U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 AM

1,478 posts, read 550,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Take EVERYTHING you read in the Politics forum with a grain of thought. The vast majority of Americans, conservative or liberal, are not filled with the hate you encounter here. People use these forums to vent. I am very liberal. I live in a very conservative county in Texas. I am gay, pro choice, pro environmental, support safe harbor for refugees, you name it, I am on the opposite side of values with the vast majority of my neighbors and although I don't flaunt my opinions, when asked, I am honest. I have NEVER encountered hostility like I read on this site. Hell, my partner and I are invited to neighborhood get togethers and enjoy everyone's company. In this red county in a red state, we are treated with warmth and respect. Does that sound like the posts you read here? I'm sure there are exceptions. Guns are a most controversial topic here so you avoid inflaming passions on that issue. But wherever I have lived in the U.S., I have never experienced hostility like what I read here. This is a plaice for frustrated people to vent, nothing more.
That's because most people do not discuss politics--or even religion--in public. I almost never do. The only place I really do is with my parents and brothers. And the hate is there. I think my liberal mother had hate for me even when I was in grade school due to disagreeing with the Democratic religion on one or two things.

But technology allows for a different social interaction--like Facebook which I don't do--and had Democrats and McCain Republicans understood the vibe on the internet better they would not have dismissed working class whites so much.

Hillary Democrats and McCain Republicans totally miscalculated the pulse of America.

The white guy smiling at me when we are socializing is not entirely his true self. Him behind computer screen running down black politicians, that is not 100 percent his true self but a big part of his true self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:27 AM

4,790 posts, read 4,224,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
If anyone doubts the OP, let's try a little thought experiment...

You have the choice of doing one of the following..

1) Wear a T-shirt in support of Hillary and visit a predominantly red state area where most people voted Trump.

2) Wear a Trump hat and visit Berkley or Portland.

If you had to pick one of those, which would you think would be the safer choice?

So you're saying some 18 year-old dweebs in college are going to rip you to shreds? Are you really that terrified of a bunch of teenagers? This is hilarious.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 AM

130 posts, read 71,482 times
How can people get so worked up over politics? Seems like there's no room for civil discourse anymore, just name calling and finger pointing.

Both sides are equally guilty when it comes to spewing the venom and hate towards each other. The left and right fringes of both parties will end up destroying this country, not unifying it.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:44 AM

6,942 posts, read 3,966,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
How can people get so worked up over politics? Seems like there's no room for civil discourse anymore, just name calling and finger pointing.

Both sides are equally guilty when it comes to spewing the venom and hate towards each other. The left and right fringes of both parties will end up destroying this country, not unifying it.
Exactly. In the end, Democrat or Republican we are all one thing...Americans.
Disagreeing is fine....hating people and wanting to kill people aren't fine. For either side.
If we care about our country, we need to find a way to unite and come together again.
and accept that not everyone is going to agree with us about everything.
We are America and we are strong, but divided like this we will fall.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:44 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,103,131 times
They hate me, I hate them. Seems like an equitable arrangement.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM

8,018 posts, read 2,748,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm confused by this post because when I made the post of mine you had quoted here you had not even entered the thread. So obviously my post was directed at the opening poster and those that followed with the same theme of labeling all liberals.
If there's a rule on the forum that states replies to posts must be limited to the person you were quoting, I'm unaware of it.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:49 AM

14,123 posts, read 6,068,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I am not even a Republican and I was unfriended by a Hillary supporter who I have known for years. I posted a general comment right after the election about how the DNC ignored the Rust Belt. A little silly to unfriend someone over that and it was the first clue as to how Libs would react. They hold so much anger inside. The Dems that I am in contact with aren't interested in rational discussion and can't listen to any other point of view. So I have decided to leave Facebook. I want no part of it. This entire election has pushed me firmly to the middle and even made me more conservative.
I feel they may have been able to handle the result better had the media been more honest about the polling. Maybe they wouldn't have stayed home on Election Day, or perhaps not voted for Jill Stein. I can understand being poleaxed. But the reaction has been way out of proportion to what the reality is.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 AM

14,123 posts, read 6,068,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
When did Republicans start thinking that it was okay for a Presidential candidate to preach divisiveness, accuse minorities of being criminals, make fun of women and the handicapped, brag about grabbing women's genitals without their consent, and refuse to make full financial disclosures... yet still earn the party nomination, and later, the presidency?

Come on. Romney was sunk by making one elitist comment and talking about binders full of women.

Trump sits around on golden toilet seats rating the attractiveness of women by numbers and the party of "good Christians" are okay with this?

When did the Republicans become so attached to a godless pervert?
Funny you should mention Romney. It was his treatment four years ago that really set me against the Democrats and the media. The Washington Post had a multi page investigative hit piece on him being a bully as a teenager. He was accused by his garbage collectors (union) of being mean because he didn't give them water. He was accused of killing someone's wife because she had cancer and the guy lost his job. You guys set it up for Trump because people were happy just to see someone stand up to all that.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:59 AM

2,813 posts, read 1,406,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
My tolerance ends where the Right's bigotry begins:

If you think this represents the Right, you are sadly mistaken!

Old 02-08-2017, 10:14 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,054,502 times
Take the violent people of any political stripe out of the picture for a minute. They're on the fringe if violence isn't being directed at them. Take out those that seek to do actual damage of any sort to those that disagree with them.

That leaves most of the rest of us. We disagree. We don't understand each other. We think those that are in direct or stark disagreement with us to be wrong-headed, lack good judgment and, from our exposure to them based on their politics, to be dense and stubbornly or belligerently unintelligent. And, yes, we can think they're hateful, mean-spirited and wish us harm for our beliefs.

For most of us, disagreement alone doesn't lead to hate. It leads to befuddlement, quandary, dismay. How can people believe things that seem so radically different from what we have experienced and believe? It also leads to fear and anxiety. Fear that these folks we see as so wrong can impose their will on us and cause us to go down a path that is destructive to our and our country's well-being.

What leads to anger is when we feel we are disregarded and being treated disrespectfully or even maliciously,like the "enemy". Not only are we being led in a perilous direction, but those that identify differently appear to relish our every setback as if it is not just a psychic wound for us but a victory for them. Hurrah! This cycle of disrespect, disregard, anger and a sense of others glorying in our fear and pain along with their perceived gains over us is a toxic stew; especially when experienced over and over. That is what leads to the feeling of hate. Some of us dip a toe in now and then. Some who are more chronically angry and estranged, dive in with both feet and wallow. That's where they live.

Some people are insightful about this. Many are not. Lots don't have any desire to be. There's not much of the "Golden Rule" in politics, nationally or individually, but there ought to be a great big bunch more. Then we would see a lot of that which unites us and not so much of that which divides us. Politics aside, on a purely human level, we are more alike than we are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies