Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:37 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
oh stop it, this constant blame game is just silly. Did you even research this issue? It was Schwarzenneger and FERC under the Bush administration who failed to fix it in 2005.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter who you blame, it was a 'black swan' event. It was the first time in 48 years that the spillway had to be used, it's a little like Katrina but on a smaller scale. How well can you prepare, and how much do you spend to prepare against events that aren't expected to occur?
2005 study be the Sierra Club reiterated the need for improvements and were ignored by State and Fed authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 AM
SFX

1,637 posts, read 893,185 times
Quote:
How well can you prepare, and how much do you spend to prepare against events that aren't expected to occur?
Well, if experience is any guide, nothing at all.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:06 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
2005 study be the Sierra Club reiterated the need for improvements and were ignored by State and Fed authorities.
I know, I read the article before I posted it. But does it do any good to blame Bush or Schwarzenneger for not fixing it? I just don't understand this idea that we have to find someone to wag our finger at for every single problem.

In the scheme of things if we didn't spend so much on defense we could probably spend more money on infrastructure so maybe we should blame the problem with the Oroville dam on politicians who don't think that spending 600 billion a year on the military is enough.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I know, I read the article before I posted it. But does it do any good to blame Bush or Schwarzenneger for not fixing it? I just don't understand this idea that we have to find someone to wag our finger at for every single problem.

In the scheme of things if we didn't spend so much on defense we could probably spend more money on infrastructure so maybe we should blame the problem with the Oroville dam on politicians who don't think that spending 600 billion a year on the military is enough.

DING! DING! DING!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the WINNER!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times
Turns out the sudden influx of water was just from Donald draining the swamp.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There are a lot of reasons to be very worried about this dam, not least of which are the hydroelectric power plants associated with it.
As I was following this last night - I saw this, and you are correct there is a lot involved in a failure if they can't manage the flows. None of it sounds good.
[/b][/url=http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132356269.html]Expert: If emergency spillway collapses, Highway 70 corridor ‘is gone’|sacbee 2/12/17[/b][/url]

News has sorta dried up - nothing coming from the State or Water Control. I've found a few things on twitter.

Update Feb 11 2017:
At around 8:00 AM on Feb 11, the water started to flow over the emergency spillway:

This picture is from this morning at the emergency spillway - it's beginning to erode. That's a real problem.
It's really bad problem. The Media still doesn't seem to understand the difference between the "Main Spillway (with the giant hole) and the "Emergency Spillway" (which has a concrete dam at the top with an earth pathway down) - it is the concrete top that is showing some erosion. If it goes, they can't control any of the flow down the emergency route.

Image showing the erosion on the emergency spillway, this is the major problem that prompted the evacuations #OrovilleDam #OrovilleSpillway

Real Time Data Department Water Resources - California Data Exchange Center

This is the morning Up-Date from the Sacramento Bee -

Anyone along this pathway needs to be really careful - anyone who has friends in the area should pass on information that you have. It could be that they will have problems getting good information. In these cases - Twitter is almost always the most up to date. CA State does not a good record with getting information out.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:10 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
As these people struggle and depart from a dangerous area- they do not get to work- or go to school etc. their businesses might fail- if they survive at all
point is: the banks and the credit consumer agencies are ready to suck them bone-dry with bad credit and non payments etc. this is what happens if you survive such an event- if the flood waters do not get ya- bet on the credit bureaus to destroy your life--
I do pray it is all averted- and it holds with without major damage and loss of life or property. Being from east coast can only tell you how it goes after the clean up --

Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Is this another blessed event from the US Army Corps of Engineers?

I recon out West its the Bureau of Reclamation.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 PM

My mistake. It was the California Department of Water Resources.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
How is this political?

Because infrastructure has been politicized. Behold the results of America last.

D+

American Infrastructure Report Card | Society of Civil Engineers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies