Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,907,387 times

Advertisements

We get it bro. You hate the coasts and large portions of the United States. Yawn.

I'd still pay to live in LA any day of the week over Toledo. Sorry, I enjoy things other than strip malls and chain restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:22 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,719,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Another thread about moving to some Gawdforsaken place in the middle of nowhere because the houses are cheap.
I'd take cheap housing in places like Ohio or Indiana than to live in California, where it's overpriced, overtaxed and over-regulated. Why do you think so many Californians flee and move to cheaper states like Nevada, Utah, Arizona or Texas?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:32 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,252,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Toledo is on Lake Erie and likely has warmer water in the summer then California. Besides because of high rents on retail in California coffee shops tend to be extremely small and it is hard to find seating. In areas where commercial rents are low, coffee houses tend to be huge.

Looks like Lake Erie water temperatures go up to about 79 degrees in the summer. Compare that to water temperatures in the 60s at best in California.

Great Lakes water temperatures surging with summer heat | MLive.com

There are about 20 coffee places in the city of Toledo, so I think that is more then enough.

The median wage in Toledo is $867 compared to $1,079 in Los Angeles

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cewqtr.t01.htm

Wages are about 20% higher in Los Angeles, but rent is nearly 5 times as much.

Honestly, I would be very reluctant to eat out in California. The restaurant volumes are very high, the number of rushed workers is low and there is lots of cross contamination going on between the raw meat and raw veggies in such a small work environment.

If the Los Angeles health department is looking the other way with the food stands on Alverado in Westlake serving fruits and veggies out of plastic bags and meat out of camp coolers, then I don't trust the restaurants.

Many of the worker's on the food trucks in southern California live in crowded conditions where viruses spread like crazy. Why would I want to eat stuff of a food cart when the person making the food lives in filthy, crowded apartment with a dozen roommates and rides the dirty crowded buses with their work uniform.
I have great news for you! The city you prefer is much cheaper than Los Angeles. You should be celebrating your good fortune.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,774,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I live in a low COL area and this is why welfare fraud and disability fraud is so much more common here. Where I live someone on disability who also works part time makes enough for an apartment and decent used car. In fact in some areas where a large percent of residents are on some type of govt. program housing is priced down to the average payout ($800 to $1000). You can rent a house for $400 a month in rural Kentucky. High COL liberal areas get hosed big time because the govt. doesn't weight transfer payments for COL.
Well that actually makes sense in a way..if you're poor, you should live in a low cost of living area.

We shouldn't be putting up poor people in beachfront property on the taxpayer's dime lol.

In my city it's kind of disgusting they put some of the income adjusted housing right in the center part of the city, on the riverfront w/ decent views and a bike trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Right-wingers and their witty comebacks.

Fun fact: the Los Angeles MSA has an economy twice the size of Ohio. As in, the entire friggin state.

Maybe that's why LA has a 2.7% vacancy rate and places like Toledo resemble less cheery-looking versions of Chernobyl.
Well it has over twice as many people too..and who knows how many illegals.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,457,371 times
Quote:
I think that is interesting how people in big cities say that "median income is not a worry", I guess it just shows how out of touch they are.

West Coast liberalism really does take the tone of "not my worry". Eric Garcetti is the "not my worry" mayor.

Thousands of homeless, areas reeking of urine, sidewalks blocked from sleeping tents in the middle of downtown is "not their worry" to the Los Angeles city council.

I am conservative, but I have to say at least Boston, New York and the east coast liberal establishment spends some of the wasted tax payer dollar to actually help those get back on their feet. Los Angeles and San Francisco liberalism is very weird in my opinion and ignores every social issue.

Even the elite are stepping in human waste just to grab a bite to eat at lunch and yet they ignore it and then they claim they are for social justice.

Social justice is people having a nice apartment to call their own on minimum wage in Toledo not tens of thousands of people living in tents like what Garcetti's vision of social justice is.

The out of touch elite mentality is the reason why the South and Midwest elect the president of the United States and can vote a bloc and drown out any political prowess of California.

Most people in middle-America are not fixated on kimchee, micobreweries and opera. It is basically the wealthy, connected elite in a few select areas of West Los Angeles.

I do think it is nice that those who enjoy kimchee, wine and opera stay concentrated in liberal cities and liberal states that vote a certain way. That pretty much ensures that people who enjoy church, BBQ and non-materialistic values decide who ever controls the presidency and United States senate and house.
You act as if you're the majority. At least half the country doesn't value church and the other social conservative garbage that you seem to, no need for the south and the plains to shove it down the rest of the countries throats

Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,051,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
We get it bro. You hate the coasts and large portions of the United States. Yawn.

I'd still pay to live in LA any day of the week over Toledo. Sorry, I enjoy things other than strip malls and chain restaurants.
Fine. Live there, but don't expect me to subsidizing your Life-Style.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,229,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The question is why so many people chose to abandon their homes if the city is so great? They abandoned those awesome cheap houses and the city had to have them destroyed. Toledo also has more violent crime so it's easy to find locations for crime with so many abandoned houses. Why is that if Toledo is so great?
Hmm… Toledo has abandoned houses that the city is destroying...

Quote:
Thousands of homeless, areas reeking of urine, sidewalks blocked from sleeping tents in the middle of downtown is "not their worry" to the Los Angeles city council.
And, Los Angeles has "thousands of homeless"…

Good thing the powers-that-be in Los Angeles haven't realized the cost-effectiveness of purchasing and renovating abandoned houses in Toledo and sending its homeless population there.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:16 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,363,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post

Well it has over twice as many people too..and who knows how many illegals.
Nope.

Los Angeles MSA has a population of 13 million; Ohio, 11.6 million.

They're more or less comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Fine. Live there, but don't expect me to subsidizing your Life-Style.
I repeat: Los Angeles has a GDP twice the size of Ohio. Take a wild guess which of the two contributes more in taxes.

Ohio couldn't "subsidize" California in its dreams.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:16 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,553,092 times
Quote:
State Minimum Wages | 2017 Minimum Wage by State

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2017/02/...february-2017/

Median rent in Toledo for a 1 bedroom: $420

Median rent in Los Angeles for 1 bedroom: $2,000

Minimum wage in Toledo: $8.15

Minimum wage in California: $10.50

Ironically, even when the minimum wage is $15 an hour in California the after-tax wage on that $15 will be $11.52 which means 173 hours of after-tax will required on minimum wage in California for a median 1 bedroom apartment.

Basically, even after the minimum wage is $15 an California with the higher tax brackets it will be a net of $11.52 which would basically reduce the numbers of hours per month required for a 1 bedroom median apartment from 190 to 173 hours.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/58...983741!6m1!1e1

This is what $430 rents in Toledo.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/46...olC0oQxB0IHDAA

This is what $2,095 rents in Los Angeles
I am really surprised you didn't include Denver in this post because you have made it clear how much you hate it in the Denver forum.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,234,309 times
California vs Ohio now?

Was Texas eliminated in the previous round?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies