Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Diapers are expensive. When I worked at a convenience store they were one of the most stolen items, along with cigs and baby formula. Most doing the stealing had no kids.
But wait a minute; couldn't Art Adams have been Obama's son? I am sure that, if he feels that can make political hay; that he would toss in his two cents. Where is Loretta Lynch when he needs her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If robbers entered your home and beat you and your wife with baseball bats leaving her in a vegetative state and taking only your television, I certainly hope you'd only want probation for them since they only took your tv.

The story reports the man shot the thugs due to the belief that one thug was grabbing a weapon. It doesn't say anywhere that he shot him to save the diapers.

Can you read?
No, they can't. Their eyes and ears are closed to reason when they are sold an emotional narrative. It doesn't matter how many times you point out the facts of the story that are actually described in the article, or explain the legal and just right of self defense, that snow job title that some unscrupulous person put on the article has them by the feels. Reality cannot illuminate where emotion rules.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:49 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Diapers are expensive. When I worked at a convenience store they were one of the most stolen items, along with cigs and baby formula. Most doing the stealing had no kids.

That's an interesting thing to know. I know, first hand, how expensive an infant is to see to. I guess whatever they get, even if it's under store prices for the stuff. is still 100% profit. Wow. Black market diapers and formula. Helluva side line.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:04 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
A human life vs. a stack of diapers. Yeah. Tough decision.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:09 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
If it was me, I'm letting the jerk run off with the diapers. Sorry - I'm not going to risk my life to save Wal Mart's profits. At the same time I don't have much concern for the guy who lost his life -- that is the risk you take, when crime is how you earn your living.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

That was my initial reaction as well. However as the whole story gets out I'm less sympathetic to that take. Personally, motive means a lot to me. Probably does to most folks. The motive for stealing the diapers, and other things not listed, are far from honorable. They didn't exactly have some infants well being at the heart of their crime. Nor was their violent reaction to being caught motivated by any such concerns.

I can't and won't, use the term "hero" in describing the shooters actions. I find that term over rated and over used. He had intervened, was committed, and did what he had to do. Nothing more ,nothing less. But my initial take is being replaced with one that says the thieves were just ordinary varmints.

As an addendum, a hero is defined as someone who , without regard to their own self, puts themselves in imminent danger to life and limb to save others. This, done in the face of such danger, not the possibility of it, and despite that immediate danger puts themselves in harms way so others may live, and with no thought to personal gain or reward, or elevation of self to any special status or recognition. A true "hero" is humble, and neither wants or feels they should receive such recognition. Rather they would prefer to carry on with their lives and not dwell on what they felt they had to do. As I said, the word is over used, and over rated.

Last edited by NVplumber; 02-07-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 11:20 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If it was me, I'm letting the jerk run off with the diapers. Sorry - I'm not going to risk my life to save Wal Mart's profits. At the same time I don't have much concern for the guy who lost his life -- that is the risk you take, when crime is how you earn your living.
I was in a local liquor store getting some beer after work years ago. The owner was at the counter behind me and some guy was ahead of me in line. He asked for something further down and when she (clerk) went down the aisle this guy ran for the door with two twelvers. The owner took out a revolver and emptied it at the guy and missed 6 times.

As I stood there in disbelief the guy apologized to me and said he'd had enough. The cops didn't do anything when called and he was sick of it.

I never went back.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
its sad but the criminal only has himself to blame... don't break the law this does not happen

Old 02-07-2017, 11:35 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The life of a SHOPLIFTER, for what that is worth.......

Old 02-07-2017, 11:49 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That's an interesting thing to know. I know, first hand, how expensive an infant is to see to. I guess whatever they get, even if it's under store prices for the stuff. is still 100% profit. Wow. Black market diapers and formula. Helluva side line.
I am not certain about these days, but yes this was a common tactic. The rule of thumb was always go for items that will move the quickest, car stereos and jewelry are a harder sell than daily staples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies