Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:12 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

Finally the Senate gets things done. Another secretary is confirmed today. Now the education department can get to shining things up. Big cities are surely looking forward to new charter schools helping to provide much needed competition. Chicago school teachers that served over 2 years were called dinosaurs.

Betsy DeVos confirmed as Trump's education secretary; vice president casts historic tie-breaking vote - CNNPolitics.com

Old 02-07-2017, 05:16 PM

131 posts, read 123,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Finally the Senate gets things done. Another secretary is confirmed today. Now the education department can get to shining things up. Big cities are surely looking forward to new charter schools helping to provide much needed competition. Chicago school teachers that served over 2 years were called dinosaurs.

Betsy DeVos confirmed as Trump's education secretary; vice president casts historic tie-breaking vote - CNNPolitics.com
Speaking of which, I'm guessing dinosaurs will be among the first items erased from the books in favor of the teachings of creationism.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
Speaking of which, I'm guessing dinosaurs will be among the first items erased from the books in favor of the teachings of creationism.
She'll do fine. We had a community organizer start no less than 5 proxy wars because he couldn't govern and we survived those, despite having Benghazi and a secretary of state that didn't know the definition of secret.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
I think they still believe in dinosaurs...except they lived beside humans...or some nonsense like that?

Good lord...please don't let this happen.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I think they still believe in dinosaurs...except they lived beside humans...or some nonsense like that?

Elections have consequences. If teaching that America is bad and global warming is *ehm* real, then a change up is just what the doctor ordered.

Let's work on charter schools first, then curriculum.

Assuming that local districts can figure out their own school menus without Washington assistance.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:

It's great news for those she bought and paid for - but not so much for the rest of the country.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:50 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
We pay high taxes to live in an area with great public schools. Private schools near me are
30 -40K per year. My guess is that a voucher would not cover that.

Have four more years to get through. Hoping we make it before she destroys everything.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:58 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

School officials need to have assault rifles in class in case one of those dinosaurs from the past 4000 years (the age of the earth) comes into the doors of the school!

#DevosFaqs

Old 02-07-2017, 06:01 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
The filibuster rule change pushed by the Democrats came back to bite them in the butt. They had to do it back then to bypass an obstinate GOP, but it hurts now.

She never would have been confirmed otherwise, IMO.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Elections have consequences. If teaching that America is bad and global warming is *ehm* real, then a change up is just what the doctor ordered.

Let's work on charter schools first, then curriculum.

Assuming that local districts can figure out their own school menus without Washington assistance.
We teach that America is bad? What curriculum do you study? In my 24 years of education, I never was taught that. Ever. Even at the "indoctrinating" University and post-graduate levels.

The war on science is ridiculous, and if that seeps into our Public education system, I'm certainly going to be marching on Washington and giving them hell. When did the Republican party become so anti-science? It used to champion our scientific innovation and leadership! Very sad.

You want to teach your kids some nonsense about a 6,000 year old Earth, that Evolution doesn't happen, or that there isn't decades of evidence supporting Climate Change...be my guest. You have every right to deny science and live in whatever alternate reality you want to.

But you sure as hell aren't teaching that in any government-funded school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies