Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The five states with the most deaths per 100,000 were West Virginia, libertarian New Hampshire, Kentucky, Ohio, and Rhode Island. Rhode Island is the only one of the bunch that is Democratic.

Spin, spin, spin.
You and a couple of your buddies obviously didn't study the stats. A lot of states in the northeast had huge increases in 2013 - 2015. It was already a problem in the states mentioned but states all over the east are catching up. Don't try and act like it's only a problem in the 4 states mentioned. It's a problem all over the east right now. Maine shot up 50 percent in 3 years.

Massachusetts had YUGE gains as well so there goes your blue state is safe and superior theory.

Take a look below at the clip and check out that big +35 percent, New York +20 percent!!! Looks like those blue states have a problem. WoW!!!!

Drug statistics debunked.

Gun statistics debunked.

All too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
West Virginia is a s$ithole of of opioids drug abuse. Meth and prescription pain drugs. Glad we moved out of that state..
They're glad you did too I'm sure you're not missed. Hope you know it's probably coming your way.
North Dakota is showing huge increases.

Most of it in WV is in the Huntington area it's trafficked using the I64 corridor that's why Cincinnati and some cities in Kentucky are all having the same problem, they're connected areas forming a triangle as someone else said.
Attached Thumbnails
Opiod crisis has overwhelmed Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia-drugoverdose.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Eighteen days. The previous Administration had 2922 days and finally addressed the issue in September of 2016, so you might want to hold off on the "effective leadership" piece for a bit.

And yeah, Montclair and a couple others are blaming Trump. Is his DEA head even confirmed yet?
No, but I wish he'd get onto it. With all this wee-hours Twittering and press releases, you'd think the least Trump could do would be to issue a statement of concern and a promise to address this very serious problem within the present year. I'd rather Trump would issue such a statement about his plans to deal with the drug crisis, instead of incessantly bragging about his so-called huge Inaugural crowd and spatting with those he perceives as his opponents.

It is beyond me why Trump failed to move more deliberately and to focus on issues which would bring the American people together rather than further dividing us. Like infrastructure, the drug crisis is a bipartisan issues. Why not address such common causes first? Why be so deliberately divisive?

I wish Trump would grow up and grow a couple of other things - attention span and focus, what did you think I meant?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You and a couple of your buddies obviously didn't study the stats.

A lot of states in the northeast had huge increases in 2013 - 2015. It was already a problem in the states mentioned but states all over the east are catching up. Don't try and act like it's only a problem in the 4 states mentioned. It's a problem all over the east right now. Maine shot up 50 percent in 3 years. Massachusetts had huge gains as well so there goes your blue state is safe and superior theory.

Gun statistics debunked.

All too easy.

They're glad you did too I'm sure you're not missed. Hope you know it's probably coming your way.

Most of it in WV is in the Huntington area it's trafficked using the I64 corridor that's why Cincinnati and some cities in Kentucky are all having the same problem, they're connected areas forming a triangle as someone else said.
I mentioned the triangle in Kentucky, but I was referring to the economically healthier "Golden Triangle" between Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky. But you're right - the Huntington-Ashland- Lexington-Cincinnati area to the east of the Golden Triangle is also being very hard hit, and in exactly the same way.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Most of these states have had their opioid use decline lately. If you think that it rising, you're using outdated data.
Really? Stats, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The five states with the most deaths per 100,000 were West Virginia, libertarian New Hampshire, Kentucky, Ohio, and Rhode Island. Rhode Island is the only one of the bunch that is Democratic.

Spin, spin, spin.
Sad. WV cycle of poverty and drug addiction just continues to circle round and round. Coal never did solve their problems and it won't this time around either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
West Virginia is a s$ithole of of opioids drug abuse. Meth and prescription pain drugs. Glad we moved out of that state..
Me too.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You and a couple of your buddies obviously didn't study the stats. A lot of states in the northeast had huge increases in 2013 - 2015. It was already a problem in the states mentioned but states all over the east are catching up. Don't try and act like it's only a problem in the 4 states mentioned. It's a problem all over the east right now. Maine shot up 50 percent in 3 years.

Massachusetts had YUGE gains as well so there goes your blue state is safe and superior theory.

Take a look below at the clip and check out that big +35 percent, New York +20 percent!!! Looks like those blue states have a problem. WoW!!!!

Gun statistics debunked.

All too easy.

No, it's not just Huntington. Take a look at Harrison country alone.

Sad!

Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You are failing to factor in the secondary costs to society and to the innocents who are impacted by addiction. How many small children have been found in the back seat while mama and daddy are passed out in the front recently? How many neighbors and family members have been robbed and/or threatened? How much petty and not-so-petty crime is directly due to drug addiction? What is the value of a life which is lost to drugs?

I don't have many answers, either, but it's clear that it's not feasible to let these particular chips fall where they may. Too many innocent people are getting hurt.
So lock them up then since they are such a danger to society. That's the ONLY answer. What else can be done? Just ask them nicely to stop using and report to detox? Yeah ok.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
LOL. Let's see how this works....

Obama 8 years. Trump 2 weeks.

And Trump is responsible for the Opioid crisis in the US ? Doesn't make sense to me.

Montclair.. Your a Berkeley grad right? Learn to spell in your Titles. It makes you look bad. Just in case you don't know what an Opioid is.....

What Are Opioids? List of Opioids - Opioid Drugs & Medications - Drug-Free World
Where does the OP say that 45 is "responsible for the opioid crisis in the US"?

Seems to me that the question is why is 45 IGNORING the opioid crisis?

There is little evidence that it has even appeared on his radar.

Shouldn't he have a plan, a really big plan to get this under control?
After all, more people died from overdoses in the last six months than were killed in this country by foreign terrorists.

Why no immediate action?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Is the original poster actually saying that he thinks this decades long drug crises in America should or could already have been magically fixed by the newly elected president?

Trump has been amazingly productive since he took office three weeks ago, but the original poster must think he is a Super Hero!
No.
The OP is simply wondering why Trump hasn't addressed it yet given how many Americans are dying every day.
As I noted earlier, many, many times more are dying from overdoses than are killed by foreign terrorists.

One would think it would be a little higher on the list of priorities.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:35 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You must have missed the 70's and 80's when the prime customers for drugs were doctors, lawyers, dentists, business men and women, etc......

Poverty does help it look better as far as a way to make income....and a way to get out of the hell which is where you live.

But I think stats will show opiate abuse among the wealthy and middle class has boomed.
I don't disagree. It's all spectrum's.. However I've seen it firsthand just flat out devastate entire regions. It's an epidemic in poor parts of Appalchia, and it's an epidemic out here especially on tribal reservations. I mean it's bad..REALLY bad. In both instances you have poverty, poor educational attainment, high rates of suicide, low sense of worth..

In both cases a lot of $$ has been poured into these regions. The ARC, as far as I'm concerned, is a failed project for Appalchia and we see a similar impact in tribal communities.

BUT- I do agree that the wealthy and middle class are abusers. My mother died in November, my sister who has been handling the affairs, uncovered that mom was addicted to Vicodin for over 20 years. She started it when she broke her hip, and she had been switching and finding doctors sympathetic to her 'condition' ever since. Blew us away. Had no idea.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No.
The OP is simply wondering why Trump hasn't addressed it yet given how many Americans are dying every day.
As I noted earlier, many, many times more are dying from overdoses than are killed by foreign terrorists.

One would think it would be a little higher on the list of priorities.
What can the government do? Nothing but lock them up involuntarily in jail until a bed in a rehab opens up. Everyone is saying they either are starting some kind of movement to fix this or want the government to fix it. If these people couldn't do anything while this was all going on right under their own noses and in their own homes what makes them think they can do anything at all besides locking them up? I'm serious about this, what is the answer besides that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies