Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Will The Appeals Court Do?
Votes to Reinstate the Executive Order 37 29.84%
Votes to Continue the Stay by the Seattle Court 77 62.10%
Votes to Restrict New Visitors Only 7 5.65%
Votes to Send the Stay Back to Seattle 3 2.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,947,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Judges' intent is to do their jobs--evaluate the cases before them and make decisions based on the law. There are rules applicable to judges that govern whether they should recuse themselves from cases before them. There are rules governing their interactions with parties. And there is a system of courts that can reverse the rulings of individual judges if they commit errors of law. That you accuse at least 6 judges of a conspiracy against The Donald, TM, is a sign that you are wading in the realm of tin-foil hat conspiracy.
I doubt he thinks the Russians hacked the election or that a youTube video caused a terrorist attack, like you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:40 AM

57,188 posts, read 26,154,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If Trump's intent can be evaluated, why not the judges of Washington State, Hawai'i, Maryland and the 9th Circuit? Maybe they're part of the "resistance" to Trump. I'd bet on it.
Then who will evaluate the justices that will do the evaluation of the justices?

You should have bumped up the thread on the Maryland Appeals Court, that is where they appealed the last ruling.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 PM

34,958 posts, read 16,929,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Judges' intent is to do their jobs--evaluate the cases before them and make decisions based on the law. There are rules applicable to judges that govern whether they should recuse themselves from cases before them. There are rules governing their interactions with parties. And there is a system of courts that can reverse the rulings of individual judges if they commit errors of law. That you accuse at least 6 judges of a conspiracy against The Donald, TM, is a sign that you are wading in the realm of tin-foil hat conspiracy.
Not really. You'd be shocked how many cases make their way to the SCOTUS by virtue of a split among the circuits.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:14 PM

34,958 posts, read 16,929,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You should have bumped up the thread on the Maryland Appeals Court, that is where they appealed the last ruling.
The Trump legal team's strategy on that score is ingenuous. The 4th Circuit (it is a Federal court and not the Maryland appeals court) is quite likely to reverse the District of Maryland since it is very conservative. Trust me, as a left-winger I follow their rulings. If the SCOTUS goes 4-4 the Maryland decision stands. The chances of the 9th Circuit reversing the Hawai'i court is about as good as my chances of getting pregnant or winning the New York City marathon.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Not really. You'd be shocked how many cases make their way to the SCOTUS by virtue of a split among the circuits.
I would not be shocked. It is a tiny percentage of the cases heard by the circuits.

All of which has nothing to do with your conspiracy about the intent of at least 6 judges to unfairly malign Donald.

He did this to himself.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
The Trump legal team's strategy on that score is ingenuous. The 4th Circuit (it is a Federal court and not the Maryland appeals court) is quite likely to reverse the District of Maryland since it is very conservative. Trust me, as a left-winger I follow their rulings. If the SCOTUS goes 4-4 the Maryland decision stands. The chances of the 9th Circuit reversing the Hawai'i court is about as good as my chances of getting pregnant or winning the New York City marathon.
The 4th Circuit is not very conservative. It's more Obama appointees than anyone.

More fundamentally, there are certain questions that are not partisan. This is one of them. I'm sure every Judge to hear these cases must wonder: what if this were 1936 and a candidate campaigned on banning and registering a religious minority? How should a court rule if the first act toward that goal were before it?

Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM

Although the temporary ban had a rather large impact it was a small part of his plan, the large changes were to be the extreme vetting procedures. They claimed they just needed time to put these procedures in place, so here we are 70 days in and nothing has changed.

This is all I have seen to date, it's completely vague and amounts to little other than "let's try harder", the already have broad discretionary power to refuse a visa if they have a remote suspicion. I read where he asks these embassy officials to do no more than 120 interviews a day, that's around 4 minutes per applicant. If he cuts funding of the state department it will only get worse.

It appears that the ban was the center piece and I would bet that if it went through he would just keep extending.

Quote:
Diplomatic cables sent last week from Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson to all American embassies instructed consular officials to broadly increase scrutiny. It was the first evidence of the “extreme vetting” Mr. Trump promised during the presidential campaign.
The new rules generally do not apply to citizens of 38 countries — including most of Europe and longstanding allies like Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea — who can be speedily admitted into the United States under the visa waiver program. That program does not cover citizens from any country in the Middle East or Africa
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/u...tillerson.html

Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
What you call ingenuous I would call common sense, besides no one really knows how a court will rule. This is not going to the supreme court, another month or two this will be a moot point no matter which way the appeals court rules. The entire reason for the ban according to Trump was to give his administration time "to figure out what's going on".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies