U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM

36,470 posts, read 15,977,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
Then you were very lucky my friend! Most people working in "right to work" states, barely make enough to get by. Many have to work two jobs just to do so. I live in one of those states, and I regret every having moved here!
" Most people working in "right to work" states,"

How many "right to work" state have you lived and worked in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 11:51 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,714,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
And while modern unions are heavily flawed, the CONCEPT is sound - it's just the current implementation that is a disgrace.
People are speaking too broadly. There are many different kinds of unions in many different kinds of industries. Not all are affiliated with the AFL-CIO, like the UE or United Electrical Radio and Machine Workers. I've heard nothing but good things from the members of that Union, but they are small. But maybe without the backing of the AFL CIO their Union reps take their jobs more seriously.

I know in my Union some Locals are better than others at representing their members. Some are true worker advocates, while others are indifferent at best, while some others are almost "company unions", in the pockets of the contractors and hostile towards members standing up for their rights and privileges.

Informed unionists know the history and the flaws of organized labor. They wrote the book on it.

So the things they say about the Teamsters Union? A lot of it is true. Jimmy Hoffa exploited Teamster members, but there has always been an insurgency against him, and still is today. They almost won enough votes to expel his son from leadership.

Quote:
For the first time in nearly two decades, reformers have won seats on the Teamsters’ international executive board—and come within a hair’s breadth of unseating the incumbent administration led by President James P. Hoffa.
The Teamsters United coalition slate, headed by Local 89 President Fred Zuckerman and backed by the longtime reform group Teamsters for a Democratic Union, contested all 12 at-large seats and nine of the 15 regional seats. They ran on a platform of refusing concessions, reviving contract enforcement, defending pensions, rooting out corruption, and organizing in the union’s core industries.
The challengers scored 49 percent of the vote. A swing of about 3,000 votes would have put new leaders in charge of the union.
In Election Squeaker, Teamsters United Nearly Topples Hoffa | Labor Notes

Some people are surprised about the amount of conservative and republicans that are in some unions, but the fact of the matter is, kitchen table economics make the union wages, benefits, and retirement a realistic option for any working person.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:47 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I spent 37 years in the BMWE...........the union I was in literally saved lives..........They were the opposite of what you describe............
So, you're saying that the actual union officers/reps/BA's left their offices and performed some kind of work totally paid for by said union that saved lives or do you mean the workers who were in the union did?

Old 02-12-2017, 03:20 PM

17,027 posts, read 9,522,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I spent several of my working life years working in a "right to work" state.
I was paid better (as compared to the cost of living), and treated just as well (if not better) by my employer, as I had been in a compulsory union membership state, and didn't have to give two hours' pay to the union every month.
I also did not have to put up with shop stewards filing grievances at the drop of a hat!

Same here, Electrician, and make as much or more than most Union Members as well as my employment being consistent.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 AM

5,028 posts, read 2,202,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, you're saying that the actual union officers/reps/BA's left their offices and performed some kind of work totally paid for by said union that saved lives or do you mean the workers who were in the union did?

Our union officers were all elected by the general membership. Over the span of my time there those union officers forced the company and the FRA to Change and introduce new work rules that stopped getting workers killed. Without the threat of our full membership going on strike one of them would not have been introduced. Every officer of our union at one time was a rank and file working member of the union.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:06 AM

3,694 posts, read 3,275,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post

Some people are surprised about the amount of conservative and republicans that are in some unions, but the fact of the matter is, kitchen table economics make the union wages, benefits, and retirement a realistic option for any working person.
And THAT is a complicated issue. The best example I can give is back in 2012 with Obama re-election. Irregardless of how one feels about the Keystone XL pipeline, the fact is that at that time the contract's had been let to a consortium of three of the largest UNION pipeline contractors in the country. The contract called for 10 different "spreads" each of which would employ just in the construction trades alone over 1000 working people. Over 10K union members with employment at very good wages and benefits. The union's were salivating. And Obama knew this. The PAC's for the union were in full go mode. Every week, wanting more and more donations for his re-election. At the same time, he's taking millions from those fighting against it. Lining his pockets with election funds from both sides. Now why had Trans-Canada went with that consortium. That's easy. Because those contractor's have the most qualified tradesmen, the best trained and the most experience. And while we see the non-union contractors making strides in an upward direction, they are not quite there yet. With that being said, the gap is nowhere near where it used to be but I digress.

So what happens after the election.... even members of some of the unions involved themselves start protesting against the project. Not all locals are created equal. Those same members who push "brother-hood" above all else could have cared less what happened to their own brothers. The union survived but same couldn't be said about some of the members. They are literally starving to death. Push forward to last week.... It's happening again. Even death threats coming from some of the "brothers" because so-and-so voted for Trump. Yet, the first thing they do is start harping on how DAPL (which was being done by another Union contractor) shouldn't be finished, once again putting members out of work.

I honestly believe that a person who goes to work for a union shop should pay their dues. It's a small price to pay for the benefits and the representation so I hate to see any state go RTW. And no fence jumping.. if you're a union tradesmen don't work non-union. And I truly believe the Bacon-Davis should stand (and to me it's the larger issue). And the folks I feel the most sorry for is the union members themselves. They are pawns in nothing more than a large chess game between the politicians and the union leadership which has become it's own worst enemy. The members are damned if they do, damned if they don't. This really could be an easy fix if both sides decided to do what is right and go with compromise instead of grabbing for absolute power.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 AM

18,683 posts, read 6,736,892 times
Right to work is more like right to starve

Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,746,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Teachers union took my money..Never did one thing for me..Supported liberal causes to my objection..And allowed those who should have been fired to remain

Unions were necessary when the world was not safe for the American worker

Today bloated by cronyism and corruption they have harmed the American worker

Unionize if the workers want to and can..Don't be forced to do so
The teacher's union is strong enough to make it possible for you guys to get out of having to be drug tested...

Why in the work would the people who teach our children; the future of America, object so much to drug testing? We all have to pee to get hired and then are up for random drug testing whenever the feeling strikes management.

But the public school teachers don't have to. I know a couple of teachers and let me tell you if they were drug tested they would no longer have a job. Talk about cronyism and corruption. They do more then you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or