "over their heads", it's that the songs she sang lost their original intent years ago along with the extra words and most people are not so OCD to go back and parse every freakin' thing to find hidden meanings in a super bowl performance.

It was NOT an overtly political performance and for that I appreciate it...

Now where are those damn chem trails at....
You know for someone who claimed they didn't care you seem awfully concerned.

The issue in the thread is whether or not Lady Gaga made a political statement. It was instantly apparent that she had. Its a statement that many find acceptable or didn't catch. It doesn't require deep thought, intense analysis or extensive parsing for hidden meanings. Anyone who knew the history of "This Land is Your Land" would likely instantly catch what Lady Gaga had done. I hadn't given it much further thought until I saw this thread.

I have no idea how many people currently know or care about "This Land is Your Land", however the YouTube video I posted earlier does show that it has been song at protest marches around the country over the last couple of weeks by people of varying ages.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:

The issue in the thread is whether or not Lady Gaga made a political statement. It was instantly apparent that she had. Its a statement that many find acceptable or didn't catch. It doesn't require deep thought, intense analysis or extensive parsing for hidden meanings. Anyone who knew the history of "This Land is Your Land" would likely instantly catch what Lady Gaga had done. I hadn't given it much further thought until I saw this thread.

I have no idea how many people currently know or care about "This Land is Your Land", however the YouTube video I posted earlier does show that it has been song at protest marches around the country over the last couple of weeks by people of varying ages.
I know I caught what she did. She's protesting private property ownership. Yet, she hasn't given up her own home or million$.

Ponder that...

Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,925,180 times
Quote:

And just maybe you ascribe more intelligence to her than she deserves? Is it possible that she didn't know the history of the song or all of it's past iterations? I mean, it's not like all of these performers are real deep thinkers or Rhodes scholars, just look at the drivel that comes out of their mouths daily when a microphone is shoved in their faces...

Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,251,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No it's not.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Arlo_Guthrie

[My mother] said, "Arlo, I was out in the middle of China. And they brought out these school kids, and they started singing us songs, and they started singing 'This Land is Your Land', and I said 'STOP! Stop the song! My husband wrote that song!" She must have drove them nuts! She was driving me nuts about it! It was weeks after she had got back she hadn't slowed down about it one little bit! And I just looked at her and I said, "You know, mom...California.....to the New York Island. What are they singing it for over there anyhow?" She just looked with one of those Mom kind of looks. She said, "Oh Arlo..." She walked away. I was left standing there feeling like my usual self. I knew she was right, but I just didn't know why. After a while though, it come to me. I could see it, just because it said "California to the New York Island", didn't mean it had to go the short way! I could see it going around back! Redwood Forests, Gulf stream waters, around that way! Then the whole world could be singing that song! Except America.
Talking about the song "This Land is Your Land" which was his father's most famous song, and his mother's trip to China. (Live in Sydney)
Kind of revisionist. Woody Guthrie wrote the song in Feb 1940 in protest of "God Bless America", which immigration crisis would Guthrie have experienced 1930-1940 that he could have used for grist to his creative mill? Where in "God Bless America" is there any references to immigration to be protested?

Arlo Guthrie was his son, and until that moment he didn't know that specific meaning, so clearly the author didn't discuss it with him. So I'm not really ready to part money on the claims made that Guthrie wrote it as an pro-immigration protest song.

Now that's not to say that immigration hasn't been ascribed to the song, but if so it's hardly ubiquitously known. Certainly not as well known as it is as a counter to Irving Berlin's dirge.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And just maybe you ascribe more intelligence to her than she deserves? Is it possible that she didn't know the history of the song or all of it's past iterations? I mean, it's not like all of these performers are real deep thinkers or Rhodes scholars, just look at the drivel that comes out of their mouths daily when a microphone is shoved in their faces...
That. ^ Exactly.

Lady Gaga didn't know the history of the song. Neither did Nancy Pelosi. And both tried to use the song to make specific points, but because they're colossally stupid, both failed spectacularly. /SMH

Note to liberals: Research what you intend to use to make a political statement. Duh.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,565,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Kind of revisionist. Woody Guthrie wrote the song in Feb 1940 in protest of "God Bless America", which immigration crisis would Guthrie have experienced 1930-1940 that he could have used for grist to his creative mill? Where in "God Bless America" is there any references to immigration to be protested?

Arlo Guthrie was his son, and until that moment he didn't know that specific meaning, so clearly the author didn't discuss it with him. So I'm not really ready to part money on the claims made that Guthrie wrote it as an pro-immigration protest song.

Now that's not to say that immigration hasn't been ascribed to the song, but if so it's hardly ubiquitously known. Certainly not as well known as it is as a counter to Irving Berlin's dirge.

1) Arlo Guthrie "is" his son.

2) Arlo was merely talking about what his mother (Woody Guthrie's wife )said in meant and how to look at it.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
1) Arlo Guthrie "is" his son.

2) Arlo was merely talking about what his mother (Woody Guthrie's wife )said in meant and how to look at it.
What do you think "she said it meant?" And why do you believe so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies