Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 10:04 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Oh that. The conservative refrain. That only applies to poor people in the 'inner cities".

Not to those good, god-fearing, people in middle America.

For them, we will return to the days of thriving coal mines, steno pools, manufacturing, and switchboard operators.
I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Looks like some cross training is in order. Thankfully many of the areas that were formerly coal producing also are big natural gas producing areas. Coal is not coming back.
There really isn't much choice than that. Either cross train, or some people will have to move. Coal is still bring produced. However, less people are needed. And it is not in as much demand as it used to be.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times
So, it apparently takes fewer employees to lop the tops off mountains, and pile the rubble in the creeks and valleys to make getting to the coal quicker and cheaper for the coal companies. So... fewer jobs, ruination of the natural beauty of the area so tourism is not a likely new industry once it is done, and lots of environmental impacts on the air, water, land, and, by extension, humans. What's not to love? Dig that coal!

Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I have repeatedly debunked solar or wind as an ALTERNATIVE to grid tied electric. The simple FACT is both solar and wind have a negative ROI (return on investment). The cost to run solar and/or wind in a reliable manner for a household is 3 to 4 times the cost of grid tied electricity.
I'm genuinely curious. Why do you keep posting tangential nonsense? Is it because you can't discuss the actual topic? Do you think that typing in all caps impresses people? Do you know what ROI is and how to calculate it? Do you realize that saying something has a negative ROI is completely meaningless if you don't define a timeframe?

If you're going to attempt to derail the thread could you at least do so with an intelligent argument?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:11 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think so.
Lily, we are frequent sparring partners here on C-D, but I do want to compliment you on some of your more recent posts, some but not all of them in this thread. Unlike many others who support Trump and his notions and defend both adamantly while blasting other POVs, you seem to be becoming more thoughtful and seem to be willing to examine various issues and claims more closely.

Keep it up.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:15 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Jason,

Most of the natural gas in the world is in the Middle East, and Russia. But to extract and distribute natural gas is not as pretty as you make it sound. After the gas has been extracted, it has to be compressed, and stored. Pipelines cross the US have to be built to reach the distribution points, and so on. Don't you see all the opposition to the building of pipelines in recent years?

Isn't the point of this thread to show how bad coal is? Do you think that petroleum fuels, or even nuclear energy are any better in the long run? The use of coal has been declining because there are other sources of energy that are cheaper to produce. That's the bottom line.

To make coal burn clean takes a lot more money than other materials.
The US has been the world's largest producer of natural gas since 2011.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, the coal mining companies didn't even put any effort into hiding the fact they sent hired thugs out to murder people who stood up for the miners. Police Chief Sid Hatfield was murdered in that town by those hired killers.
There were also very bloody encounters during that time period between mine owners and miners out west...in states such as Colorado and Idaho...were working conditions were horrid as well.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Coal is still very much the future, along with fracking gas. The difference being Republicans think in terms of a 50 year plan and Democrats more of a just now plan.

Yeah, it would be nice if all pickups got 50mpg but given the technology now, it's just not logical nor possible, much like many of Lefty policies. Obama's failed solar pet project, exhibit A.
Worrying about global warning isn't planning for fifty years from now?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So, it apparently takes fewer employees to lop the tops off mountains, and pile the rubble in the creeks and valleys to make getting to the coal quicker and cheaper for the coal companies. So... fewer jobs, ruination of the natural beauty of the area so tourism is not a likely new industry once it is done, and lots of environmental impacts on the air, water, land, and, by extension, humans. What's not to love? Dig that coal!
Well in the Inez Ky area they lop off a mountain and have the Big Sandy Regional airport now with a 4 lane highway along with an industrial park,federal prison, NS land development reclaimed land turned it into a golf course.People say open up to other developments but you forget just how remote these areas were before coal and now some progress in the right direction in reclaiming land for development.
Jenny Wiley Trail State Park,Loretta Lynn homestead and the Country Music Highway why I would even say the Norfolk Southern Wolf Creek Branch line had some of the most beautiful areas I have ever worked.The creeks were clean with big soft shell turtles,black bear,elk, saw my first lynx up close and personal close to a mine.
The real idiot polluters are the people who toss their trash out behind the house and wait for the spring rains to flush it down to the Ohio River the land of a million plastic milk jugs.

Last edited by Dumbdowndemocrats; 02-12-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Worrying about global warning isn't planning for fifty years from now?
That was a particularly laughable statement, wasn't it?

Argue that we should be on the forefront of energy and should be training people for those new jobs is characterized as defeatist, putting America last, hating miners, and being shortsighted, yet these same people will tell us that denying reality and pretending that we never ever need to address any issue or make any progress in any area constitutes a long-term hopeful vision of the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies