U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:08 AM

66,173 posts, read 33,593,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"Right to work" is a joke. In plain English what it really means is "Right to work at a job for less pay."

Subcontracting in construction, is more profitable and more rewarding than any union hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 08:25 AM

9,734 posts, read 8,005,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The next 5 are all RTW (11 to 15) and include Texas.

Unemployment: Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney
July 2014? Good grief.

the point is it is largely irrelevant. Not that it is good or bad.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:28 AM

9,734 posts, read 8,005,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Subcontracting in construction, is more profitable and more rewarding than any union hire.
I know some union trades that would argue that one. Anyway...

LOL. Friend of a friend. Rich dude. runs a decent sized steel sub.

The name of his BIG yacht?

CHANGE ORDER

Old 02-09-2017, 08:28 AM

21,293 posts, read 11,522,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Teachers union took my money..Never did one thing for me..Supported liberal causes to my objection..And allowed those who should have been fired to remain

Unions were necessary when the world was not safe for the American worker

Today bloated by cronyism and corruption they have harmed the American worker

Unionize if the workers want to and can..Don't be forced to do so
I have no idea why college educated, white collar teachers are union. And besides that they are covered by civil servant rights aren't they?

They retire at 55 years old and become professional activists from what I can tell.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:30 PM

119 posts, read 156,215 times
Default Illogical Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
At last Missouri can actually have workers that aren't forced into unions nor to pay for union donations that line the pockets of democrats. With another right to work state, Missouri workers will be able to keep more of their money vs. Paying the union fees of $1/hr. Good day for Missouri and Missouri workers.

Missouri Governor Signs Right-To-Work Bill Passed By GOP Legislature | The Huffington Post
Gee, you hate unions! Ever wonder why people in places like Florida, are **** poor? It's because they are "right to work states". I moved here twenty years ago, because my father talked me into it. " It would be nice to have you around". To my surprise, doing the same type of back breaking work, I did up in Washington State, I found myself getting paid less than half of what I was making. That and my work load was twice as much. That's a "right to work" state for you. There is no such thing as being "made to pay union dues" unless you are in a union job. And if you are lucky enough to be in one, you are probably making at least twice as much as anyone else. Your logic, is totally illogical! Beam me up Scotty!

Just FYI I cam upon this thread while looking for things about Maine!

Old 02-11-2017, 05:33 PM

119 posts, read 156,215 times
Default Lucky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I spent several of my working life years working in a "right to work" state.
I was paid better (as compared to the cost of living), and treated just as well (if not better) by my employer, as I had been in a compulsory union membership state, and didn't have to give two hours' pay to the union every month.
I also did not have to put up with shop stewards filing grievances at the drop of a hat!
Then you were very lucky my friend! Most people working in "right to work" states, barely make enough to get by. Many have to work two jobs just to do so. I live in one of those states, and I regret every having moved here!

Old 02-11-2017, 05:40 PM

7,479 posts, read 5,767,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The GOP has succeeded in union busting yet another state. Workers will no longer have representation. They will be on their own which means you either accept the pay/benefits/conditions at your job or you quit. This means lower wages and fewer benefits for some workers in Missouri - especially blue collar workers.

Companies in Missouri won. Workers lost. The GOP is on the side of the companies.
The problem is many-fold.

I feel NOBODY should be forced to join a union. A union, like anything else, should have to compete and prove that it is providing a service. If lots of people think it is, the union will survive and the workers will benefit. If the union, however, is just a bunch of crooks, the workers won't have to join and the union will die. On the other hand, NOBODY should be forbidden from creating or joining a union; they wouldn't consider such an action unless working conditions were terrible.

It's not as black and white as some people pretend it is. Unions helped us gain the standards of living we have today, and don't kid yourself for a moment if you think Big Business wouldn't like to take us back to the "good old days" of 6 to 7 day work weeks, insanely long hours, no workplace safety, child labor, etc. Republicans will cry foul on that statement, but as they so often like to remind us "bleeding heart liberals" - the only purpose of a corporation is to make as much money as possible. Removing worker protections would certainly help in that area.

On the flip side, most modern unions are utter jokes. They have little to no real power, and spend most of their time protected marginally qualified, ancient employees while crushing younger ones who want to improve their skills. I've worked with enough union people to know how this goes, and it is insanity. The union ends up destroying their own reputation and making life harder for their workers, all so they can collect a fee and strut around with a tiny bit of meaningless power.

Finally, the claim that "unions are the death of American industry" is simply inaccurate. Less than 15% of the entire workforce is in a union these days, and the numbers fall every day. The "real problem" is that Americans expect to be paid a living wage for a 1st world nation and expect a level of workplace safety and basic workers rights. Those things get in the way of the Big Business goal of maximizing profit at all cost. So, somewhere along the line, it became fashionable to pin the blame on "the unions." And while modern unions are heavily flawed, the CONCEPT is sound - it's just the current implementation that is a disgrace.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:46 PM

5,028 posts, read 2,202,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"Right to work" is a joke. In plain English what it really means is "Right to work at a job for less pay."

This^

Old 02-11-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
At will allows firing at any time. The entire USA is at will.
RTW just avoids forced unionization of individuals.

not true. In almost all union situations the conditions for an employee to be fired is usually set by a collective bargaining agreement.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Unions only exist to keep the incompetent and lazy employed. That description includes the Business Managers and Union Reps all the way up to Union leaders by the way.

Unions started out with a noble mission and did it well for years until crooks and greedy, corrupt thieves found out it makes a good home FOR THEM.
Now despite many attempts to clean them up they still can't seem to shake their old habits of being thugs,crooks and cheats lining THEIR and their friends pockets on the backs of honest workers.
They've stood up for such noble workers as those UAW dope smoking line workers, no show jobs, no work sit on your butt playing cards jobs, looted pension funds,back door dispatching for bribes, pay to play etc etc etc.

So yeah, their time has long passed...

I spent 37 years in the BMWE...........the union I was in literally saved lives..........They were the opposite of what you describe............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or