Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:35 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times

Advertisements

English has and will be the unofficial language in the USA. Second generation and beyond always learn English faster then parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 05:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You earned nothing, you just happened to be born in the place where you were taught English. But from inception?? No- Spanish- French and then maybe English, at least from the settlers who came to kill off the rest. Let me not forget Chinese and who knows what else, People were already here before the killing and dominance came.
Did they call you the ugly gringo in Central America ? you did not assimilate to them while there ....
you really dont know much about americas history do you? even before "the white man" came, the natives were in fact at war with each other. this land was not one of constant peace and tranquility.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:32 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cool! I think we should make it official
For what? Unofficial languages appear when needed. You lefty jack boots never seem to pass a chance to codify and oppress the freedom of people to act on their own. You think you lefties had something to do with gay marriage I suppose. Oh I don't much care for the concept of state controlled marriage as it is, but that is not the point. The point is gay marriage as a state policy came about because more and more people just didn't give a crap. When 25% didn't give a crap and 75% did , the government blocked it . Gays could not marry. An emphasis on local laws however does not leave it to winner take all and it does not happen as a lagging indicator. If 50% of the country thinks Spanish is that precious then its already embedded in the society. Its already working where needed . Everywhere else it is not needed will just be inapplicable. Why would it need the states help when it got to 50% already?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:30 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
YEAH, as others have pointed-out.............WHAT official language?????

Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I find it annoying to go into a store and see bilingual signs. Go into a store of the same chain in Mexico and it is Spanish only.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How about the millions of Puerto Ricans that live in the US?
Trump supporters generally think Puerto Rico is part of Mexico. Remember, these are people who think the Bowling Green Massacre actually happened.

Quote:
It's more fun pretending that English is a critically endangered species that is on the verge of extinction in a generation.

You know, kinda like Scottish Gaelic
You know, it's amazing how similar the "English Only" movement is to the hysteria promoted by Tony Fas Alzamora. The same ignorant arguments. NOBODY wants to replace Spanish with English in Puerto Rico, or English with Spanish on the mainland. What people are advocating for is bilingualism where both languages are equal (aka "English Plus")... Tony Fas and the "English Only" clowns are the stuck in the past still fighting the battles of yesteryear. They are jousting at windmills ...

Old 02-12-2017, 08:47 PM

62,870 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I find it annoying to go into a store and see bilingual signs. Go into a store of the same chain in Mexico and it is Spanish only.

Liberals and ethnocentrics think that's ok though. Only the U.S. with only 50 million Hispanics including illegal aliens vs 270 million non-Spanish speakers think that Spanish should be our official language even though most native Spanish speakers also know English. Spanish is only spoken in certain areas also not all over the U.S. This is their bizzaro world.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:13 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
How about the millions of Puerto Ricans that live in the US?
Ricans really don't count cause their birthrate's below replacement level and word is the island's being more anglo white in people and culture in 2017.

Back to Spanish being an official language; the answer is NO. Tho I'm def Ok with English be official.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:23 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Let's make Arabic an official language . Isn't it kind of islamaphobic that it's not ?

Old 02-13-2017, 03:27 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Efficiency alone indicates we need to make English our official language. I'd even vote for that. It's the logical choice. I have yet to see a logical argument otherwisr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies