Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wish someone would do something.

Our medical insurance costs just went up to $1500 a month, with a $4500 deductible EACH, and 50 percent coverage (not 80 percent) on most services IN NETWORK.

Let me tell you something, folks - that SUCKS.

And yet, according to the ACA, "catastrophic" coverage only is not legal. A pig by any other name...I mean, what else IS our coverage but catastrophic only?

It's ridiculous. But hey - if I get pregnant, I'm covered! (I'm 55 and don't have a uterus, so that's pretty unlikely.)
Catastrophic coverage IS legal under the ACA, but only for young(er) people.

"Catastrophic health insurance is a type of medical coverage under the Affordable Care Act. This is a type of high-deductible health plan for people under 30 or those who qualify for a "hardship exemption.""

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/hea...phic-insurance

I know that this has been noted many, many times, but policies are governed by the states that they are sold in.
Some states have good policies, some don't.

If people want better coverage in their state, they need to make that clear to their local representatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
45 promised a solution on DAY ONE!

He's signed EOs for all sorts of things already. Has he lost interest in this project?
As others have noted, the GOP that voted multiple times to repeal the ACA also claimed that they had a replacement ready.
They surely must know the ins and outs of the legislation by now, no?

So, why the delay on the ACA replacement?

"President Donald Trump's statement over the weekend that a Republican replacement for the Affordable Care Act won't be done until late 2017 or early 2018 is the latest sign of trouble for the GOP's legislative agenda on health policy, tax cuts, and other priorities."

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/170209940
The Republicans are going to try to push this out past the 2018 elections, because they know full well that ripping out healthcare from millions of people would hurt them badly at the polls. The question is, will all of those loud-mouth Republican constituents foaming at the mouth to destroy the law allow them delay the demise of the hated ACA for that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The Democrats rushed the ACA into law and look at the abortion it turned out to be.
The Republicans assured us they had a plan to replace it on day one. Look what an abortion that is turning out to be.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
In a couple of months Obamacare will be replaced.

It would happen sooner, but Trump has a cabinet to force through due to all the going on in Congress, Elizabeth Warren's needing to be told to sit down and shutthebleepup and whatnot.

I personally think paddles should be allowed. A jingle could be written for the Democratic isle (and throw in a few Republicans as well)... He's a Nazi, She's a Nazi, wouldn't you like to be a Nazi too?...

Neither did he know his cabinet would have 5 out of 15 members with which to operate on his 20th day in office with Democrats not just dragging their feet but kicking and wailing in public and blowing chunks of gerbers all over the walls everywhere they go.

Democrats give nothing ever. They take everything. They are useless infantile liars and theves.

Don't worry. We'll all remember this in two years. Just you wait.
Good Lord what a bunch of crybabies.

Seems Trump and the Republicans had time to implement that Muslim travel ban fiasco and the unfortunate raid in Yemen, which national security experts from both sides of the aisles have said on no uncertain terms did not improve our national security and likely will make it worse.

Trump and the Republicans have had time to attempt an end run at Dodd-Frank and set about eliminating fiduciary requirements for financial advisors.

ACA delays have got nothing to do with Trump and the Republicans pushing through a bunch of incumbent crooks for cabinet members. Rick Perry in charge of our nuclear arsenal?

Nominees who showed any signs of competence were approved fairly fast. For all the difference it made as none of them were consulted on the travel ban.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
By now it should be painfully obvious that the current Administration does not know what they are doing, is not interested in telling the truth, has no plans to "FIX" Healthcare, Islamic terrorism, US Jobs, US Coal, US Immigration, US Education, etc..

The US Healthcare system is being crushed under the weight of it's own expense. Time for you to do some research, save your money and go overseas for your Healthcare.
I've experienced European healthcare. I wasn't impressed.

Not comfortable with the idea of going to many other countries for healthcare.

By the way, it's not the QUALITY of US healthcare I'm complaining about - the quality tends to be excellent. Just wanted to make that clear.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The Republicans are going to try to push this out past the 2018 elections, because they know full well that ripping out healthcare from millions of people would hurt them badly at the polls. The question is, will all of those loud-mouth Republican constituents foaming at the mouth to destroy the law allow them delay the demise of the hated ACA for that long?
Seems to be they don't have any plan. This is where Trump gets little credit for not removing ACA without proper replacement plan and waiting patiently unlike his travel ban EO. I think you are right. They are going to squeeze it to 2018 elections if increasing costs is a real concern for people.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Catastrophic coverage IS legal under the ACA, but only for young(er) people.

"Catastrophic health insurance is a type of medical coverage under the Affordable Care Act. This is a type of high-deductible health plan for people under 30 or those who qualify for a "hardship exemption.""

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/hea...phic-insurance

I know that this has been noted many, many times, but policies are governed by the states that they are sold in.
Some states have good policies, some don't.

If people want better coverage in their state, they need to make that clear to their local representatives.
OK. It's not lawful for ME at age 55.

And I have made my dissatisfaction very clear to my representatives.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default How's that Republican replacement for ACA coming along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Feels like we've stopped getting updates. Anyone hear anything?

Imagine if one time when they voted to repeal Obama hadn't vetoed it?
Hilarity would have ensued!

My bet is that they simply won't even offer any replacement plan.

They'll just go to block grants to the states and let their GOP governors spend that money how they please. Probably tax "incentives" of some sort aimed at corporate parasites.

Remember, the Pubs hate spending tax dollars on programs that benefit taxpayers.

Carry on.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Meaning there should have been a viable replacement just waiting in the wings, where is it?

The Democrats are no longer in power, you won, so where is the replacement?
Several hints have been provided. HSA accounts, Tort Reform.....the tricky part in their plan is the ability for one to purchase coverage across state lines. Any major insurance company can do business in any state. Since its the states regulate health insurance in their given state, those regulation oftens don't sit well with the bottom line, thus insurance companies pull stakes. Insurance companies have broken down the demographics of every county in every state knowing full well where risk lies, where to avoid etc. Allowing a high risk person to purchase coverage in a profitable county, in a far away state will not sit well with insurance companies.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Bill Clinton promised to fix healthcare in 1992, and utterly failed to even offer anything in 8 years.

Obama promised to fix healthcare in 2008, and created a mess that is imploding as we speak.

The democrats have failed to fix healthcare for the last 25 years, Trump hasn't even been in office for 25 days, and you dems are demanding a solution right now.
The democrats and the republicans have failed in the last 100 years. This battle didn't start with the Clintons in the early 90s, not by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The discovery that Obamacare and ACA are one in the same and that Mexico will not be paying for the wall but rather Americans will be has caused some amount of disappointment among the Trump faithful.

But never fear, they are 100% behind closing their public schools.
Can't wait until they find out the schools they think they will be sending their kids to cost 20-30K a year and the vouchers only cover 6K.....

Last edited by Metsfan53; 02-08-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies