Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:34 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Jeremy came out in 1991. Columbine was in 1999. Jeremy is not about something that hadn't even happened yet, and nobody has ever claimed that it is.
Except that they are. Look I'm not an idiot Jeremy is about a school suicide (Jeremy Wade Delle) not a murder suicide or mass shooting, but it's been appropriated by the ignorant as an anthem about school shootings.

What's the article about? Mass shootings in schools, and Jeremy by Pearl Jam. Even says it in the parsed link, "Pearl Jam". Article title is "PEARL JAM’S “JEREMY” AND THE INTRACTABLE CULTURAL SCRIPT OF SCHOOL SHOOTERS". Oh and yes I have heard people who have said Jeremy is about Columbine, one was an intern who asked why I was listening to a song about Columbine when they walked into my office and it was playing.

There you go, in 50 years Jeremy will be culturally about school shootings, just like a Woody Guthrie song written 70 years ago is being claimed as a pro-immigration song, written by a guy raised during the great depression where immigration to the US was insignificant. You're just in early enough to know what it's about, but your not picking up the clear cues of how the songs are being or have been appropriated.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:40 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Conservatives are still angry about Lady Gaga's performance. My Facebook feed is filled with "Lady Gaga is Satan" posts.

Other than performing "Born This Way" in her medley, I don't understand why conservatives have such a huge problem with that performance. It's not like "Born This Way" is a new song either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Conservatives are still angry about Lady Gaga's performance. My Facebook feed is filled with "Lady Gaga is Satan" posts.

Other than performing "Born This Way" in her medley, I don't understand why conservatives have such a huge problem with that performance. It's not like "Born This Way" is a new song either.
I wasn't aware that most or even many conservatives DID have a huge problem with her performance. I personally don't know ANY who said that.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wasn't aware that most or even many conservatives DID have a huge problem with her performance. I personally don't know ANY who said that.
Me neither, the few far righties on my FB feed were thankful she kept politics out of things. I personally find her music to be crappy as hell, but I guess she's a good singer, but whatever, I don't care for that type of music so I just tune that stuff out, but whatever. LOL.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:40 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Everyone I talked to enjoyed her set. I thought she was awesome from beginning to end. I am proud of her. GaGa does it her way that's what makes her great!

Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
What is this Lady GaGa rubbish (apparently named after Queens song Radio Ga Ga), her names is Stefani Germanotta, she comes from a rich family in New York City who lived in the wealthy Upper West Side, to be exact the luxury Pythian apartments at 135 West 70th St. in Lincoln Square which was her childhood home.

She attended the $45,000 a year Convent of the Sacred Heart School in NYC and she went on to hang around in NY and attend the Tisch School of the Arts.

She's currently worth hundreds of millions of dollars and to be honest I couldn't give a toss what her political views are, her life is a million miles away from the average population of the US (or indeed UK) and especially those in areas such as the rust belt or coal mining communities etc, which are the very people who voted for Trump because of their unhappiness with the Liberal Elite, which rather ironically Stefani is part of, but she's too blind to see it.

Trump may have his faults, but lets not pretend that Stefani is some form of peoples prophet, she's just a highly strung media craving, attention seeking celebrity, from a wealthy background and not some kind of political guru or great philosophical genius.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-08-2017 at 05:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It fits what I know about Lady Gaga. I'm, admittedly, a huge fan. She planned that show, chose the songs, picked the costumes, etc.
You "think" or "suppose" you don't know...

Old 02-08-2017, 05:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What is this Lady GaGa rubbish (apparently named after Queens song Radio Ga Ga), her names is Stefani Germanotta, she comes from a rich family in New York City who lived in the wealthy Upper West Side, to be exact the luxury Pythian apartments at 135 West 70th St. in Lincoln Square which was her childhood home.

She attended the $45,000 a year Convent of the Sacred Heart School in NYC and she went on to hang around in NY and attend the Tisch School of the Arts.

She's currently worth hundreds of millions of dollars and to be honest I couldn't give a toss what her political views are, her life is a million miles away from the average population of the US (or indeed UK) and especially those in areas such as the rust belt or coal mining communities etc, which are the very people who voted for Trump because of their unhappiness with the Liberal Elite, which rather ironically Stefani is part of, but she's too blind to see it.

Trump may have his faults, but lets not pretend that Stefani is some form of peoples prophet, she's just a highly strung media craving, attention seeking celebrity, from a wealthy background and not some kind of political guru or great philosophical genius.
You know, given her background and social standing of her parents I'd be shocked if she didn't know Trump and attend functions,events and social gatherings that he had or was at.
That would be an interesting story to dig into...

Old 02-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You know, given her background and social standing of her parents I'd be shocked if she didn't know Trump and attend functions,events and social gatherings that he had or was at.
That would be an interesting story to dig into...

Nothing would surprise me.

Not exactly a working class hero.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Heard one refer to her as Lady Gag Gag. I decided to watch her halftime performance and see for myself if she would make one gag.

Aside from the onslaught of the lights and hoards of other people on stage, I focused on her and her singing.

As far as her singing talent, to me it was meh; however, obviously others enjoy it and that's the way it is, we all have our preferences and tastes in music. One has to wonder if her audience would be as transfixed without the lights and gyrations.

My preference would be sitting in the audience and watching/listening to Johnny Mathis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies