U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 02:33 PM

25,259 posts, read 15,262,232 times

Advertisements

More America First goodness

----

Two Republican senators took up the baton for populist immigration reform Tuesday when they announced their Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment, or RAISE Act, designed to raise wages for ordinary Americans, restore legacy immigration levels, and reset family and worker visa programs.
“We are taking action to fix some of the shortcomings in our legal immigration system—returning to our historically normal levels of legal immigration will help improve the quality of American jobs and wages,” said Georgia’s Sen. David A. Perdue Jr., who served on the chamber’s Judiciary Committee and was one the first and foremost Senate supporters of President Donald J. Trump’s campaign. Purdue was joined by Arkansas Sen. Thomas B. Cotton, his co-sponsor.

Perdue, Cotton File RAISE Act: Reform Outdated Immigration System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 03:25 PM

10,790 posts, read 2,671,797 times
“The liberal left better look at their history because, honestly, they looked at this in the mid-90s under Bill Clinton and they said, ‘Look, we need to be more like Canada in relation to bringing in skilled workers with a merit-based system,’” Perdue observed. “This is something that really shouldn’t be that partisan, frankly.”

“You could see the hue and cry from the CNN guy the other day, and then also what Nancy Pelosi said, and everything else,” he said. “When a liberal politician starts to really scream about a new piece of legislation that I put in, I feel like I’m headed in the right direction.”

“There’s going to be a hue and cry, they’re going to say it’s biased, and this and that, but they need to realize that this was a Democratic effort in the mid-90s that looked at best practices and came up and said, ‘You know, we need to have a skills-based approach,” he reiterated.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:30 PM

7,080 posts, read 3,428,541 times
It's not merit based, it's racist based.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:23 PM

3,907 posts, read 1,189,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It's not merit based, it's racist based.
Can you explain this otherwise stupid comment?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:33 PM

12,403 posts, read 3,866,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Can you explain this otherwise stupid comment?
I guess he thinks some racial groups will lack merit ?

Issuing green cards based on family connections as currently seems more racial to me.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 PM

1,850 posts, read 554,533 times
Economics isn't a zero sum game and people seem to assume that the issue is native Americans competing for jobs with immigrants when it's a global game.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:33 PM

1,850 posts, read 554,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I guess he thinks some racial groups will lack merit ?

Issuing green cards based on family connections as currently seems more racial to me.
So much for family values...... well I guess when it's inconvenient.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies