Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,140,357 times

Advertisements

Yeah, let's just ignore the fact that many heroin users today do so after becoming dependent on prescription drugs and then no longer being able to afford them as heroin is actually much cheaper. Why worry about those losers? After all, BigPharma's already squeezed as much $$$ from them as they're going to get.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 PM

1,896 posts, read 806,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Like there needs to be a wake up call? Unless you've been living under a rock, it's no secret illegal drugs are rampant almost everywhere.
My point was to wake up that our failed policy of treating it as a law enforcement issue is beyond disastrous.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,432,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
52 overdoses reported in 32 hours in Louisville, Kentucky | FOX31 Denver

It's too bad the war on drugs doesn't target the people that actually use dangerous drugs. Heroin, alcohol, and pills don't sound like hood things. So many resources wasted on people that clearly don't want to live.

Mother Nature, does not have any set way to cull the weak, the freaks, or the stupid idiots.

Last edited by BentBow; 02-12-2017 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 06:47 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,961,649 times
I am not callous (I lost two stepsons to drugs and alcohol and a husband to alcohol - and all were from TX, your area as a matter of fact) but this whole mess of ODs IS getting out of hand in some areas in particular.

Before the final OD where nothing can save these people is often a long series of close calls and a life lost to the vagaries of drug use etc. Is it really worth rescuing all of these people who are hell bent on killing themselves it seems, over and over, at great expense - especially when others with legitimate health crises may be waiting or not getting good care while someone is saved from an OD death?

Families are devastated and often people are robbed or otherwise hurt by those who indulge. I loved all my lost souls but except for my husband (who died primarily because of what he went through with his sons and the guilt he felt because he didn't want to abandon them but didn't really know what else to do at some points) it was almost a relief when the end came. There is really little real help (that can be afforded) for many of these people - and in some areas the kids are now getting hooked in GRADE SCHOOL. Their entire development ceases at that point so even if they are 'rescued' from it all later in life, they never really catch up.

In many places too, fentanyl is a growing problem - and a single grain of it can kill someone very quickly from what I have heard - and post offices are now having to screen even letters because such a small bit can be sent easily in the mail. There is always some new drug. I read the other day that young teens are now buying morning glory seeds because they are like LSD (but milder) and give a hallucinatory high. Hardware stores in the north are being cleaned out of seeds (by teens who have never planted a garden .. but certainly won't in a snowbank) in February ... seeds that small store may not sell one package a summer of to adults. There is always some new thing coming along and people willing to test the limits for a high.

Frankly I am beginning to think we should drop the transgender training that seems to start in kindergarten and start spending that time and money on getting kids educated about drugs!

So no .. I am not callous but I see the problems for society with what is happening right now with drugs and I am less and less interested in us trying to rescue those who are already really lost. I have great empathy for those who are dealing with kids or spouses etc who are drug addicted, believe me - and I pray none of them lose their loved ones but this kind of epidemic tells us something has to give - and if someone has to go, perhaps it should be those who played with that kind of fire (it probably will be eventually anyway if they don't/can't stop). I am not so sure I would vote for someone OD'ing being rescued from themselves any more.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-12-2017 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 02-12-2017, 06:49 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,080,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Hopefully as a wake up call to acknowledge drug and alcohol abuse as a public health issue and eliminate this police state we've created by treating it as a law enforcement issue.
Why don't you two take drug addicts into your own home, so you can coddle them any way you please without using my tax-dollars?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-12-2017 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 02-12-2017, 06:54 PM

1,896 posts, read 806,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why don't you two take drug addicts into your own home, so you can coddle them any way you please without using my tax-dollars?
You're tax dollars are paying for the drug task forces/agencies at your local, county, state, and the federal level. Toss in the international money we give out to fight drugs abroad. Throw in some prisons at the local, county, state, and federal level .... Seems you're tax dollars are being spent regardless...

Question is.... what's a better use of them to address this issue? We've tried law enforcement and prohibition for the past 50 years.... and prohibition once before about 90 years year ago.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,140,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I am not callous (I lost two stepsons to drugs and alcohol and a husband to alcohol - and all were from TX, your area as a matter of fact) but this whole mess of ODs IS getting out of hand in some areas in particular.

Before the final OD where nothing can save these people is often a long series of close calls and a life lost to the vagaries of drug use etc. Is it really worth rescuing all of these people who are hell bent on killing themselves it seems, over and over, at great expense - especially when others with legitimate health crises may be waiting or not getting good care while someone is saved from an OD death?

While millions are able to enjoy a sociable cocktail with no ill effect, some become physically addicted to alcohol. The same can be said of prescription opioids, they help many thru painful periods with no lasting cravings, others become addicted.

I think before any policy decisions can be made we first have to decide if addiction should be treated as a disease or a criminal act?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:06 PM

22,619 posts, read 24,446,970 times
I would make drug-USE either legal or a very low-level crime.

The real danger is violent dealers who endanger people and/or blight communities by selling drugs in the open.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 PM

626 posts, read 378,683 times
im starting to get worried this is gonna start hitting VA soon...

Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 PM

45,056 posts, read 60,109,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
im starting to get worried this is gonna start hitting VA soon...
It's already there.

It's not heroin in most cases causing the overdoses but synthetics and fentanyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies