U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:29 PM

34,935 posts, read 31,961,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
When I was in my mid 20s, the shop I worked in had a McDonalds right behind. One day, a woman wandered into the area, just aimless, walking around with no specific reason. Then,she walked up to the front windows of McDonalds and put five rounds from a 38 snubby through the glass. I was out at my truck in our parking area and saw the whole thing. I grabbed my pistol from under my seat, and went to red alert. I was only about 15-20 yards away with nothing in between.

I yelled for her to drop the weapon , and put her hands up. She just looked at me with this beatific smile and stood there, putting her hands in the front pouch of her sweat jacket,( where the gun was) and stood there. She then just let me approach and I took the gun, which was empty, and I backed off shaking like a dog s****ing peach seeds. I could have easily as shot her when she put her hands in her sweat jacket pouch, something told me not to. The cops were only minutes in getting there and the damn newsies weren't far behind.

Turns out she was a just released mental patient, cut loose from Galletie only scant hours before. Totally out of her gourd and had zero clue as to what she had done. No idea where she got the gun. Some customers and one of the restaurant managers restrained her,(though she didn't resist at all) and the cops put her in custody. They asked me why I didn't shoot her, I couldn't answer to that. I could have, maybe I should have...but I didn't and I didn't need to. I'm thankful to this day that I didn't. I still don't truly understand why. There was just something that didn't sit right, and I had got a look at her gun, I mentally ticked off five rounds when she opened up, and knew she was (probably) empty and hadn't tried to reload.

If she had actually pulled out the gun when she went to her pocket I probably would have shot her. But she didn't. I didn't see or feel a real threat. It was truly very weird. This was around 88-89. I was a very different person back then. Not near as restrained and in control of myself as I am now. So the guy in the story at issue here felt he needed to use his gun. Had I been in his shoes I may have done the same. Something told him to defend himself. I can't and won't argue with instinct. It tells us many things. His told him he was in anger of serious harm. And he listened to it. I know how that feels.

Wow, good on you. I used to have a ccw before we got this knucklehead sheriff. Not long after everyone lost their licenses we were at a company party downtown and this one guy wouldn't leave of the girls alone in our group. One of the guys told him to F off, that the girl was drunk and we were responsible for her. As we were leaving the guy ran up to our car and put a .25 acp back and forth to everyone's head talking smack. The girls were freaking (I was too) but I guess we had enough liquor in us not to show it and we talked him down. When he walked to his truck we floored it and told security who locked us in with this nutjob.
Turns out he was an off duty security guard for the place. I'm not sure what he finally got but man oh man did I feel naked sitting in that car with a weapon to my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 PM

3,021 posts, read 936,392 times
Another point to take into consideration, is that this location is a known perilous area:

Intersection: Orange County Sheriff Cracks Down On Pine Hills Crime - Intersection - Local News - 90.7 WMFE
Quote:
A spate of killings in Pine Hills last year prompted the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and the Orlando Police Department to launch Operation RISE, beefing up law enforcement patrols in the area.
Orlando police officer shot dead near Walmart, manhunt for gunman - NY Daily News
Quote:
Orlando police officer shot dead near Walmart

http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/arc...rlando-tonight
Quote:
The international activist movement Black Lives Matter will hold a protest in downtown Orlando tonight.
The protest will happen at Lake Eola at 6 p.m.

According to the event's Facebook page, protestors hope to raise awareness of what they call a general "lack of security" that is being felt throughout the Pine Hills community.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:39 PM

Reward offered for information on 3rd suspect in Walmart theft that led to fatal shooting

Reward offered for information on 3rd suspect in Walmart theft that led to fatal shooting | WFTV

Quote:
A $5,000 reward is being offered for information on the third person involved in a diaper theft that led to a fatal shooting of another suspect at an Orange County Walmart store.

Deputies said a Walmart customer opened fire on Saturday morning on shoplifters who were stealing diapers from the store in the 5500 block of Clarcona Ocoee Road.

The gunman told investigators he fired because he thought one of the shoplifters was reaching for a weapon.

The alleged shooter was identified as a 50-year-old black male, and deputies said it will be up to the state attorney’s office as to whether he will face charges.

The man was not a member of law enforcement. Deputies have not said if he was legally able to carry a weapon.

Deputies said he was stepping in to help a Walmart employee who was confronting the suspects outside the store.

A second victim, only identified as a juvenile female, was hit in the leg, deputies said.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office learned about the girl hours after the shooting when she went to the hospital for treatment.

She is considered a witness in the case, deputies said.

A third person believed to have participated in the attempted shoplifting is still on the loose, deputies said.

Witness Renee Kirmani told Channel 9 she saw the three individuals pushing carts filled with diapers and other baby items to a car in the parking lot as a Walmart employee chased after them.

"I see them surrounding the car (and) the boys throwing stuff in," she said. "(The employee) was like, 'Don't get in the car.'"

Kirmani said she was too busy taking cover to see the shooting take place.

"That I didn't see," she said. "I heard shots and then we just ducked down, because we didn't know where the shots were going."

Orange County Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Angelo Nieves said the suspects got into the maroon Nissan Rogue and fled the scene. The Nissan was reported stolen during a carjacking on Jan. 13, deputies said.

Deputies said the driver of the Nissan hit two vehicles in the parking lot, causing one of the cars to spin, and everyone in the vehicle fled.

The suspect who was shot was found at a nearby Citgo gas station and was taken to the hospital where he died, authorities said.

Deputies said the investigation is ongoing and the witness who opened fire is cooperating with the investigation.

Workers at the Citgo told Channel 9 the injured suspect walked in and fell to the floor. They said they could tell he was shot multiple times in the leg and stomach.

Deputies said Adams is a known gang member and had been arrested 15 times. He was convicted of four felonies.

His friend, Naynay Porter, said Adams was a good person and should not have died that way.

“No mother should have to bury their kid,” she said. “He’s done some things in his past he (isn’t) proud of, but he didn’t have to die how he died.”

Deputies are interviewing witnesses and going through surveillance video to see if the suspects were armed.

Channel 9 contacted Walmart to learn about the company’s loss prevention policy, but the company declined to comment.

Statement from Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings:

"The Orange County Sheriff's Office detectives have been working with Walmart representatives and interviewing witnesses to determine the facts in the weekend shooting at the Wal-Mart store. The investigation is ongoing and we ask the community not to rush to judgement. The case will be presented to the State Attorney for review and appropriate charges will be determined for all involved. The use of deadly force will be evaluated based on law and the right to protect one's self or others from great bodily harm or death."

Old 02-07-2017, 09:44 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,266,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But it is your business. The more that is stolen from your favorite stores; the more you pay for those items - somebody always pays. It isn't only that; but the day is coming where you never get to see the products you want to buy. Many businesses are now out of business or going out of business because of increased operating cost and the up and coming online competition.

I personally like to see what I am buying. I like to look at the product and make a judgement on it's worth. It is a pain to return items that do not meet my expectations. On the other hand many are willing to buy sight unseen from the sales numbers. I have to wonder where the 'smash and grab' crowds will go when there are no stores to smash and grab from?
Yes, I understand the more items are stolen, the more items cost to account for shrink. However, it's still none of my business. If I see someone shoplifting, I'll report it to the store. But it's not my job or place to stop a shoplifter.

Idiot drivers cause high car insurance rates, but it's still not my job to police them.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:36 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,695,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
People who support theft of others don't like the idea of there being lethal consequences. Considering that is the progressive platform, it is no wonder they call thieves victims and openly seek to disarm the public. Criminals do not care for an armed populace.
People who support murder don't like having their guns taking away as well. See, I can play that game too. Two ppl committed a crime at Walmart. It's up to a sane society to decide, which they'd rather have thieves or ppl running around with guns killing indiscriminately.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
People who support murder don't like having their guns taking away as well. See, I can play that game too. Two ppl committed a crime at Walmart. It's up to a sane society to decide, which they'd rather have thieves or ppl running around with guns killing indiscriminately.
Your argument is based on a false premise according to the information given.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 AM

29,044 posts, read 15,304,746 times
"He was a good person."

When do good people get arrested 15 times with 4 being felonies and driving a carjacked car?

This was a thug.

I bet this thug said something that made the good samaritan feel that he was exceptionally dangerous.

If the Good Samaritan was trying to assist the employee with shoplifters having no intention of using his gun, but then the thug said, "I'm about to smoke both of you m**********rs, prepare to die!" and the makes a motion that would be consistent with getting a weapon, I can see why he would begin shooting.

The car was reported as carjacked not merely stolen.

I'm guessing this thug got exactly what he deserved.

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 02-08-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 06:58 AM

29,044 posts, read 15,304,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Nobody was killed indiscriminately. According to the story, there was a specific reason he was shot.

Do you know what indiscriminately means? Apparently not.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:02 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,695,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But it is your business. The more that is stolen from your favorite stores; the more you pay for those items - somebody always pays. It isn't only that; but the day is coming where you never get to see the products you want to buy. Many businesses are now out of business or going out of business because of increased operating cost and the up and coming online competition.

I personally like to see what I am buying. I like to look at the product and make a judgement on it's worth. It is a pain to return items that do not meet my expectations. On the other hand many are willing to buy sight unseen from the sales numbers. I have to wonder where the 'smash and grab' crowds will go when there are no stores to smash and grab from?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 AM

34,935 posts, read 31,961,540 times
The title of this thread needs to be changed to carjacking felon's crime spree ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or