Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:18 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good post. I am a 9/11 survivor, 1 WTC. Lost 80+ coworkers, plus others I saw every day.

People forget that the WTC was attacked in 1993 and had been threatened since the 80s. We KNEW we were working in a terrorist target, but we were willing to take the risk to work in the sky in one of the most exciting places in the world. We certainly hoped they wouldn't be able to accomplish what they said they would after '93, and the attacks were a horror, but that's the risk you take to live in a free society.

The illusion was that we were somehow "safe" before, and that we can be made "safe" again. Time to move to Reality Town, people. We were never safe. A life worth living means taking risk.
Excellent post. I can't imagine being in the towers, I am so sorry you had to go through all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:00 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Excellent post. I can't imagine being in the towers, I am so sorry you had to go through all of that.
Thank you. I figure I'm still here to keep yelling against hate.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,311,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sorry for your direct and personal losses. I hope that experience is less hurtful for you while still being remembered. I went to visit the site after they had completed the excavation of the foundation and I was moved to both sadness and to anger at the same time. As I said, I think the US needs to do all that we can to prevent these terrorist acts in the future, but that does not include giving up our freedoms or changing our society for a few paranoid and xenophobic people. You are right, the illusion of safety is indeed not worth the loss of freedom.

I am reminded of the 96 Olympics... It was no where near the tragedy, but I remember being outside of Centennial park when it was closed again for a bomb threat. They cleared the park for about an hour and people stayed in the streets jammed tighter than on a subway car at rush hour. I could physically feel the people in front, back, left and right. But I don't remember hearing ANYONE complain as we all waited for the bomb sweep to be completed. As soon as the park reopened, we all swept right back in. I was very proud to be one of the many brave Americans that night. We all lose when we change our ways because of a bully or terrorist.
Well said.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,854,088 times
Thank you for sharing your background with us, MQ. Your insights are all the more meaningful because of what you endured and survived.

It seems that some are primarily driven by the need to feel safe, while others are primarily driven by the need to feel free. I don't want us to sacrifice either in order to preserve the other. But I do recall what Franklin had to say about this, that those who would sacrifice freedom for safety deserved neither. I think that's worth remembering.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 02-12-2017 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Substituted a more relevent post

Old 02-12-2017, 07:15 PM

19,619 posts, read 22,502,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
So you mean to tell me more Americans (or Anglo/European descent) are committing more terrorist attacks than those of muslim ideology? If you want an open door policy, you are funding a terorrist attack because you are ASKING for it by just letting any old tom, dick, and harry into the country . Its not white Christian evangelists committing terrorist attacks on Americans at the day according to the overall statistics of terrorist attacks.

Truth is the truth
Got a joke for ya- An Alt-right kid goes into a black church and....

Oh wait, that's not a joke...

Okay okay okay.. So this Alt right white guy in Oklahoma rents a panel truck and loads it with some fertilizer....

Oh wait... That was awfully real too..

Need I go on? You're the risk dude, and they are watching.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:23 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,557,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Got a joke for ya- An Alt-right kid goes into a black church and....

Oh wait, that's not a joke...

Okay okay okay.. So this Alt right white guy in Oklahoma rents a panel truck and loads it with some fertilizer....

Oh wait... That was awfully real too..

Need I go on? You're the risk dude, and they are watching.

No one said that Terrorists have to be Muslims. However its a fact that most Terrorists are Muslims. Need I go on?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
. But I do recall what Franklin had to say about this, that those who would sacrifice freedom for safety deserved neither. I think that's worth remembering.
Being free and safer is Trumps option, so you can have both. Thats also worth remembering.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Why do conservatives suddenly hate America, by the way? The judicial branch is pretty important to, you know, being America.

Why do the Liberals burn and tear up things because they did not get their way? That's contrary to the Judicial system which says that's illegal. Do they hate America? Why do Liberals think its OK to beat up people who voted against them, like Nazis or Fascists? The Judicial system says thats against the Law. Do they Hate America? You need to brush up on who the real haters are.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,575,727 times
Why are these non-specific rants/flame-bait posts allowed on this forum? They do nothing to foster debate, just open up a litany of personal attacks.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,854,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Being free and safer is Trumps option, so you can have both. Thats also worth remembering.
Then why do I feel both less free and less safe since the inauguration?

Oh, that's right, you're the poster who "explained" how Russia had liberated Crimea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies