Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
She says blacks have a harder time doing something than other races. She feels blacks aren't as capable. She is a racist.
How did you get there? It has to do with poverty, not race. I mean, I am capable of going to a Bentley dealer and asking for a Continental GT, but I can't get it due to lack of $200,000. Do you see the point?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How did you get there? It has to do with poverty, not race. I mean, I am capable of going to a Bentley dealer and asking for a Continental GT, but I can't get it due to lack of $200,000. Do you see the point?
I agree with you that it absolutely about poverty and economics.

That is why any leftist (or anyone else) who uses the term "white privilege" is a racist. Are you really claiming that some meth-head's child in Appalachia has had a better shot at life than an African American born to wealthy parents and given a world class education?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I watched her speech and watched McConnell give her the slap-down.

Why read an article about something I saw with my own eyes?

If Coretta Scott King is who you're referring to, and you're saying the reading of her letter should be allowed, then I would ask you this: Should another Senator be allowed to read a letter from me impugning the reputation of Senator Warren by calling her the lying fraud and cheat that she undoubtedly is?

Apparently there are rules against that sort of thing in the Senate.

Furthermore, there aren't two sides to the story about Warren. She is a liar, period.

There ARE two sides to the story about Sessions. He has been defended by blacks in Alabama regarding the very case CSK complained about in her letter, and he has been defended by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights.
The debate isn't about Warren...it's about Sessions.

What's in that letter that scares you all so much?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Warren barred from speaking on Senate floor for rest of Sessions debate | Fox News

McConnell used an arcane Senate rule to muzzle Elizabeth Warren. What is this, Russia? Republicans should be ashamed.
She was out of line and definitely in violation of the rule. Too bad for her.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
She was out of line and definitely in violation of the rule. Too bad for her.
Okay. What portion of the Coretta Scott King letter violated the rule?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
She didn't say poor people, she said blacks.

Sessions represented Alabama. In Alabama, Hispanics have a higher rate of poverty than blacks.

If she wanted to discuss which group represents the poor in Alabama, since Hispanics have a greater problem with poverty in Alabama, that would have been the group to pick.

Obviously, if you want to discuss the poor, you discuss the poor. She chose blacks, because her racist tendencies slipped out.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Why was she dicussing civil rights in regards to his nomination?
Because he's being nominated for attorney general, genius! The chief law enforcement officer of the country.

He's already been rejected before for a judgeship based on his record in Alabama. Are we supposed to forget that? He's an Alabama Republican that has a long record of hostility towards African Americans.

Some of us know about the Marion 3 case, and find his involvement in it to be highly problematic. You know...the way you all found Reverend Wright to be a problem when he wasn't even being nominated for anything and wasn't a public figure.

But now, impugning a white man is a bad thing, even though he clearly doesn't like blacks at best...hates blacks at worst.

You Southerners really stick together, don't you?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
She didn't say poor people, she said blacks.

Sessions represented Alabama. In Alabama, Hispanics have a higher rate of poverty than blacks.

If she wanted to discuss which group represents the poor in Alabama, since Hispanics have a greater problem with poverty in Alabama, that would have been the group to pick.

Obviously, if you want to discuss the poor, you discuss the poor. She chose blacks, because her racist tendencies slipped out.
When politicians speak about "blacks", I am smart enough to assume they mean inner city blacks and not all black people. They aren't referring to people like Herman Cain or Ben Carson, at least that's my assumption

Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The debate isn't about Warren...it's about Sessions.

What's in that letter that scares you all so much?
She was attempting to paint Sessions as a racist by reading a civil rights letter during the nominyprocess of an appointee from Alabama.

I'd say it would have been just as relevant for a person to read a letter from a Holocaust survivor when Timothy Geitner was going through the process.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
She was attempting to paint Sessions as a racist by reading a civil rights letter during the nominyprocess of an appointee from Alabama.
I'd say it would have been just as relevant for a person to read a letter from a Holocaust survivor when Timothy Geitner was going through the process.
Please read the letter then weigh in on whether it was relevant or not, I think most people would find that it was:
Coretta Scott King letter Elizabeth Warren was trying to read - CNNPolitics.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies