U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 AM

11,466 posts, read 3,919,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What sexist and racist behaviour are you referring to? And don't say "are you kidding?" because that is a dodge.

The travel ban will be lifted when we can find out how to properly vet people from nations that have no way to vet these people themselves.

Why don't you leave that for the two of them to decide this.

I read about this in the British online papers. The comments section overwhelmingly agreed that this was harmless advice to her.
I suggest you go back and re-read the thread, especially in relation to Prince Charles's former wife thePrincess of Wales who is the mother of the future King.

Trump joked about her death on the Howard Stern show in 1997, and even said he could have nailed her (had sex with her).

Donald Trump 'claimed he could have had sex with Princess Diana' in interview months after her death | The Independent

As for the photos of Kate Middleton on a Private Beach, the Court Case involving Six Journalists will commence later this year, so unlike Trump I have little to say on the matter.

Prince Harry has already made clear his dislike for Trump, whilst I shouldn't think Prince William the husband of Kate Middleton (Dutchess of Cambridge) thinks much of him either.

If anything is said about Melanie Trump then lawyers and lawsuits are abound (Daily Mail being the latest), but Trump feels he can say what he likes and Tweet what he likes with impunity.

As for the Locker Room Talk Tapes, the least said the better, and the same applies to a lot of other Trump comments ans actions.

Whilst in terms of any meeting with Prince Charles, Trump and his advisors are the ones who don't want a meeting, as Prince Charles is very critical of Trump.

All the reasons why Donald Trump's state visit could be very awkward | The Independent

Donald Trump's tweet about Kate Middleton's topless photos could make state visit with Queen very awkward | The Independent

Trump to 'avoid Charles on UK visit over climate change' | Daily Mail Online

Of course such issues are beyond the remit of politicians in the UK and the Queen (and indeed the rest of the Royal Family) is perfectly entitled to state that she does not want to meet with Mr Trump.

Will The Queen cancel her visit with Donald Trump over the #MuslimBan? – Royal Central

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-08-2017 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,284,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That is fine with them, when you have an in your face president who at times tries too hard to be "politically incorrect" you can't expect everyone to like him and what he stands for.
John Bercrow doesn't speak for everyone in Britain.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 AM

5,664 posts, read 3,178,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Still crying I see. Get over it. You backed a loser and lost the election. DT is the POTUS and all your butt-hurt whining isn't going to change that fact.
You sound like an adolescent.

I shouldn't say that, actually. It's an insult to my 3 very bright teenagers.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:58 AM

5,664 posts, read 3,178,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The again it's been suggested in a number of newspapers including The Guardia that Trump doesn't care about making a speech to the UK Parliament, indeed UK officials believe Donald Trump wants pomp and circumstance but does not want to risk embarrassment of possible boycotts by MPs.

US president 'doesn't care about making a speech' on UK state visit - The Guardian

Donald Trump ‘doesn’t care about talking to Parliament,’ wants pomp & bling on state visit
Bingo!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:17 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,823,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Is that all you've got? No, I'm not whining at all. I agree, he is the President. I was only pointing out a fact. Theresa May invited him, but that doesn't mean everyone is happy about it. I was responding to a post indicating that, when/if Trump addresses the Parliament, it will prove this to be false. We've invited many controversial world leaders to the White House.

Being somewhat familiar with politics in UK, having lived there relatively recently, I would suggest they have a bit work to do with regard to getting their own house in order, before worrying themselves about the US, or rest of the world. The UK is politically, in a shambles. The BREXIT vote divided their country more than our recent election did ours. The UK is rapidly approaching a point where they will have to make some significant changes, or stare into the face of austerity measures as other European countries have done. The key thing many Americans miss about the BREXIT vote is what it meant to many Britons. Sure, one of the reasons for the support for BREXIT was to not have economic policy dictated to the UK by the EU, which would obviously not be in the UK's best interest. The reason for the divisiveness lies with the personal motivations involved in those supporting, and those opposing BREXIT. Those opposing are the dependent class. Those that have grown dependent on government providing for their basic existence. Those that rely entirely on the National Health Service (NHS) for free medical care. Whereas, those that have made the personal choice to purchase additional insurance, and receive higher quality care, are less reliant on the NHS alone, and don't rely solely on government to provide for their existence. The dependent class in the UK sees the BREXIT vote as a threat to their status quo. They see severing to ties to central EU parliament, and the collective thinking of the broad group of social democracies as a possible threat to their cradle to grave system.

For those that tout the NHS as a role model system, or as a goal for the US to aspire to, I would say that they have obviously never received care via the NHS. My family and I have, and it leaves much to the be desired. There are not only wait times for elective surgeries, there are wait times for required surgeries as well. A family friend had to wait nearly three years for orthodontia due to a lack of providers. The NHS has been operating in the red for decades. The system is simply financially unsustainable. The quality of care is poor, the facilities are poor, rationing of care is a stark reality.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Being somewhat familiar with politics in UK, having lived there relatively recently, I would suggest they have a bit work to do with regard to getting their own house in order, before worrying themselves about the US, or rest of the world. The UK is politically, in a shambles. The BREXIT vote divided their country more than our recent election did ours. The UK is rapidly approaching a point where they will have to make some significant changes, or stare into the face of austerity measures as other European countries have done. The key thing many Americans miss about the BREXIT vote is what it meant to many Britons. Sure, one of the reasons for the support for BREXIT was to not have economic policy dictated to the UK by the EU, which would obviously not be in the UK's best interest. The reason for the divisiveness lies with the personal motivations involved in those supporting, and those opposing BREXIT. Those opposing are the dependent class. Those that have grown dependent on government providing for their basic existence. Those that rely entirely on the National Health Service (NHS) for free medical care. Whereas, those that have made the personal choice to purchase additional insurance, and receive higher quality care, are less reliant on the NHS alone, and don't rely solely on government to provide for their existence. The dependent class in the UK sees the BREXIT vote as a threat to their status quo. They see severing to ties to central EU parliament, and the collective thinking of the broad group of social democracies as a possible threat to their cradle to grave system.

For those that tout the NHS as a role model system, or as a goal for the US to aspire to, I would say that they have obviously never received care via the NHS. My family and I have, and it leaves much to the be desired. There are not only wait times for elective surgeries, there are wait times for required surgeries as well. A family friend had to wait nearly three years for orthodontia due to a lack of providers. The NHS has been operating in the red for decades. The system is simply financially unsustainable. The quality of care is poor, the facilities are poor, rationing of care is a stark reality.
Actually the vote for Brexit was most apparent in many traditional working class areas.

Whilat the NHS may not be perfect it does offer universal healthcare which is better than no healthcare, and many services in the NHS are very good, whilst in terms of beng finacially unsustainable you need look no further than the US System, the most grossly expensive and least efficient system anywhere.

The NHS is not unsustainable, it is one of the most efficient and afforable systems anywhere given it's universal coverage, and there are studies being undertaken in relation to new funding, such as increases in National Insurance by a couple of pence (an NHS Tax) and increased Social Care provision to allow more beds to be freed up, this is the sensible way forward in relation to the future of the NHS.

More than half of British people support raising National Insurance to fund the NHS, says new poll | The Independent

Half the public back a national NHS tax | News Article | Pulse Today

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-08-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 AM

1,925 posts, read 931,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I read about this in the British online papers. The comments section (submitted by Brits!) overwhelmingly agreed that this was harmless advice to her and any intelligent person who read what he said would agree
I did not about the tweet until now so I went to twitter and read the tweet. Come on, stop blowing it up. I thought it was a very crude remark but it was not derogatory. I would not have said that in public but I can think of many more things other presidents have said that is more derogatory, especially Bill Clinton. And I like that man, too.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:04 AM

1,925 posts, read 931,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Prince Harry has already made clear his dislike for Trump, whilst I shouldn't think Prince William the husband of Kate Middleton (Dutchess of Cambridge) thinks much of him either.
Is Prince Harry even of any importance. The same Prince Harry who was partying around naked in a Las Vegas room has suddenly become a Statesman

Spoiler
http://www.eonline.com/news/340478/prince-harry-naked-vegas-photos-anatomy-of-a-royal-scandal

I think Trump should not do a UK visit, State visit or not and just be at home to solve the problems here in USA.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Is Prince Harry even of any importance. The same Prince Harry who was partying around naked in a Las Vegas room has suddenly become a Statesman

Spoiler
http://www.eonline.com/news/340478/prince-harry-naked-vegas-photos-anatomy-of-a-royal-scandal

I think Trump should not do a UK visit, State visit or not and just be at home to solve the problems here in USA.
Prince Harry actually did two tours in Afghanistan as an Army Officer which is more than Trump has ever done.

He's also very close to his father, the future King and his brother who is also in line to be King.

Harry like many young men did get involved in high jinx and letting off some steam, but he is now older and wiser. Whilst the photos were inappriopriate, he does not hold political office and the photos were actually private.

In terms of the Kate Middleton case, those photos breached privacy and the Court Case will commence later this year.

I also refer you back to my previous post about Trump's comments regarding nailing Prince Harry's and Prince William dead mother on the Howard Stern Radio Show shortly after she was tragically killed in a car crash.

Do you really think Harry or William like Trump, would you if that was your dead mother.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-08-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 08:18 AM

37,972 posts, read 14,807,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
.. The reason for the divisiveness lies with the personal motivations involved in those supporting, and those opposing BREXIT. Those opposing are the dependent class. Those that have grown dependent on government providing for their basic existence. ...
According to demographic data, you have this exactly backwards.

The lower-income, lower-educated areas were the areas that voted to leave, i.e supported Brexit.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-union/488780/

"Report from the Centre for Social Justice and Legatum Institute found that people in the “AB” class – the middle and upper classes - were the only group which had a majority voting to Remain at the June 23 referendum. "

"At every level of earning there is a direct correlation between household income and your likelihood to vote for leaving the EU — 62 per cent of those with income of less than £20,000 voted to leave, but that percentage falls in steady increments until, by an income of £60,000, that percentage was just 35 per cent."

Britain's ruling classes were only group to vote to stay in the EU at referendum, major new report finds

A friend who was traveling back and forth to Scotland at the time, reported that London buses had signs on them about how Brexit would mean EU millions would be put into NHS.

There was a lot of "hyperbole" spread around about how immigrants were taking their jobs and so forth.

The "dependent class" definitely voted their support for Brexit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or