Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:17 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,786,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post

WV was/is a one trick pony economically. That's on you and your state for not changing with the times. Tennessee and Kentucky did and they are states with a lot of manufacturing, especially Tennessee. Investment in education and the right to work paid off well for Tennessee. Why couldn't WV grab the auto industry like Tenn did?

Yet a higher % of rural residents are on welfare compared to their urban counterparts.

Coal workers need to switch fields and move to where the jobs are. This is the history of America, going to where the jobs are. Can't expect the world to stay static for any industry.
TN has been a right-to-work state for a while WV just got on board with that recently. A lot of plants were put in the south because those states were deemed more business friendly. KY is a right-to-work state now too. WV has oil and gas drilling now but yeah still need to move on to things other than energy.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 AM

7,178 posts, read 4,744,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Yep, it sure is. Bigger isn't always better!

$28,000 per-capita income for Los Angeles compared to $34,000 in Charleston, WV

$2,454 median monthly home cost in Los Angeles compared to $1,141 in Charleston

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...644000,5414600

$10,000 retail sales per-capita in Los Angeles despite all the movie stars and real estate executives shopping sprees compared to $29,000 in Charleston, WV

91% high school graduation in Charleston compared to 75% in Los Angeles

13% uninsured in Charleston compared to 23% in Los Angeles
Sigh! Just another thread to disparage California. It really chaps your behind.

West Virginia is still West Virginia. I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:22 AM

1,896 posts, read 808,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
TN has been a right-to-work state for a while WV just got on board with that recently. A lot of plants are in the south. KY is a right-to-work state now too.
Well there you go.

I love Tennessee, beautiful country out there, as I frequent Chattanooga severely times a year. Seems a new manufacturer sets up shop every time I drive 20 miles down the road to Cleveland, TN.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:26 AM

7,178 posts, read 4,744,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I don't understand this post. Republican politicians have failed rural America. Living in West Virginia is not an easy life, most people work long hours and still need government assistance to get by. Unfortunately, banning Muslims and building a wall will do nothing for these people.
You're right, but that's not what they care about. Looking down on other people and making it harder on others is what makes them feel better.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,786,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Sigh! Just another thread to disparage California. It really chaps your behind.

West Virginia is still West Virginia. I wouldn't want to live there.
Who cares where people like perhaps it's people in CA that have the complex? Lots of people would never want to live in CA. That doesn't mean it's bad. Maybe that just ruffles some feathers because people think it's the pinnacle of the world or something.

It's sort of like how people in other countries view the US. They think everyone in the US thinks the US is perfect and the best country to live in across the board in every category. Then they laugh about it. Those people don't have a complex, they just think it's a ridiculous notion. Make sense?

Old 02-11-2017, 06:36 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The economic issues we face here in West Virginia are due mostly to the war on coal and the EPA regulations passed by national Democrats despite the lack of clear evidence from global warming (schools teach an agenda and only the data that supports that agenda). Many of our towns had much higher populations before and some people have had to leave the state, where their families have lived for generations,to find work. Sometimes they go to a place like Atlanta, Charlotte or DC and find all blue collar jobs are all taken by illegal immigrants.

Most of the drugs that do come here first cross the Mexican border, and are distributed by gangsters from the big cities like Chicago and Detroit. What crime and violence that occurs here in WV is usually caused by outside criminals from other states.

There are several major coal mines in the county I live in. There are coal mines a mere 15 minute drive from the WV state capitol building and coal barges pass on the river in front of it every day. We know which side our bread is buttered. We also understand the trickle down effects on the economy when well paid coal miners lose their jobs. Liberals claim natural gas is putting coal out of business but they hate natural gas too. They are always complaining about fracking which occurs in the northern part of WV and provides many jobs.

If Al Gore had not been so radical about global warming and more centrist on social issues he may have won WV over George W. Bush, and had that happened the Florida recount wouldn't even have mattered. Politicians ignore coal country at their own peril. It was the votes in southern Ohio and western Pennsylvania that flipped those states for Trump. The ghetto people in Cleveland and Philly still voted Democrat as did the liberal elites in cities just like they've always done, but there was a huge turnout in southern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. While Virginia seems Democrat now on the national level because of the transplants and illegals in the DC suburbs, the coal counties send a lot of Republican to the state legislature.

And most coal miners do want to get back to work vs just depend on welfare like illegal aliens and the ghetto people in Detroit and Harlem. The culture of welfare that is so accepted in the inner cities is still considered quite shameful here in rural America.
Meth is a home grown problem. And meth is the biggest problem in WV and nearby areas.

The coal industry figured out years ago they can strip mine for the coal instead of tunnel for it and hire very few people to get the same quantity. The coal industry exploited the people, the land (blew up the mountains and poisoned the water), now you've got no jobs and a destroyed, polluted environment that will keep jobs away. WV's mountains could make it an incredible tourist destination. The location is close to major population centers. But the coal industry has and is destroying your chances at that. Unskilled labor and extraction industry has no future and is no basis for an economy. Natural gas is replacing coal everywhere. Coal is dead. And the pollution caused by coal is not some myth it's fact. The mercury in fish in northeastern areas came from coal being burned in the midwest. It may be surprising but most people who have a good education A) want clean air and water and B) don't want to work as coal miners. Even China wants to get off coal as quick as they can. They live with the pollution everyday from using coal. The EPA's regulations on the Clean Air Act of 1990 alone is saving roughly 200,000 people a year. There is no logical argument for reversing that and going backwards, allowing industry to kill 200,000 people a year via pollution, so a coal company can blow mountains up and throw a few miners some crumbs. If someone cares about their children they'd see the trends for blue collar jobs and try to get a good education for their kids. Coal miners can sit around till the cows come home but the coal jobs are not coming back. WV needs to reinvent itself economically or it will simply continue to die.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:39 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Meth is a home grown problem. And meth is the biggest problem in WV and nearby areas.

The coal industry figured out years ago they can strip mine for the coal instead of tunnel for it and hire very few people to get the same quantity. The coal industry exploited the people, the land (blew up the mountains and poisoned the water), now you've got no jobs and a destroyed, polluted environment that will keep jobs away. WV's mountains could make it an incredible tourist destination. The location is close to major population centers. But the coal industry has and is destroying your chances at that. Unskilled labor and extraction industry has no future and is no basis for an economy. Natural gas is replacing coal everywhere. Coal is dead. And the pollution caused by coal is not some myth it's fact. The mercury in fish in northeastern areas came from coal being burned in the midwest. It may be surprising but most people who have a good education A) want clean air and water and B) don't want to work as coal miners. Even China wants to get off coal as quick as they can. They live with the pollution everyday from using coal. If someone cares about their children they'd see the trends for blue collar jobs and try to get a good education for their kids. Coal miners can sit around till the cows come home but the coal jobs are not coming back.
I go there all the time. The mountains are still there. They really are.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:46 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I go there all the time. The mountains are still there. They really are.
Less of them every year because of the mining.

West Virginia Mountaintop Coal Removal Photos - Business Insider

Before and After: Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining from 2009 and 2013 « Appalachian Voices

Old 02-11-2017, 06:52 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
No there isn't. I can't access the first link because of my ad blocker but the second one is misleading. The after pictures are NOT the after pictures. They are the intermediate pictures. The land is reclaimed with new trees planted and the land restored.

I am happy to see the process stopping but I dislike deceitful representations of what is happening. It's far harder to make your argument when you paint a complete picture but just because it takes more work to make a decent argument, you shouldn't resort to deceptive practices.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to admit I have spent much time in Rural America but also much time in places like California and Colorado which are filled with overwhelmed people trying to live a millionaires lifestyle at the end of the day.

But at the end of the day, people in West Virginia have a non-existent commute, very little pollution, low electric bills from all the coal and most of them have houses paid off with hardly any property taxes.

Love seeing the 91 from Riverside into Orange County at 5am packed with miles long traffic jams as West Virginians will be in bed for a couple more hours with their non-existent commutes

California chasing fantasies by either paying a million plus for a small house or commuting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours each way thinking that they will all be rich executives some day.

2,100 median mortgage payment in California, 900 in West Virginia

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

72% own houses in WV compared to 53% in California

39% pay more then 30% income mortgage in California compared to 21% in West Virginia

Most of the Homes(shacks) in West Virginia are handed down from one generation to another and at best are worth very little.I bet you can come up with the same numbers or even higher if you compare WV to NY or Conn. WV is very poor and their lack of "property tax" shows in their awful education system and healthcare.You get what you give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.