Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:46 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times

Advertisements

Considering that "Black History Month" (February) is the shortest month of the year, it looks like black folks got the raw end of the deal.

"National Hispanic Heritage Month" runs from September 15 to October 15. "Asian Pacific American Heritage Month" takes place in May. "Native American Indian Heritage Month" takes place in November. "Filipino American History Month" takes place in October. And, March is usually "Irish-American Heritage Month"…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 04:54 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Considering that "Black History Month" (February) is the shortest month of the year, it looks like black folks got the raw end of the deal.

"National Hispanic Heritage Month" runs from September 15 to October 15. "[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Pacific_American_Heritage_Month"]Asian Pacific American Heritage Month[sío/URL]" takes place in May. "Native American Indian Heritage Month" takes place in November. "Filipino American History Month" takes place in October. And, March is usually "Irish-American Heritage Month"…
Sometimes people just need to stop. Black History Month predates all of those by decades and February was chosen since it was the month Frederick Douglass was born.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:58 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
From my experienc the only thing we do for BHM is a guest speaker every few years, and the largest thnicity in my school is black (25-30%)

Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
It was needed before because of my generation didn't get any information about famous black people or about Jim Crow or anything in school. As a matter of fact, my earliest memory of black people was watching the Newark riots on TV. It was frightening. There was nothing to explain to a kid why this was happening.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sometimes people just need to stop. Black History Month predates all of those by decades and February was chosen since it was the month Frederick Douglass was born.
Folks might stop celebrating various "history months" when they run out of months...

Old 02-12-2017, 07:21 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Trump History Month is in the workings.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
I'm middle-aged and grew up out west. We learned about Rosa Parks, MLK and others who were instrumental in the civil rights movement. It wasn't very interesting to me because it didn't have any relation to me. Teenagers are so unconcerned with anything outside their own little worlds.

It was only when I got older, and learned about little-known Blacks like Crispus Attucks, Bass Reeves and Matthew Henson that I had an appreciation for Black History Month, since it was searching for someone for my kid to report on that led me to their stories. I appreciate now what MLK did (and have mixed feelings about Rosa Parks after I found out about Claudette Colvin), but not many people can relate to him - like any other great leader, he seems almost unreal. It's the somewhat more ordinary individuals that inspire me.

To the OP's point, I haven't seen my kids come home with anything related to Black History this year, but then we're only halfway through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies