U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:35 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,129,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
so maybe the race to the bottom has consequences? just cutting regulations and rights and expecting it all to work out due to the benevolence on the 1%ers doesn't work? It won't trickle down?
they call themselves "job creators" now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 AM

7,901 posts, read 3,147,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
A middle wage job in TX is defined as a job paying $11.20 an hour? Really?

Report: TX Middle Class Shrinking - KTSA
Might want to look at your own state before pointing at others...
https://www.google.com/amp/www.mercu...?client=safari

It's a nationwide trend. It's why Trump was elected.
You're ability to step back and look at the big picture is severely lacking.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:44 AM

14,564 posts, read 8,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. I don't know where that article (or you) comes up with that figure as "middle wage" for the state of Texas. I gave several reputable sources refuting that figure. Of course, you do have to actually click on the link to read them.

And then you have to, well, read them.

And by the way, I also gave links (to the study in the OP by the way) that show that these middle wage jobs in Texas are being replaced by HIGH WAGE jobs for the most part.

http://forabettertexas.org/images/EO...tion_Brief.pdf
Page 2
I find that hard to believe. I'm a native and all the evidence save your article shows that middle wage jobs are being replaced by either more middle wage jobs or low wage jobs. The employment rate is high, but the jobs don't usually pay much here. And you can live on less here than in other states, but the cost of rent and home ownership has increased by a large amount in the last few years.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwes...ages_texas.htm

Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 AM

44,326 posts, read 35,852,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I find that hard to believe. I'm a native and all the evidence save your article shows that middle wage jobs are being replaced by either more middle wage jobs or low wage jobs. The employment rate is high, but the jobs don't usually pay much here. And you can live on less here than in other states, but the cost of rent and home ownership has increased by a large amount in the last few years.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwes...ages_texas.htm
I posted link after link that verified every claim I made so I'm sorry if you don't believe those claims but there they are.

And many more middle wage jobs in Texas are being replaced by HIGH paying, high skilled jobs than by low paying, low skilled jobs. The growth of high paying jobs in Texas is three times the growth rate of low paying, low skilled jobs.

I've already posted the links to that information several times so I won't bother doing it again. Not sure where you live but it's very true of where I live in northeast Texas.

And in spite of the cost of homes going up, homes in Texas as well as the cost of living are less expensive in general than in many other regions of the US. I've posted those links as well.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:33 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times
Quote:

They can say thank you to illegal aliens for that! Illegals aliens drive down wages and TX is loaded with them. Just look at what the construction industry has become: Construction Booming In Texas, But Many Workers Pay Dearly : NPR

New jobs, who were they going to? http://cis.org/immigrants-filled-most-new-jobs-in-Texas

I can attest to the 3rd world conditions and the plague illegal aliens are to a state having lived in two states that were burdened by their presence!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:36 AM

17,752 posts, read 15,595,799 times
Quote:

That is what importing cheap labor from Mexico does. I realize you struggle with your 95 IQ , but more competition tends to drive down wages. So does disorganized labor. That's why labor used to form unions to prevent management from playing people off against each other.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:36 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,714,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Average pay for a garbage collector: $43,000 a year - or $16.04 per hour.
10: Garbage Collector - 10 High-paying Dirty Jobs | HowStuffWorks
$43k is roughly $20 bucks an hour according to my calculation.

$43/12 months/4.33 average weeks per month/40 hours per week.

$16.04 will gross about $33k.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:03 PM

44,326 posts, read 35,852,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
$43k is roughly $20 bucks an hour according to my calculation.

$43/12 months/4.33 average weeks per month/40 hours per week.

$16.04 will gross about $33k.
Maybe they work more than 40 hours a week. I don't know - I got that figure from some source on average salaries for various jobs.

Anyway, $43k is the national average for garbage collectors. Considering that absolutely no education other than probably a GED is required for this job, that's not such bad pay.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:10 AM

50,028 posts, read 26,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Texas will be fine. Lots of conservatives heading there. People are tending to herd toward meccas for their beliefs. Thus CA and NYC, which should not even exist under the belief system of the GOP, are thriving.

The taxes AND REGULATIONS in NYC are beyond belief. Amazingly awful regs there.

Texas is not that low in wages. Try FL or MS. I know a degreed EE earning right under 40K in his field in FL.
Yes, Texas IS THAT LOW in wages. It's very low.

And the cost of living may be fairly cheap, but that reflects desirability. Where it's worth living at in Texas, it ain't cheap. If it's cheap, you don't wanna live there.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,474,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yes, Texas IS THAT LOW in wages. It's very low.

And the cost of living may be fairly cheap, but that reflects desirability. Where it's worth living at in Texas, it ain't cheap. If it's cheap, you don't wanna live there.
Well yeah, there's less NIMBYs to deal with. Look how the bay area in CA is trying to build more housing while the NIMBYs do everything in there power to stop it from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or