U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM

10,931 posts, read 4,978,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
All I hear is how they are fighting for illegals to stay here and how much they love Muslim refugees .
I'm concerned but am waiting to learn more about his potential policies. Some of the stuff (such as renegotiating some trade deals) I don't think are necesarilly bad ideas. So I'm a bit supportive there.

Other ideas, like having us pay for the stupid (useless and unnecessary) wall, I'm very much less thrilled about. Of course Mexico isn't going to pay for this! I doubt it'll happen, though.

I also have serious doubts that they (Trump and Congress) can come up with a replacement to the ACA that works as well as they think it will (let's just say I have a good amount of knowledge about how the industry works...). But I'm willing to give Congress' ideas a chance there. That said, I think Trump really doesn't fully understand how complicated this is...there are a lot of moving parts.

I'm very concerned about his policies relating to:
  • public land use (converting public lands into private land...booo!!!),
  • environmental protection regulation dismantling (no, I don't think it's a good idea for coal manufacturers to dump their waste into rivers...we deserve clean water!),
  • fossil fuel extraction - I don't think it's a good idea to go so hard in on fossil fuels when we should be working our way towards true (TRUE) energy independence (you know, from all fossil fuels...as they are finite and will be gone very soon).

And I'm very much concerned that he has appointed so many Wall Street insiders to his administration. I also don't approve of the roll back on financial regulations - we should really remember what got us into 2008 (and the resulting recession) in the first place. These regulations were put in place to prevent that from happening again.

Ultimately, I worry that Trump and his cronies are going to sell out the American people. There is A LOT of money to be made by these people being in their positions of power, and that scares me...given the choice between doing right by all American people or choosing what is right for their pocketbooks...We should all be concerned about this. Liberals, Conservatives, Coasters, Midwesterners, Southerners...

Basically anyone that doesn't have a direct connection to one of these people's businesses should be concerned and at least VERY skeptical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,381,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Liberals I know are always talking about the economy....
Where were they the last 8 years?

When the Debt went from 10 Trillion (with a T) to 20 Trillion (with a T)....and all we've got to show for it is 683 McJobs & 226 thousand Obama Phones.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,822,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
We don't argue stupid points like you conservatives do.

Illegals and refugees constitute less than 5% of the entire population. You think they're hurting the economy? Give me a break. It's your Exxon Mobile CEO and Goldman Sachs friends running the federal government that needs to be ousted and heavily taxed. I dare say it, return to the tax rates pre-Reagan. Tax the richest of the richest 80%+ to remove their influence due to their irresponsibility and in response lower everyone else's taxes, provide healthcare, education, and build infrastructure.

There isn't enough money at the top, it will be the middle class who suffer under your scenario.

Regarding liberals and the economy they're more concerned with re-distribution of wealth (as shown above) then real economic growth.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM

10,931 posts, read 4,978,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
There isn't enough money at the top, it will be the middle class who suffer under your scenario.

Regarding liberals and the economy they're more concerned with re-distribution of wealth (as shown above) then real economic growth.
Are you sure about that? Income inequality is one of the worst problems facing our nation. The amount of money concentrated at the top is astronomical.

Obviously we can't just 'take money away' from these people, but we do have to get serious about how to deal with this issue.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:07 PM

4,491 posts, read 1,650,835 times
Of course they talk about the economy. If you really don't here this, you're either lying or politically inactive. Which ever, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:09 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,822,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Are you sure about that? Income inequality is one of the worst problems facing our nation.
The holy graille of the 1% that the far left hates so much doesn't have enough money to pay for the rest of us.
We do know however that the top half of income earners essentially pay all of the income tax at the Federal Level.

The share of income earned by the top 1 percent of taxpayers fell to 19.0 percent in 2013. Their share of federal income taxes fell slightly to 37.8 percent.
In 2012, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers (69.2 million filers) paid 97.2 percent of all income taxes while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 2.8 percent.
The top 1 percent (1.3 million filers) paid a greater share of income taxes (37.8 percent) than the bottom 90 percent (124.5 million filers) combined (30.2 percent).

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-la...a-2015-update/

Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM

21,954 posts, read 9,322,902 times
Did you miss the election? The point liberals and Obama constantly made is that the economy is ok. It is Trump and his following that insist we are living in a Road Warrior Apocalyptic Wasteland.

All the liberals I know are fully employed and doing fine, so what's to talk about?

BTW, have we heard Trump talking about the economy lately? Any of those EOs he is signing and holding up for the camera for the 4.0 GDP economy he promised?

Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,245,135 times
I don't know about you folks, but the economy is great where I live.
Bay Area economy outpaces U.S., China - San Francisco Chronicle

So no, I'm not talking about.
I'd like less regulation and for the federal govt to cut corporate taxes to 0%, but that's a different story.

Everything is fine...Trump's description of the "carnage" in America must be a joke, cause I don't see it

Old 02-06-2017, 04:14 PM

13,455 posts, read 5,427,956 times
Liberals want to destroy the economy to get people on welfare.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:16 PM

2,716 posts, read 1,164,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post

Statistics says otherwise. There's plenty of money to go around to be taxed.

1 interesting fact you didn't know: the richest people earn most of their income via capital gains, contrary to what conservatives believes, they did not work for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Are any liberals talking about the economy ?-us_wealth_inequality_-_v2.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or